• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Newb to the Droid X 2.3.3 Root... Need help

Poseidon126

Jul 25, 2010
Hey guys

So after having this phone for over a year, I finally decided to get it rooted. Just 10 minutes ago, I rooted this phone using the One-click method I got from this website:

How to: Root the DROID2, DROIDX2, DROIDX, and DROID3 Running Gingerbread - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

It all went over very smoothly to my surprise, especially since I have been known to almost ALWAYS run into some sort of technical issue with any kind of device as I am not very technically fluent with most technology.

Now, I mainly rooted my X for the Hotspot access, and hearing about all this amazing stuff I can do... But here is the thing...

How the HECK do I get started? I look around at my phone and I can barely see anything different. What I'm asking is, How do I get started?

Need to help me out here, I mean, I have no idea what a ROM is, about to go look that up right now though.

Any help would be great, point me to some Droid X Root guides would be awesome as well.

Thanks in advance guys!
Poseidon

Reactions: bswnyca
Like poseidon suggested I tried Garden and it *appears* to work. I have to try it out later though as I didn't try and connect any devices to it.

As far as noticing a difference on your phone, you won't. Rooting a phone is like taking the governor off your car. You won't notice any difference unless you take advantage of your new abilities! Some things I would suggest you try (In order from ease/chance of problems)

1. Get Titanium Back for root users. This app allows you to back up your applications AND their data. This way if you ever need to factory reset your phone your apps don't need to be redownloaded. PLUS you keep your data, so no more starting over in Angry Birds! :p It's an essential app no rooted user should be without so it gets it's own number section!

2. Explore other root apps! There is a whole thread full of them, but apps that require root vary in functionality and most won't be needed by a casual user. My personal suggestions:

QuickClock Advanced - Allows you to Overclock/Underclock/Undervolt your phone. I know that sounds really complicated but it has a setting to automatically detect the perfect settings for your CPU.

Autokiller Memory Optimizer - This app seems pretty complex when you first start it as well. Basically what it does is change how Android handles background tasks. It more aggressively kills apps sucking your memory and as a result will make your phone more snappy. Simply start it up, press the menu button, and choose a "profile" I'm on Morderate myself

Widgetsoid - A fantastic app on it's own, but with root permissions it can do so much more. For example I have a widget on my homescreen to reboot my phone (Hot reboot, Reboot, Reboot into Recovery, and Reboot into bootloader)

ShootMe - this app allows you to take screenshots of your homescreen to share with people. :)

There are many many more, just explore!

3. Get Droid2Bootstrapper - This is an essential part of installing and trying other ROMS. But I give it it's own section because before you do any of that. You should take advantage of your new root ability and make a BACKUP! A nandroid backup is essentially a system image. A snapshot of what your phone is RIGHT NOW! With Droid 2 Bootstrapper you click the top button (it will say success) then click reboot recovery and you will be in clockwork recovery (you will get used to using this over time I'm sure). From here you use the volume keys to navigate and the camera button to select. Select Backup and Restore->Backup. It will take a little while but you will now be backed up! Now you are free to move on below and try some new ROMS!

4. Try some Blur-Based ROMS! I won't go into detail on how to install ROMS here, this post is already far longer than I originally intended (I'm just hopped up on energy drinks) but assuming you are now on rooted .602 (Gingerbread) a good starting point for exploration are .602 roms because they require very little on your part. Right now I only know of 2 of these ROMS: Apex 3.0 and Shuji 2.0. Both are very stable and fast. They are great on battery, and will be the closest to the experience you are currently having.

and last but not least...

5. Try some TRUE AOSP 2nd-Init ROMS. These are "slightly" more complicated to get running. But it's a true "phone hackers" dream. Completely custom ROMS written for your phone.

If you have any questions feel free to ask here, the guides here taught me everything I know, and they know much more still. I'm still pretty fresh myself! :) Good luck!

Upvote 0
Have just rooted my X using the instructions provided and all went well! When I followed the instructions to back my phone up using the Droid X Bootstrapper back up I get a black screen and it never goes beyond. Am I doing something wrong or is there a step I am missing?

You need to take extra steps to get the Droid X Bootstrapper to work, it is a general consensus on here that the Droid 2 Bootstrapper has less issues, and that is what everybody uses.

Upvote 0
I too rooted my Droid X using the same link as Poseidon126 I dont see any differences other than the superuser icon now showing up. So first thing I did was to download Titanium backup... it asked for root access which i gave but it said it could not acquire root access :-( what do I need to do to give it access? Did the rooting not work??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones