• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New to rooting

ewarren29

Sep 9, 2010
I want to root, but am a little curious. I have been reading a lot and trying to figure out wich rom to choose. In the meantime can I walk around with clockwork mod on the phone and no custom rom. I couldn't see why not but a little nervous to mess up phone. Thanks

I want to root, but am a little curious. I have been reading a lot and trying to figure out wich rom to choose. In the meantime can I walk around with clockwork mod on the phone and no custom rom. I couldn't see why not but a little nervous to mess up phone. Thanks

You can walk around using clockwork mod if you root using 2.5.5. If you root with 3.0.0.6 it will convert your filesystem to ext4 and you will HAVE to flash a rom right after you boot into clockwork. So you do need to make sure if you are going to root with 3.0.0.6 you have the rom on your sd card before you boot into clockwork. I have made videos for both 2.5.5 and 3.0.0.6. Check them out: http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-al...you-need-know-how-do-something-4-20-11-a.html

Any other questions just let me know :)

Upvote 0
Ok great thank you for your help. What roms do you suggest being that I am new to rooting ? I wa looking at midnight or syndicate frozen.

Both are good ROMs I'm partial to Syndicate :)
Midnights is great also as it lets you install what apps you want installed so its great if you want to decide if you want any bloat put on your phone or not as opposed to most ROMs that just remove it all :p

Either ROM is good and has equal DEV support so you shouldnt be stuck with a problem long at all. And if the DEvs dont answer many of us in the forums have knowledge we have learned from our experiences with them so just feel free to ask :p
GL

Upvote 0
You can walk around using clockwork mod if you root using 2.5.5. If you root with 3.0.0.6 it will convert your filesystem to ext4 and you will HAVE to flash a rom right after you boot into clockwork. So you do need to make sure if you are going to root with 3.0.0.6 you have the rom on your sd card before you boot into clockwork. I have made videos for both 2.5.5 and 3.0.0.6. Check them out: http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-al...you-need-know-how-do-something-4-20-11-a.html

Any other questions just let me know :)

That's you? Thank you so much for the videos! I think that's your vid for Odin, too, right? I've had to use it a couple of times. hehe Thank you!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones