• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Well, I pre-ordered the Z Fold 3 and the flip case with the S Pen - but I really believe this was a proof-of-concept year and the Note line still fills an important gap between the media-consumption S line and the work-related Fold line. For power users who need the best of both worlds, the Note can't be beaten... until the Fold line can include a silo for an onboard S Pen, which may be next year, I hope to see the Note 22 a year from now.

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
Thanks Steven, I hope to! The pressing issues were (a) holster for it and (b) screen protectors. I have used Armorsuit Military Shield protectors for years and swear by them... but they don't make protectors for foldables. It's tricky business making glass bend: it's equally tricky to make a durable skin that glues to it and bends with it.

The holster? It was actually pretty easy as there are two-phone holsters out there. I found one I like, and the comments said that their Fold 2 fits in it nicely. Since the Fold 3 is a bit smaller & thinner, it follows that the Fold 3 in a thin case will fit in there. It sticks so far out from my waist, however, that I may have to walk sideways to get through doorways... but that's the price I pay for being on the bleeding edge of tech geekdom, I guess...

:D

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Thanks Steven, I hope to! The pressing issues were (a) holster for it and (b) screen protectors. I have used Armorsuit Military Shield protectors for years and swear by them... but they don't make protectors for foldables. It's tricky business making glass bend: it's equally tricky to make a durable skin that glues to it and bends with it.

The holster? It was actually pretty easy as there are two-phone holsters out there. I found one I like, and the comments said that their Fold 2 fits in it nicely. Since the Fold 3 is a bit smaller & thinner, it follows that the Fold 3 in a thin case will fit in there. It sticks so far out from my waist, however, that I may have to walk sideways to get through doorways... but that's the price I pay for being on the bleeding edge of tech geekdom, I guess...

:D

I'm thinking, does a foldable phone really need a screen-protector which is totally covered when the device is folded, like when it's in your pocket or holster or whatever. For the outside external screen, that might need one.

Although I've never actually used a third-party screen-protector on any device, other than the stock ones that a manufacturer may apply at the factory. I used my Huawei Mate10 with the stock screen-protector for about year, until it got so disgusting I peeled it off, and the Gorilla Glass on that phone is still good after over three years of use. I think it'll be the same with my Galaxy Note20 Ultra I bought a couple of months ago, that's still got the factory screen-protector on it.

Upvote 0
I'm glad the factory protectors work for you - I've always considered them a very cheap means of protecting the screen until the end consumer takes possession. Maybe the interior screen won't need a lot of protection... you have a valid point there and I thank you. I'll try to find something that at least fits the outer screen.

EDIT: Maybe it's overkill, but I did find this set that covers front, back and inner panels.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284410499408?var=585954547925

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Can I try to catch up with the technology here? My last and only Note was the 3 (and I loved it).

Is a Wacom digitizer layer no longer required, as with the S21 Ultra's pen option.

I know the performance, speed / sensitivity and features of the S Pen had moved on enormously over the model generations.

There are other makers such as Moto and LG with pens, but I assume either they are/were more limited, or do have a digitizer.

Something I didn't keep up with, so curious.

Can they just design a model like the S21 Ultra and then decide to offer a pen as part of an optional case?

Also why don't I see men with lamps or flags walking in front of motorized vehicles any more?

Upvote 0
I'm sure your Note 3 served you well during your work as a street sweeper LOL you would no doubt be amazed at how the newer S Pens work in comparison.

Yes, a digitizer layer is still necessary: in fact, the Z Fold 3's main panel has two digitizers, ne on each side of the fold. Firmware then makes an accurate guess as to where the pen is ON the crease. I rely on the S Pen and look forward to seeing a Z Fold 4 with onboard S Pen.

By the way, newer vehicles also have headlights & taillights; and are very quiet so they don't scare the horses...

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
LOL.
You're scaring me now. Horses still do me just fine. We stay home when it's dark.

Interesting info, thanks.

So the S21 Ultra would have a Wacom thingy then, even though a small percentage would buy the extra case + pen, I'd imagine.

That's when I started to panic about all this.

Didn't make financial sense until I guess maybe you factor in the overall price tag, and the ease of adding a digitizer.

Seen near me on my Note 3:

111089i4bfeed9896db386e.jpg

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
I personally am hoping for at least one more Note or for the S Ultra series to have a silo for the s pen. I am just not a fan of the foldables at the moment. The s pen works well for me for scrolling and for simply writing whenever I would otherwise need a keyboard as I don't see those keys as well as I would like. But I don't need all the other bells and whistles of the top of the line phones.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
Phone Arena is tolling the bell for the Note series: although the Note is being shifted & integrated into the Galaxy S line. This has been a long time coming since the S and Note lines have become increasingly similar... Now, the Galaxy S Ultra will effectively be the "Note" going forward.

I'm still hopeful that the Z Fold will end up with an onboard S Pen...

https://www.phonearena.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-production-ending_id136722

Upvote 0
The Darling Bride decided to trade up her Note 10+ to the S22 Ultra - and it took over an hour to get the order placed, since apparently everyone on the planet is trying to buy one. While I know affiliate links are not allowed here, this IS a link for 5% off if you want to use it:
https://shopsamsung.page.link/2uD3Mw3uEzbYGDrz5

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones