• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Flash support from Adobe!?!?

homegeek

May 28, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know Adobe mentioned they were done with Flash but to not support it for 4.1 and to actually take it off the Android Market is incredible. A lot of sites have not switched from Flash to HTML 5 yet. What are we supposed to do?

Adobe confirms it won't support Flash on Android 4.1, stops new Flash installs from Google Play on August 15th -- Engadget

Adobe confirms it won't support Flash on Android 4.1, stops new Flash installs from Google Play on August 15th

By Jon Fingas posted Jun 28th 2012 11:55PM

Adobe was very public about dropping mobile Flash last fall. In case that wasn't clear enough, the developer just drew a line in the sand: Android 4.1 doesn't, and won't ever, get certification for Flash. The company is stopping short of saying that Flash won't run, but it's evident that Adobe won't help you if the web browser plugin doesn't install (or breaks in spectacular fashion) on that Nexus 7. Just to underscore the point, the firm is also halting new installations of Flash from Google Play as of August 15th. Security updates and other vital patches will continue on for existing users. Any fresh downloads after that fateful day, however, will have to come from Adobe's mausoleum for old versions. The company had already said that HTML5 was the way forward on phones and tablets -- now we know just how quickly it's backing up that claim.

It still works on 4.1 , at least on my Galaxy Nexus. Back up the apk on whatever device you have now and sideload it if you need it, after Aug 15 you'll be out of luck unless you can find a download

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-06-29-00-45-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-06-29-00-45-01.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_2012-06-29-00-46-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-06-29-00-46-02.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0
HTML 5 needs to hurry up to replace it, which is what's supposed to happen and why Apple have ignored Flash.

It's a shame because having Flash support is incredibly useful for video playback on all websites, not just those that offer an app, etc.

I guess we'll just have to get used to it, thankfully I'm on ICS so it's not a prob but it does make me think twice about this tablet.

Reactions: zombdroid
Upvote 0
I don't quite understand why this is getting so much coverage! Flash videos within the stock browser look ugly as hell. My phone does not register that I am watching a video almost 100% of the time and dims the backlight and even activates the lock screen. Also playing with the settings of the video are annoying as hell not talk about resizing it. I have no problem with flash going away. HTML5 most likely will use the default video viewing app to take advantage of the videos. I would like to have it as an option but it is not a necessity.

It is true that there are more flash websites than HTML5 but that will slowly change as flash is inaccessible. I also hope that the websites are reworked so that HiDef becomes the mark instead of being able to see the pixels on 360p.

Upvote 0
i got my nexus 7 on friday only to find out that there was no flash player for it in
Android Market no games work even iplayer ect don't work so i have ended up with a tablet that 90% of it won't work until when ever and not a peep from goggle as to what there doing about it should have saved up a bit longer and got an iPad

Upvote 0
It still works on 4.1 , at least on my Galaxy Nexus. Back up the apk on whatever device you have now and sideload it if you need it, after Aug 15 you'll be out of luck unless you can find a download

Installed it via TIBU and it say's it's not supported in Play Store and flash doesn't work in Chrome (stock browser).

Most Flash content is ads so NBD, but I just like the idea that I could use it if necessary.

Upvote 0
Head over to XDA Nexus 7 forum. Download flash player apk from there. Head over to mozilla website. Download firefox from there. Install both and enjoy flash content on your Nexus 7.

I've installed the Flash apk directly from the Adobe site and then the Firefox apk from their site but loading a page with Flash on it causes Firefox to crash and send a bug report. I just can't seem to get it to work.

I do hope Flash dies a death but at the moment I find the web to be pretty rubbish without the plugin installed.

Upvote 0
There are still a lot of Flash sites and work great with Tegra 3. Seems some people are spinning a bad thing. Losing functionality that still exists is not good. Android is getting more and more like Apple everyday. No micro sd, cloud push and now no Flash. They could have easily twi$ted Adobe's arm to cover a smoother transition.

Flash still has about two more years of prolific life. Two years for electronics is a long time and far beyond JB and the N7. Android could have been a lot more graceful in their transition effort.

Still, if it works for Dolphin and other browsers, no real problem.

Upvote 0
Head over to XDA Nexus 7 forum. Download flash player apk from there. Head over to mozilla website. Download firefox from there. Install both and enjoy flash content on your Nexus 7.
Could you post a link to the APK you used and was it the nightly beta that you downloaded from Mozilla? I have not rooted my Nexus 7 tablet as I have only had it for about a day.

Thanks for your help and support.

Upvote 0
There are still a lot of Flash sites and work great with Tegra 3. Seems some people are spinning a bad thing. Losing functionality that still exists is not good. Android is getting more and more like Apple everyday. No micro sd, cloud push and now no Flash. They could have easily twi$ted Adobe's arm to cover a smoother transition.

Flash still has about two more years of prolific life. Two years for electronics is a long time and far beyond JB and the N7. Android could have been a lot more graceful in their transition effort.

I think you have a pretty out-there illusion of the amount of control Google can and should exert on its partners and competitors in the software industry. Not to mention, you know, that it's illegal.

This is not an Android thing. This is not a Google thing. This is an Adobe thing. Period.

Upvote 0
HA! Got flash working. No flash got you down? Try this fix - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

You absolutely have to follow those instructions to the dot. Make sure that you uninstall any previous attempts at getting flash to work too. Finally a reason to use Firefox with the added benefit of ad block plus!

As a side note, why all the hate for flash? There's nothing seriously flawed in it.

Reactions: colchiro
Upvote 0
Checked it out. Firefox works fine for me with video, even full-screen. Dolphin browser works fine with small and medium video sizes, but crashes if I try to view video full-screen. Also, interestingly, the video that does work is actually better quality with Dolphin than with Firefox.

Upvote 0
i got my nexus 7 on friday only to find out that there was no flash player for it in
Android Market no games work even iplayer ect don't work so i have ended up with a tablet that 90% of it won't work until when ever and not a peep from goggle as to what there doing about it should have saved up a bit longer and got an iPad

I don't know what you'r doing wrong, but you seem to be alone in the issues you're posting here. I have flash working in dolphin and ff beta, and have yet to run into a game or app that won't work...

Flash was a hack job, but the games I play worked out of the box: Shadow gun, Final Fantasy III, Dead Space, Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, Mass Effect, Where's My Perry, and many more run better on my n7 than I ever could have dreamed on my gtab 10.1... PS Touch, PhotoEdit Pro, OfficeSuite 6, and every other app I've used has performed as well as my games have. I even play Cargo Bridge through SWF Player and it works fine...

In fact, the ONLY issue I've had with my tablet I consider a non-issue for now.. I have the slightest bit of screen separation on the left side.. I'll RMA it in a couple of months after they've had time to address it....

This is, hands down, the best Android device I've yet to own, and I've had some nice ones (galaxy s 4g, g2x, lg marquee, GTab 10.1 16gb WiFi, GTab 2 7.0).

Sounds to me like you might have a defective unit and should call Google..

As for the iPad comment.. If you're comfortable spending considerably more for considerably less hardware and don't mind lining the pockets of the Adolph Hitler of the computing world, knock yourself out.... iOS forums can be reached from the top of every page on this site.

P.S. Google didn't yank Flash from us, Adobe is finally deprecating it, so if yo want to be mad at someone, please direct your anger in a more appropriate direction: towards Adobe...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones