• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root No Connecton/Baseband Unknown

SNeitzel

Android Enthusiast
I am trying to help a friend recover his DroidX and have an issue that I've never seen before.

This is on stock non-rooted DroidX. (Will be rooted soon I hope...)
His wife was using the phone when the it froze and rebooted itself.
When it did, it went directly into bootloader mode.
A couple of battery pulls etc. and finally got the phone to boot but now it will not connect at all. The signal bar show the red circle/slash across it.
In about this phone the Baseband says Unknown as does the ERI and PRL.
He tried *228 and doing a factory reset and even did a hard reset from the recovery screen.

It's out of warranty and V says they cannot help him so now he is going to bring it to me. I have lots of experience with the OG Droid and some with my new Bionic but I have never heard of this issue.

If/when I get it going again, it will be rooted and possibly ROM'd, depending on what he wants.

Searching the forums, I found a few posts but none seemed to have any solutions.

My first attempt is going to be the .sbf recovery from the All Things Root section.

I am wondering if anyone has come across this type of error before?
It seems to me this could be an actual hardware issue.

Thanks.

That's what I was going to suggest as well.

Sbf to 602, then go to settings... about phone... check for updates and get 605.

If it's still flaky, then factory reset. Don't think about rooting until you know it's working as intended.

UPDATE:
Flashed the 602 .sbf, and after reboot all seems well.
It now does have a baseband, ERI and PRL.
I applied the most recent OTA manually (.605) and rooted.
It will connect to Verizon customer Service so I think all is good.
He is coming by this weekend to pick it up and activate.

Thanks all for your help!

Glad a SBF worked.

Sounds like the radio got turned off by error. You can turn the radio off and on in test mode.

Open dialer
Dial *#*#4636#*#*
Select Phone information
Scroll down to the button "Turn off radio"

It's a toggle. When the radio is off the signal icon looks as you described.
Although About Phone is normal with radio off so it may have been more involved.

Just noticed how old the OP was. Oh well, info may help someone in the future.

Back
Top Bottom