• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
How the HECK is a Galaxy Note a Galaxy Note without the S Pen? This is exactly what I was telling Samsung: they have lost their way with the model series. The S Pen is at the core of the Note: and Samsung has compromised it for the sake of the cameras; the battery; all the whizbang gadgetry and firmware features that have nothing to do with the S Pen or notes.

Now if the S Pen will be introduced as part of the Z Fold 3, it makes sense and that's more of an evolution of the Note series, rather than "the end". Without the S Pen, however, the Note is nothing but a refresh of the S series.

Looks like the S Pen may move to the Galaxy S21 Ultra... although it would make a LOT more sense in the Z Fold...

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/ne...xy-s21-ultra-s-pen-integration-report-2284962

Upvote 0
Looks like the S Pen may move to the Galaxy S21 Ultra... although it would make a LOT more sense in the Z Fold...

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/ne...xy-s21-ultra-s-pen-integration-report-2284962

Read that too. Would be a stupid move to put it on the S21. I'd rather have it on the Fold, which makes more sense, a pen with a whole lot of screen to write on provided that they come up with a screen (better folding glass) to withstand the pen's pressure.
This would be like you mentioned an evolution of the Note.

Upvote 0
Then again, considering the stupidity of the Note 20 series (I returned the Ultra), thinking that Samsung would follow a common-sense evolution is an exercise in futility. It would be logical to put the S Pen in the Z Fold... therefore Samsung will not do it.

stickouttongue.png

That's unfortunate to hear. I'm not nitpicking at it yet, so far so good...
Thought Samsung listens and reads forums, boards for feedback and suggestions. They mentioned this at their unpacked event.
Well, I hope they get their heads straight together next year, and if they are going to cancel out the Note series, stick the pen for the Fold.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
How the HECK is a Galaxy Note a Galaxy Note without the S Pen? This is exactly what I was telling Samsung: they have lost their way with the model series. The S Pen is at the core of the Note: and Samsung has compromised it for the sake of the cameras; the battery; all the whizbang gadgetry and firmware features that have nothing to do with the S Pen or notes.

Now if the S Pen will be introduced as part of the Z Fold 3, it makes sense and that's more of an evolution of the Note series, rather than "the end". Without the S Pen, however, the Note is nothing but a refresh of the S series.

The writing has been on the wall for several years as the lines blurred between the Galaxy S and Note lines. leaving only the S Pen as the difference. Now, it looks like the Galaxy Note has reached the end of the line. It's been a revolutionary nine years... but it's time to move on to better things.

https://9to5google.com/2020/11/16/galaxy-note-21-dead-foldables-report/

My wish may come true - The Z Fold 3 may be announced in June with an S Pen! If Samsung can release it with a decent aspect ratio (and not a long, skinny display), I'm all in...

https://www.techradar.com/sg/news/s...ay-support-s-pen-while-the-note-might-be-dead

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
My wish may come true - The Z Fold 3 may be announced in June with an S Pen! If Samsung can release it with a decent aspect ratio (and not a long, skinny display), I'm all in...

https://www.techradar.com/sg/news/s...ay-support-s-pen-while-the-note-might-be-dead

There's still debates that there will be a Note 21 but just one model instead of the regular and ultra. But one thing is clear is that Samsung will be dropping the Note in the near future to have the Z Fold as the king of flagship.

If they can make better durable plastic glass 'glastic' that can withstand pen usage, make the device slimmer, reasonable price (whatever that is anymore) then I'll jump on the bandwagon.

They're also working on an expandable screen phone.
I just wish that they'd have their employees use it for a year to test real life usage and issues instead of releasing and selling it for a fortune to consumers.

Upvote 0
@greegom wow, use a phone for a year to test it out before releasing it? Would many consumers even buy it after a year, instead of chasing the shiny new thing?

I've heard nothing about a Note release, even on a limited scale. There's nothing about a Note on the Samsung 2021 release schedule I've seen. I've heard next month's S21 Ultra will have an accessory case that features an external S Pen, much like the Tab S7. But June's Z Fold 3 is expected to have a decent interior screen with UTG and under-display camera... and embedded S Pen. So the "Note" will live on in the foldable many of us have dreamed of.

The only other rumor I've seen (definitely not for 2021) is based on a patent filing for an actual two-fold "Z" phone, meaning a third screen. I can't see many people paying for that, though: especially if the Z Fold 3 is north of $2,000. Such a device would be pushing the $2500+ boundary and would be so thick folded up that it couldn't possibly fit in a pocket. And I can't imagine many scenarios, even in professional environments, that such a device would be essential and cost-effective.

Upvote 0
Rumor has it that the Fold 3 is in production for a July release - while I like the idea of a foldable phone with S Pen, I don't feel ready to give up my microSD card... and apparently the Fold 3 will come with 256 GB of internal storage and nothing else. If I drop it and it fails to power on, I just lost everything on the phone - that's why my critical files are on the microSD card AND backed up to the cloud (because flash memory will fail). As much as I'd love to try the phone, I will not trust it to store my stuff and would have to rely on cloud storage.

Upvote 0
Well folks, it's rumored that the much-anticipated Galaxy Z Fold 3 will NOT include an onboard S Pen like the Note series, but will offer an external S Pen as an option like the S21.

My issue with that is that Samsung has apparently skipped the Galaxy Note 21 in favor of the Fold 3 - which is reportedly no longer a suitable replacement. Nor will the Fold 3 have a microSD card slot: limiting users to 256GB internal storage or cloud storage.

That leaves me (and many of my AF friends) with a 2-year old Note 10+ which will start showing its age soon as it will not receive this year's Android 12 (R) system upgrade.

Let's hope against hope that Samsung is again playing the tech blogosphere and will surprise us all with a dream device!

Upvote 0
I actually left the note behind after my stay with 4 previous Note models over the years and made a plunge into the Galaxy Z Fold 2 this year since they lowered the price and gave me a trade in deal. I found myself not using the S pen as much as I used to with my notes and the Fold 2 does not support it. I will say that I'm having a lot of fun with the fold and I have no need for a ton of storage. I do believe the Fold 3 will have S pen support according to the latest rumors https://www.tomsguide.com/news/samsung-galaxy-z-fold-3.

It is sad to see the note series going away though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It will have S Pen support, but not an internal S Pen. It will be an accessory and specifically designed for the Fold 3. The rounded tip will be more gently on the ultra-thin glass than a traditional S Pen... which leaves me wondering how precise it could be. If artists and engineers can't use the S Pen with surgical precision, what good is it?

And I use the S Pen all the time. My fingers don't like to go where I tell them to: using the S Pen is a much more accurate input method for me.

Upvote 0
I hope you're left-handed! Because after a 10-year string of right-handed Notes, my Note 20 Ultra lasted about 5 days before it went back

I've played with the S-pen and still seeing what I can do with it. But I am right handed. My only previous device that had one, was the Galaxy Note7, I had very briefly. What really sold me on the Note20, rather than something like the Galaxy S21 series, was the fact the fact the Note20 takes micro-SD cards, and the S21 doesn't. I've got just over 500GB of FLACs and MP3s. Same reason why I didn't get another Huawei Mate series phone. Also I got a good price on the Note20 Ultra 5G, and the Samsung Store said if I go back next week, they'll give me a set of Galaxy Buds. :). The phone did actually come with a wired AKG headset.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
August 3 - looks like my birthday gift this year will be the Unpacked Event featuring Z Fold 3 with S Pen support; Z Flip 3; Galaxy Watch 4 running Wear OS; and possibly the Galaxy Buds 2. Nothing official yet, but I'm blocking off that late morning...

UPDATE: North Korean tech media is reporting that Unpacked will be August 11 at 11 AM EDT

Last edited:
Reactions: Steven58 and mikedt
Upvote 0
I hope you're left-handed! Because after a 10-year string of right-handed Notes, my Note 20 Ultra lasted about 5 days before it went back

Can you expand upon this? I'm looking to upgrade from the Note 8 to either the Note 20 Ultra or the S21. I love the note, I've owned three. I do happen to be left-handed but as such I've used all the others and never felt that the phone was designed to be better suited to either right or left-handed people. Is it just a matter of the side of the phone the S-Pen is on?

Upvote 0
If you're left-handed, the Note 20 Ultra will be a dream come true for you. I will happily explain:

I'm right-handed... so when I'm using my Note 10+ it's in my left hand. The right edge of the phone (where the S Pen is housed) is at my fingertips - if I need the S Pen, there's no obstruction at the lower corner and I can simply extract it.

With the Note 20, however, the S Pen is at the left edge of the phone: and the bottom corner is planted in my left palm. You likely experience the counter-intuitive motion of tilting your Note 8 outward from your right hand to extract the S Pen. Since you're left-handed, though, the left edge of the Note 20 will be open and you'll be astonished by how much easier & more convenient it is to extract the S Pen! The opposite holds true for me.

While reports are conflicting whether the Z Fold 3's S Pen will be internal or an external accessory, I almost hope it's external. At least it can't be on the wrong side of the phone for me!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones