• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 2 impractical and too big:(

novey

Apr 30, 2013
Hello everyone.
I'm new here:)
My post is about the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
i have been really unhappy with the phone, and wandering if an one else feels like this. Thing is this phone is really expensive, and I can not just go out and buy a new 1 because this 1 'hurts my hands ' lol.
My problem isn't very big , but I would still appreciate some feedback. I really feel conned especially by the company who holds my contract. I will basically be paying

So the main issue m8 that phone is too big and you're having a hard time holding it? Well, there are way around it. First of all, a comfy case with a decent grip can make a big difference. I know if I hold phone naked I hold it tighter because it's light and slippery, and that make it less comfortable and puts more strain. So, definitely a good case with a nice grip is a good start. Some cases have built-in kickstand which you can use as a holder to put your finger through. You also have an option of something like FlyGrip or ThingSling to add a way of holding the phone with one hand. That will make a world of difference in your case. Furthermore, having a good bluetooth headsets with built-in controls will help keeping your phone in the pocket while you are picking up the call (no need to hold your phone while talking). Also, look into a smart watch like Pebble which enables bt connection to your phone with notification of incoming email, text messages, calls, etc - less time taking your phone out of the pocket.

Check out link in my signature of detailed reviews of various cases and accessories to make your life easier while handling N2. You can make it work!!!

Reactions: novey and Mikestony
Upvote 0
Hello and welcome novey:)
I'm sorry that your device is not all you thought it was going to be.
As I re-read your post, I tried to put myself in your shoes.

I then sat back and thought what could be done. :)
Some ideas I could think of are, can you make a plea to your carrier on how you really are not satisfied with the Note2 and if there is anything that can be done to put you into something else at the lowest possible out-of-pocket cost?

If that goes nowhere, see how much it will be to terminate your plan. I know sometimes it can get expensive.

Or how much you can sell it for, and possibly sell the plan? (don't know if that is possible)

See if there is some sort of case for the device that will make it more comfortable to hold.

If I think of other ideas, I will post them here:)

Edit: and there ya go, I got ninj'd by a couple other ideas too :D Thanks tigmd and twister :)

Reactions: novey
Upvote 0
Sorry to read about your issues.
I'm 5'8" & medium build with medium hands (or so I think). No problems. ....
Now as for carrier problems, I too wish I could change. ... (Sprint).
But they all have use.... We will never get what we pay(ed) for. (In exchange or service).
I could never go back to a smaller phone for any thing else than calls.
If I own a smartphone, it will have to be a Note 2 or very close (size wise) so I can see it.
I have real problems looking at a I Phone. .. :D

Good luck.
Lateck,

Upvote 0
wow, thanks for the tips. Really wasnt sure how other users would react. Really glad for the support. If I was to recommend it to another, I would 95% would, but the other 5% is the size. Thats all it comes down to.
Ive tried most of the options suggested. Ill take a look at the pebble watch mentioned.
I have a grip-case, a stand case and a flip case..Also they dont do a flygrip for GN2 in the UK . I really did love the phone, but as Ive been traveling , even had an unfortunate 2 day stint in the hospital as I was unwell. Those 2 days in hospital were the only time I used it properly as a media device and was glad it was that big, but couldn't get the S-pen to work well as my hands would go numb no matter which position I used it in.
The company Im with have already told me, they can't do anything about early termination . It would still cost me the price Im dreading paying at the end of the 2 years .
Im just wandering why users who have felt this way, Im sure dont always talk about it or just ignore it. I did a google search prior to buying it and came up with nothing when searched ' note 2 too big'(lol).
Doesn'tanyone find it even a little inconvenient?
Also, when trying to sell this device, on those sites the recycle phones etc, im only getting a

Upvote 0
Hi Novey,

I can relate with the stock S Pen that came with the Note 2. It is definitely not comfortable to use after a long period of time. Which is why I used the S Pen holder initially, and now the S Pen with eraser. It does make a difference. I also use an Otterbox Commuter case and I don't really grip it that tight. I just let it 'sit' in my hand as I work with it.

I doodle and draw on it occasionally for 30 minute stretches or sometimes an hour with no fatigue. I have small-medium hand size and cannot handle the phone one handed. Even if swiping I need two hands to do it (one to hold the phone and the other to swipe). The size of the Note 2 is perfect for portability and mobility. However, as you discovered, it's not for everyone. I for one can't use a smaller phone. I love the size and found it much better than the original Note (which I gave away).

Upvote 0
Also, does anyone know when GN2 will have a smart view case like the S4? That alone is such a good concept, I have not seen any other phone have a case like that.
I should of come to a forum like this and ask the questions like ,
How much do people actually use the S-pen, and usability in terms of being able to with 1 hand and when in a rush lol!
Other than these small things, the phone is amazing. I just wish they had a smaller version like they do with s3! Also, s4 isn't really an option since ive read about the memory issues, but forum users say you can just root the phone. My experience with technical things and rooting are not that good, so I would never try that.
im guessing the S3 would be good, since you can get C-Pen:)
The pen is good, if it wasn't literally painful(not being dramatic, it does hurt my hand & goes numb if using for more than 15 mins or so...) no idea why no one ever mentioned as this I did do research before buying. Ill try that swype suggested, but it renders the pen useless..

Upvote 0
Neo, how much did you sell your first note for. I read on another forum that someone sold theirs after 6 months of use of the GN2...I read it isnt for everyone, but it annoys me that I thought I did good research on it. I knows it not a huge major problem, just wandering if there other slike this and what they did. Some have helped with their suggestions (thanks!).
Selling this would be my last option, I really would like to stick with it.
The otterbox cases are quite expensive and Ive already got 3 in hopes of alleviating the problem, but it hasnt helped much.

Upvote 0
im guessing the S3 would be good, since you can get C-Pen:)
Unfortunately, I have to say that a capacitive pen still cannot beat the S Pen or digital pen input when working with drawings or sketches. They really are bad and painful to work with. I tried using a capacitive pen on a capacitive screen and found it painful and unnatural to work with. Actually found it a little harder to work with. Since I also need to ensure my palm doesn't touch the screen while working.

I never sold my Note. I actually gave it a away to my brother's fianc

Upvote 0
I own the Note and the Note 2 and purchased the Pen holder kit from Amazon UK as I find the Spens very uncomfortable to hold.

I always use my Notes two handed, never crossed my mind to attempt one handed use, due to their size.

A comfortable case is a must and I agree Swype input would be ideal for you.

If all else fails try swapping it with a friend or relative. I appreciate how frustrated you feel as reviewers tend to cover software and apps and few actually spend any feel time with devices.

For future reference, look up Phone Dog on Youtube who does 30 day challenges reviews or our own NZ Techfreak on this forum who does outstanding detailed/informative reviews.

Upvote 0
Hi novey and welcome to the forums!!!

MANY people who've purchased the Note 2 did so thinking they'd be able to operate it just like all the other ONE handed phones they've had in the past. That thinking right there is (IMO) takes away from actually enjoying the phone because now all the concentration is centered on it's size.

You mentioned not just the size of the phone as being uncomfortable but also the S-Pen being an issue (causing you hand stiffness) so even if you did go with the S-Pen holder that still leaves the overall size of the phone being too much for you. 4 months is a long time to hope to get used to something only to end of stuck with it and that alone will continue to cause you undue frustration.

As much as it seems like you don't want to, all of the suggestions provided here by others require you to spend a bit more money. Your last sentence stood out the most--you hate the phone. I hope for you your situation changes and maybe you can sell it and get something smaller.

Upvote 0
Usually if a person's hand go numb, it is because you are gripping the item too tight. It is the same whether you are holding a tennis racket, a mouse, or a phone. Maybe because the Note 2 is bigger than normal phone and you unconsciously grab it a little tighter. Is it your pen hand or your phone hand that feels numb? The s-pen is so much smaller than a normal pen, it could be that you are gripping it in a way that cramp up your hand after a while.

Upvote 0
I appreciate your problems but just try and follow/use some of the helpful suggestions above, e. g. S-pen holder and Swpe. I've not got particularly large hands but have got used to using my note 1 over the months. I have cases for it but these make it even larger so I don't use them much now and prefer it that way. It may leave it unprotected from falls and such but it has proved pretty sturdy. Like yourself, I felt it was too large for the first few months and subsequently bought an HTC One X. I love that phone but can't change the batteries so I ended up deciding that I'd have to come to grips (literally) with the Note. Don't use a cover and don't worry about dropping it.

Upvote 0
Here in Canada, we get 3 year contracts... :rolleyes:

The problem with the OEM S Pens is that it's not designed for long extended use. I've used most of them (Note, Note 2 and Note 10.1; yeah, going to pass on the 8.0). It does become very uncomfortable. Which is why I had to opt to accessorize the Notes I had/have. In this case, the S Pen holder initially and now moved to the S Pen with eraser. They made a huge difference with me and I can work a lot longer with the Pen. Of course, I use this also with my Note 10.1.

Also invested in a screen protector for fear the S Pen will scratch it up after prolonged use. Already managed to scratch a glas.t (8H hardness) on my original Note before giving that away. Now the Spigen Ultra Oleophobic one on my Note 2 looks dreadful because I've really scratched it up in the few months I've had it. You can see all the scratches themselves are actually from the use of the S Pen as it contains etchings from my doodles and drawings. But this is with 3-4H hardness.

The size is fine two-handed. But I find one-handed operation won't work in most cases (unless you have very large hands). But I don't mind using it with 2 hands, as I tend to use the pen more now. It's just easier to work with than the finger I find. LOL.

Upvote 0
I don't know how other S-Pens are in terms of comfort but I rarely use the one that came with the phone opting to use my BT S Pen exclusively.
What I like about it the most is it would seem Samsung took a clue from the Paper Mate PhD Retractable Ballpoint Pen. One side of the pen is flat so instead of "holding" the pen, your finger rest on the flat surface making usage fluid instead of tight.

If it weren't for this thread I probably would have never paid attention to how I hold my phone. The OP's issue made me look at how I hold it because I've yet to experience discomfort with it and realized I don't grip it; it literally just sits within my palm but my fingers aren't really holding it.

Upvote 0
realized I don't grip it; it literally just sits within my palm but my fingers aren't really holding it.
I do the same thing. I just let it sit in my palm. Even when handling it in landscape, I 'cradle' the phone not really gripping it. Experience less fatigue and more enjoyment from the Note 2. Of course with the Otterbox on it, I feel a little more secured not gripping the phone and just letting it sit in my hand(s) like a wee little babe. :)

I've worked with all the OEM S Pens (with the exception to the Note 8.0) to try them out to see how comfortable they are or for how long I can handle them. This is more in case of if I lost or forgot to bring the S Pen holder or S Pen with eraser. In most cases, I cannot work for long periods of time with them. The design seems to be more inteded for short bursts of use rather than extended use. I've tried and it is difficult to use and required frequent breaks from pen use.

But there is so much they can physically do with the S Pen slotted in the phone. There are physical restrictions preventing a full size pen from fitting without really making the phone a little bigger. Even on the Note 10.1, the speakers prevent a fully sized pen from being slotted. Also to keep the slim form factor of the Notes. It could also be I'm used to working with slightly thicker cylindrical pens and pencils and not the more retangular shape the recent Notes employ. But that's just me.

Upvote 0
Guess I don't share the OPs concerns. I'm a tall guy with pretty big hands, so that could be part of it, but there are certainly times where I feel that I don't have as solid a grip on the phone. I can confidently say that those times are few and far in-between. Then again, I'm one of those folks who has no qualms with using both of my hands with a phone.

Size wise, there is no way I could use a smaller phone now. The real estate you get with the screen alone is reason enough to love the phone. There's no way I could ever go back to using a smaller screen - and for the record, nearly every legit reviewer mentioned the size of this phone as either a love or leave it proposition. I've really had no issues using the S-pen for either short notes or longer sessions - feels natural enough in my hand to hold and use for extended periods of time if necessary.

What's funny is that in the last few weeks I've seen a number of people, both males and females, who happen to be on the smaller side with this phone. I've had some candid conversations with a few of them and am surprised by how much they enjoy the phone, size and all.

At the end of the day, you're the one who makes the decisions to purchase something. If you didn't do enough due diligence, then its on you to deal with the consequences. Hope you end up finding a phone you like.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones