• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus S kept failing apps and forcing me to remove battery and turn back on

Nexus18

Lurker
Aug 12, 2012
Happened to me twice this weekend while using apps like Facebook and email. After removing the battery since it would not turn off normally and restarting twice, it happened again tonight. However, I cannot get my phone to boot back up. It shows the usual Google loading screen then blinks and is stuck at the Google lettering. Doesn't matter how far the battery is charged which I can see while plugged in and off. Any suggestions please?

Happened to me twice this weekend while using apps like Facebook and email. After removing the battery since it would not turn off normally and restarting twice, it happened again tonight. However, I cannot get my phone to boot back up. It shows the usual Google loading screen then blinks and is stuck at the Google lettering. Doesn't matter how far the battery is charged which I can see while plugged in and off. Any suggestions please?
Sounds like a reset is in order.
Since you can't get to the Settings, Boot into Recovery mode from powered OFF by holding both the Power and Volume Up for several seconds until the bootloader screen appears briefly. Release the buttons and the screen will appear black, but you're still in the bootloader and can't see the options. On the black screen Hold Power and tap the Volume Up button and you should see the Recovery Menu appear. From there I suggest you 'wipe cache' and then 'wipe data'. Select Reboot in the menu and when the phone boots up you should have the initial Setup screen appear and you can then set up your phone again.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response. When I do this and select recovery, the screen shows the Google lettering, then the Droid standing, and then the Droid laying down with the "belly door" open and an exclamation point in a red triangle, where I'm stuck. The battery was fully charged. Anything I'm missing?

Upvote 0
I was able to figure out how to wipe cache and factory data in recovery mode but this didn't help at all. Assume it's the end of the road for my phone and I need to replace it.
If you have Odin, I would try re-flashing the phone with the same or newer firmware. If you recently updated the phone, it may have been a bad flash/update. If that doesn't work, then the phone may have a physical issue with it's memory, or processor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones