• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Noob needs helping rooting Evo4G - 1st time

I have had my evo since february of last year and have never rooted it before. I have recently decided to root my evo but am completely clueless when it comes to everything root and could REALLY use some help. I have a few questions that I was hoping somone could answer for me:

1st: Can someone point me to a guide that tells me all the steps I need to do a proper root? I dont mind the absence of shortcuts as I want to do it right with the least amount of risk for bricking my phone.

2nd: Do I need to follow different steps in order to root the most most up-to-date versions of android I may have installed? i.e. will i have to wait for a new root method to come out once a new ota android update becomes available (currently running android 2.3.5 build 4.67.651.3)

3rd: Is it possible for me to use the stock android/sense rom that is currently installed on my phone instead of flashing a custom one like cyanogen mod after rooting?

4th: Will I lose my google apps that came preinstalled, and if so, is there a way to prevent that?

Lastly: Lets say a new update comes out and I want to install it. Can I unroot my phone, install the update and reroot again? Is it possible to install the update without having to unroot @all? Or will I have to wait for a new rooting method to become available after the update is released?

I apologize for all the questions or if they sound dumb. As I said, I am new to the rooting world and want to make sure I do this correctly without bricking my phone or losing a certain functionality I might miss. Thank you for your time :)

I should probably also mention why I want to root my evo. I dont know if its relevant but...

I simply want to be able to delete certain apps that have come pre-installed on my device that it wont LET me delete. I would like to download and use certain apps from the market that require my phone to be rooted. Also, I would like to be able to use the wireless tether function everyone keeps talking about being able to do with a rooted phone.

Thats really it.

This is why I would like to keep the stock android/sense rom that came installed on my device. I just want to keep things simple. :)

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
what is your hboot? power the phone off then press and hold power+vol down. this will take you to the bootloader.

if your hboot is 2.15 or 2.16 then use this guide:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html

if you hboot is 2.10 or less then use this guide:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html

if your hboot is 2.18 then use this guide;
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

hope that helps.

Upvote 0
1st: Can someone point me to a guide that tells me all the steps I need to do a proper root? I dont mind the absence of shortcuts as I want to do it right with the least amount of risk for bricking my phone.

2nd: Do I need to follow different steps in order to root the most most up-to-date versions of android I may have installed? i.e. will i have to wait for a new root method to come out once a new ota android update becomes available (currently running android 2.3.5 build 4.67.651.3)

3rd: Is it possible for me to use the stock android/sense rom that is currently installed on my phone instead of flashing a custom one like cyanogen mod after rooting?

4th: Will I lose my google apps that came preinstalled, and if so, is there a way to prevent that?

Lastly: Lets say a new update comes out and I want to install it. Can I unroot my phone, install the update and reroot again? Is it possible to install the update without having to unroot @all? Or will I have to wait for a new rooting method to become available after the update is released?

Thank you for your time :)

My hboot is 2.18.001 thanks for your help with the guides. Any chance you may know anything regarding my other inquiries?

sure no problem. so here it goes:

1.i just listed the guides and you will need to use the gingerbread 2.3.5 guide.

2.no need to wait. the methods listed are probably the only ones that will be out.

3.yes you can use the stock rom. but i would really recommend that you try mikg3.1. it is soooooo much better the stock. it is sense but sense 2.1 and sense 3.0 combined. it is very stable and fast. and you will never see this on an evo officially. it has all of the bloatware removed and also it has the hotspot hacked as well.

4.yes you will loose your data when rooting, you can try myback up pro to back the apps up. also make sure that your contacts are backed up with google and not your phone. those will get wiped as well.

5.NEVER ACCEPT AN OTA WHILE YOU ARE ROOTED. just wait until a dev gets a hold of the source code (which they usually get released ahead of time) and they will come out with a version of it and all you will have to do is flash it to get updated.

here are some of my threads i created for the last major updates;
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...cant-root-your-gingerbread-2-3-3-evo-yet.html

and

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/486888-new-ota-4-67-651-3-out-do-not-accept.html

they will explain it all about ota's and this will apply to any phone that you want to root going forward.

Reactions: itiscosmo
Upvote 0
hi..answering ur question as to removing apps once ur rooted with a recovery as u should read up on u can go to the rom/ kernal section of this forum an find a number of different roms that r stock with most of the apps removed or with the ability to remove through manage apps or the market to do what u want according to ur wishes..as time goes on or ur more comfortable u can try different roms that have modified features ..so u can go at ur comfort level...we r all here to help u but i recommend u read read read them decide ur move...lol dont b like me and read instruction after i half built something..lol good luck to u and hope i helped in any way.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones