• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No PIN required after reboot / Almost 100% RAM usage

karshna

Lurker
Sony Xperia miro / ST31i
Android 4.0.4

I've had two strange things happening during the past 24 hours:

1) My phone froze while I was using an app (Ultimate Stopwatch) then rebooted after a few seconds. After completing the boot process I was not asked for my PIN and could still use the phone as usual. I thought this was very strange from a security point of view because I usually get asked for a PIN (rebooted manually just now and was asked as well). Are there any explanations why this would happen? Can Android/the phone somehow store/cache the PIN or does a freeze cause a different kind of reboot where the PIN is "remembered"?

2) I took a nap this afternoon and when I got up my phone was running very sluggish. Couldn't even open Contacts, most apps I tried to use would close after a few seconds. I checked Running Apps and RAM usage in the Apps menu and free RAM was down to a few MB, at times even KB. Android kept killing all processes, almost all "running processes" had a "Restarting" note next to them and there were no cached processes. What does that mean? Did a manual reboot and it's fine for now but I'm worried.

Any help/explanations appreciated. Thanks.

Hi karshna, the first problem could have been caused by the app in question freezing as the phone will have rebooted not powered completely off/on (there is a difference much when you perform these functions on a PC).

Regarding the second issue this could have also been due to a rouge app though is you have any task killers or battery saving apps I would be looking at uninstalling these first. If all else fails then please try an update/repair:

To repair the phone software
1. Install PC Companion on a Windows PC from Support at Download for PC - Sony Smartphones (Global UK English)
2. In PC Companion, under Support Zone and click Start.
3. Under Phone Software Update, click Start.
4. Click repair phone.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Back
Top Bottom