• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Android

DigitalSifu

Lurker
Aug 15, 2010
Hello all...

Just jumped on the Android wagon after a long stint with Blackberry. Tons of smartphone and PDA experience before that (Ipaqs, Treos, Windows mobile), but finally decided on blackberry for the past 4 years.

Well, after the latest "revolution" of Blackberry 6 (I was on AT&T, and was anxiously awaiting the Torch), I was sorely disappointed. Not but a day or two after the Torch's release, a co-worker of mine came by my office with his Droid X. After 5 minutes of playing with it, I was blown away by what was "normal" to the Android platform. I won't totally knock BB (it has its strong points as a pure messaging platform) , but it is a very crippled experience next to Android. I was hooked.

Well, I was thinking of staying with AT&T, but they just didn't have the Android devices that really met my needs. I almost went for the Samsung Captivate, but was deterred by the known GPS issues. I finally made up my mind that I was tired of living in the land that caters to iPhone. I decided to jump ship out of my contract and go over to Verizon, where I am now the happy owner of the Droid 2. Coming from BB, I just HAD to have a keyboard. Maybe in time I can learn to live without one, but my typing kung fu is just no good on a screen yet.

Well, so far, the Droid2 rocks, and so does this platform. I now feel like I am a part of a community that is thriving and aiming for the sky, rather than stuck with a platform playing catch-up, or just trying to make the techno-phobes happy (yeah, that's a shot at RIM... so what).

Looking forward to learning a lot and having fun doing it. See yiz on the forums.

-DS

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones