• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus S - Total wipout of EVERYTHING

Hi guys...
I think i screwed up exploring my backup phone ( second phone i have ) which is google nexus S.....I was trying to upgrade the software/firmware and while doing it somehow ( yea i know sounds moronic ) ive decided to delete things too...once i was done deleting turned out i've deleted everything ..as in there is nothing left...I managed to connect the phone to my laptop and turn the cellphone into a frikin storage drive ..sorta like SD card...but there is NOTHING IN IT...
all i get is a boot menu where i can do recovery etc..b ut nothing there..
Is there ANY WAY i can download somewhere all the directories and files and just copy it into the phone ..sort of like copying files from one HD to another on a PC in order to have the phone start again?
A guy said he can do it for me reinstall everything ..for like 50 bucks but i'd rather save 50 bucks if i can ..I'm thinking that if i get like a zip file and unzip it into the phone main directory ..once there are files folders like there were from the original state the phone should work..well at least i hope it will ...
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELP!!!!!!!!!
Akira

ok ..im going to download this Wug..see what this is about..
what i can do actually is when i start the phone i get the android green man from mars so to speak...then i get a menu few options....
Fastboot Mode - no boot or recovery img ( this is in red )
product name - herring
hw version - rev 16
bootloader version = here i c bunch of numbers
baseband version - again bunch of numbers
carrier info - att ( weird im in canada with FIDO ) ..but i bought this phone used
serial number - again loads of numbers..
Lock State - Unlocked ( this in red again )

under this i see
Reboot Bootloader
reboot
recovery
Power off

clicking top 2 give me same screen over and over...
thirs one the recovery brings me to a menu where i see
ClockworkMod recovery v.5.0.2.0 ( that is on top ) and under it i see
Reboot system now
apply update from sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
install zip from sdcard
backup and restore
mounts and storage
advanced
power off

That is the menu where i can make selections..but nothing happens when i try restoring..since there r no files on the phone..:(....
Ill try to post as much info as i can...whatever you guys want to ask..ask..and ill see about posting it...
I gota take some courses on cellphones..bloody hell i need to learn about them ..its not like they are going away ...:) ...
thanks again!
and yep..im happy i found your forum here:)

Upvote 0
*****EDIT***************

WAIT! I see that you have CWM recovery working. Don't do these steps!

Alrighty, hopefully you see this before you try and drop $50 to get your phone fixed while you can easily do this!

1. Go to Google Developers and download the correct Factory Images for your phone (Check in the Manual, I *THINK* the phone will also say somewhere on the back or under the cover.

2. DOULBE CHECK the MD5HASH after you have downloaded this file. To do this, Google "MD5 Hash Checker" Google has this stated as the "SHA-1 Checksum." This is a file integrity check, making sure that your download is correct.

3. Next we will install Android-SDK. Link

4. After those have been installed, we will extract all of our files from the factory image. The program that you want/need to use here is 7-zip. From there you will find a .zip and .img files. We should only need the .zip file.

5. On Windows open up Command prompt. Type in
cd /yourlocation/android-sdk/platformtools/

6. Next type
fastboot devices
You should see that your phone is connected.

Post here when you have gotten this far. Thanks!

Reactions: AkiraWarrior
Upvote 0
Alright, so I have found ROMS that will work on your phone, but I need to know if it is a I9020A or I9020T. I honestly am not sure how to check that, so I need to find out how. If you know which that is, that would be awesome!

Once you find out, you need to download one of these ROMS:
I9020T
I9020A

Once you do that, connect your phone and open up ClockworkMod Recovery.
Under advanced options you should be able to mount your phone for storage. When you do that, copy and paste the ROM that you downloaded above and put it in there. Then hit the back button or go "Up one level" so that you are able to "Flash/Install."

You will then choose the new .zip file to flash. Swipe to flash, and let it do its thing. After that, reboot.

Cross your fingers, the first reboot may take a while and you may be able to rejoice!

Reactions: AkiraWarrior
Upvote 0
OMG OMG its working ..........ahahahah omggggggggggg....
i got this wus....no wait..wugs nexus toolkit...and from there trial and error in clicking on stuff..i locked the phone ..then unlocked it..then found out it was 9020a .:) ...i just came to tell you guys its running android 4.1.2 :)))) i managed to figure out the stuff you wrote in your messages:) ...the nexus downloaded some stuff..then i got the factory image i think it was called...damm so tired...1 am here..but once i started reading what you said and got wugs i was on a roll :) lol..and paid off..phone rebooted..nicely ..
not sure how it works with signal..havent checked the sim card yet..but its more now then i had before:)
wow...now i know what rooting your phone means...
thats basically giving yourself admin access ..:)...
hell i can customize this puppy L:)....

well ill be comming for more here:)....
for now i gota sleep..but tomorrow I will let you guys know whats up with test calls on it...
its a build JZ054K btw......there is a kernerl inof too...some 3.0.31 and more numbers after it......
sweeeeettttt :) im soooooooooo happy ...50 bucks in my pocket AND i've learned new stuff thanks to you ...actually havent learned it for good..but managed to figure out/got lucky for now...but ill readup on what the hell is what in the cellphone lingo..
nite nite
Akira

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones