• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 3 question for owners.

I went through three cases (all from Spigen) before I settled on the smallest and arguably least-protective of the lot - the Ultra Fit. But if offers enough protection from a drop to the back and sides and is very thin.

I, too, like the GN3 naked but the Ultra Fit small enough to work. I like that it provides a little extra protection to the 'exposed' camera lense, which call exposed because it's raised.

As for the front, I agree that your average mylar type screen protector would provide a little protection in a drop. I use a glass protector with a decent hardness rating. They are pricey, but my theory is that they would provide much better protection than a plastic screen, they feel much better to the touch (just the like the regular screen) and if dropped hard enough or on something protruding it might shatter and absorb the force and save the screen.

Needless to say, I'm not going to put it to the test. I have yet to drop this phone. I'm not a kid and my GN3 generally stays in my pocket when not in use. And because it's too big to fit into my shirt pockets it now rides in my front pants pocket. Nearly all of my previous phone drops (the few that there were) were often from shirt pockets when bending over.

Upvote 0
Going naked on a phone that costs more than most peoples' computers is insane to me. I'm very careful with my phones but accidents beyond your control do happen. You don't need to get a 4" thick Otterbox that can withstand gunfire. Just get a case that is basically a rubber coating. Doesn't add to the bulk of the phone much but gives a ton of extra protection. The GN3 is big and heavy. A short drop can mean game over for this device. It's not like some of the old flip phones I have owned that you could throw at your wife for not doing the dishes and not even scratch it. :)

Upvote 0
Can I get a link to the Vega phone holster?

I carry my gun (whichever it happens to be that day) OWB: the shoulder rig for my phone would be kind cool

Email this guy: jamil<at>vega-holsters<dot>com. There is a website, I think but it's years out of date. The company mainly does gun holsters of course so these things are beautifully made. I can vouch for their very long term durability and quality.

(There is a bundled belt clip for it but in 20 years, I've never used one.)

The phone is completely safe. No falling out. No scratching against keys. Easy to check you remembered it. Doesn't spoil the line of your fashionable pants.
newlaughing_zps95a2ebe3.gif

Upvote 0
I posted this question when I had my "Captivate" and again with my Note 1. Never did get a good answer. I would like to find a pouch to carry my phone on my belt.
Requirements are a belt loop, not a clip of any kind. Must be roomy enough to extract phone easily but not so loose as to loose the phone in it. Must have a flap that secures with a good grade of velcro, or a strong magnetic catch.
I would even pay for a custom made if I could find someone local to make it.
Any ideas?

Joe in Modesto

Upvote 0
I can confirm having worn one of these holsters both in the UK and in NH*, that some Americans boggle a bit at it and Brits just don't notice. Nobody notices anywhere else in Europe either.

* That's New Hampshire

Hey Simon - what were you doing tromping around in my neck of the woods?!? (New Hampshire!)

Upvote 0
At the risk of irritating Mikestoney... many small holster makers (and sheath makers, for that matter), can be talked into making almost any kind of pouch you may want...

Assuming you want a leather pouch.

I can highly recommend Dragon Leatherworks (www.dragonleatherworks.com): yes, Dennis makes holsters. They also made Abby's lunchbox from NCIS, and he's always willing to discuss another custom idea (he'll be making the saddlebags for my chopper)

Upvote 0
At the risk of irritating Mikestoney... many small holster makers (and sheath makers, for that matter), can be talked into making almost any kind of pouch you may want...

Assuming you want a leather pouch.

I can highly recommend Dragon Leatherworks (www.dragonleatherworks.com): yes, Dennis makes holsters. They also made Abby's lunchbox from NCIS, and he's always willing to discuss another custom idea (he'll be making the saddlebags for my chopper)
:eek: lol...no worries..your link is broken?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones