• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Next RUU to unlock our bootloader?

the first idea that comes to my mind... is that the latest RUU jcase has for the thunderbolt hs htc bootloader unlock support. :D

smartass answer aside,lol, that is contradictory to everything else that has been speculated at this point. no one really thot htc would waste R&D on a phone whose bootloader had allready been cracked.

if thats the case,i see it as a good thing... its nice peace of mind that failing everything else,even if youve accepted the GB OTA,that youll be able to unlock it via htc and become rooted again.

im slackin...i havent been on twitter since early this morning. thanks for sharin :)

jcase tweeted this later:
TeamAndIRC ✔ jcase
Those disputing the unlockable bootloader on thunderbolt claims http://j.mp/popTkC (DO NOT FLASH THIS, requires code from htc to unlock).

i downloaded it and tried to look at it,but extracting it all it contains is an image. the other bootloaders i have on my PC i could not extract. i dont doubt now that the new bootloader does have support... im sure he wouldnt claim it too if it didnt. until we have 100% support from htc(i.e.,the key :eek:) im definately not flashing it to find out ;)

android police had this to say:
AndroidPolice Android Police
According to @TeamAndIRC, the latest Thunderbolt leak has support for the HTC bootloader unlock. Not sure if it'll be ever activated though.

this is a pretty good point. just becasue the new bootloader contains support,doesnt mean that the new dev website will. htc may never actually take the steps to provide us with a key.

Very true. Not that it matters, since I am...already unlocked. Just figured I'd toss it out there for backup plans if and when HTC ever gives us the key.

I agree it's interesting news. I hope they do provide full support even tho ill likely never need it.

I'd like to see how this plays out on other devices before being the "guinea pig" again (read: 1st LTE device) The idea of signing up and stating that I plan to break my warranty is worrisome. What happens when you have a hardware issue and go to VZW for repairs? (say your volume button stops functioning) They look you up and say "sorry, your warranty is voided because you unlocked your bootloader" I like the idea of this, but not the consequences of it.

I like to think they will take care of obvious hardware issues... I don't think you'll ever find software to make your volume button not work,or you batery covet not fit :eek: I agree tho,I don't want to be the one to find out. Hopefully alpharev will attack new HTC devices as they come out so well never have to use HTC bootloader unlocking.

On a positive note,it does still make me happy to see evidence of them keeping their word about it.

If push came to shove and I found myself the owner of a device no one could crack,I would be willing to void all or parts of my warranty for the ability to root :)

If push came to shove and I found myself the owner of a device no one could crack,I would be willing to void all or parts of my warranty for the ability to root :)

I more than likely would as well. I would never own an Android phone I couldn't root. I would be extremely worried about doing it the HTC way, though.

What worries me is if they can see you unlocked the bootloader what if that causes them to decide something like "you can tether without us being alerted of it so you need to purchase a tethering plan"

What worries me is if they can see you unlocked the bootloader what if that causes them to decide something like "you can tether without us being alerted of it so you need to purchase a tethering plan"

That's another thing I completely overlooked. While I'm happy to see HTC trying to appease us rooters, this current method (from what we've heard about it) seems way too flawed and risky, IMO

I won't own a phone that I can't root/flash custom roms onto. Preferably something that is AOSP. So, this would be a step in the right direction for me, if they lock down the bootloaders.

I do like the fact that their word so far is being kept. Kudos to HTC?

Back
Top Bottom