• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help notification bar and sleep mode problems

hi guys - so i finally got the g tablet delivered - and rooted it to vegan 5.1 beta i believe using CM

so 2 problems:
1 - it turns of after going into sleep mode (this was happening in stock rom as well and now with vegan as well) - some people say awaking it using the volume contrlls works - but for me only some times - even when i just press the power button once to make it sleep - it shuts down

2 - with vegan: no matter where on the home screen i swipe down it pulls down the notification bar (using adw ex launcher) this happens in both landscape and portrait views - any way to only have the notification bar pull down when i tap/drag it only?

2 - with vegan: no matter where on the home screen i swipe down it pulls down the notification bar (using adw ex launcher) this happens in both landscape and portrait views - any way to only have the notification bar pull down when i tap/drag it only?

That's adw.launcher.

from home -

menu>more>ADWsettings>general behavior>swipe down actions

Essentially you're going to wipe the gTab clean. Go into ClockworkMod Recovery and the option to wipe data/factory reset will be there. Then you can re-install the ROM on a clean slate.

thanks for all the help guys...
Tempusfugit fixed the notification bar problem

but i still have the shutdown/power off after sleep problem
did the whole wipe data/cache multiple times before installing rom and still same problem...its like after the screen time outs if i dont turn it back on within 2-3secs the tablet shuts down...

other then that problem - did you guys know this is a pretty amazing device? and i have only been using it for less then 24hrs lol...

but i still have the shutdown/power off after sleep problem
did the whole wipe data/cache multiple times before installing rom and still same problem...its like after the screen time outs if i dont turn it back on within 2-3secs the tablet shuts down...

I too have this problem, posted about it on another forum but am still stuck.

I tried the 0119 build of the 2.6.32.28 pershoot kernel with the latest TNTLite (4.1) and Vegan (5.1) and the problem persisted.

The process I use is as follows:
1) Boot Clockwork Mod
2) Mount Data and System, Wipe Cache, Davlik Cache and wipe user data
3) Install ROM (TNT Lite or Vegan)
4) Mount Data and System, Wipe Cache, Davlik Cache and wipe user data
5) Boot into ROM (I found that if I try to kernel patch immediately it bootloops)
6) Reboot into clockwork mod
7) Mount Data and System, Wipe Cache and Davlik Cache and wipe user data
8) Patch Kernel
9) Mount Data and System, Wipe Cache, Davlik Cache. Leave user data (not sure if that would wipe out kernel...probably not necessary anyway)
10) Boot into ROM, verify Kernel was updated using settings->about tabet

Am I doing anything unecessary or missing anything? Is there more to clear than what I'm clearing?

The problem is so odd, it is definitely not at random, the longer the device sleeps the more likely the problem is to happen, although in my case I can't get it to sleep for more than 60 seconds without happning. I've tested by going up in 5 second increments (sleep 5 seconds, press power, sleep 10 seconds, press power etc.).

Any help is appreciated!

Sean

I too have this problem, posted about it on another forum but am still stuck.

I tried the 0119 build of the 2.6.32.28 pershoot kernel with the latest TNTLite (4.1) and Vegan (5.1) and the problem persisted.

The process I use is as follows:
1) Boot Clockwork Mod
2) Mount Data and System, Wipe Cache, Davlik Cache and wipe user data
3) Install ROM (TNT Lite or Vegan)
4) Mount Data and System, Wipe Cache, Davlik Cache and wipe user data
5) Boot into ROM (I found that if I try to kernel patch immediately it bootloops)
6) Reboot into clockwork mod
7) Mount Data and System, Wipe Cache and Davlik Cache and wipe user data
8) Patch Kernel
9) Mount Data and System, Wipe Cache, Davlik Cache. Leave user data (not sure if that would wipe out kernel...probably not necessary anyway)
10) Boot into ROM, verify Kernel was updated using settings->about tabet

Am I doing anything unecessary or missing anything? Is there more to clear than what I'm clearing?

The problem is so odd, it is definitely not at random, the longer the device sleeps the more likely the problem is to happen, although in my case I can't get it to sleep for more than 60 seconds without happning. I've tested by going up in 5 second increments (sleep 5 seconds, press power, sleep 10 seconds, press power etc.).

Any help is appreciated!

Sean

That's a lot of wiping. :eek:

Try this

1- Boot Clockwork Mod
2- From the first menu choose
Wipe data/factory reset- wait til it's done.
3- then Wipe cache partition- wait til it's done
4- install zip from sdcard
5- choose zip from sdcard
6- install ROM (vegan or Tnt lite)- wait til it's done.
7- hit back until you get to the main menu and reboot system now

Check to see if the ROM boots. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck.

That's a lot of wiping. :eek:

Try this

1- Boot Clockwork Mod
2- From the first menu choose
Wipe data/factory reset- wait til it's done.
3- then Wipe cache partition- wait til it's done
4- install zip from sdcard
5- choose zip from sdcard
6- install ROM (vegan or Tnt lite)- wait til it's done.
7- hit back until you get to the main menu and reboot system now

Check to see if the ROM boots. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck.

Thanks, I tried doing exactly what you described at first. Getting into the custom kernels was something I did afterwards after hearing that the updated kernel was helping others who had this issue.

I just went back to stock ROM 3389 and the problem is still happening. I'm kind of running out of ideas, spent a lot of itme on this. Is it possible that CWMod could have something to do with it maybe?

Sean

Thanks, I tried doing exactly what you described at first. Getting into the custom kernels was something I did afterwards after hearing that the updated kernel was helping others who had this issue.

I just went back to stock ROM 3389 and the problem is still happening. I'm kind of running out of ideas, spent a lot of itme on this. Is it possible that CWMod could have something to do with it maybe?

Sean

I don't think so. How did you get back to stock ROM 3389? Did you have that issue when you were on 3389?

I downloaded it from another forum, I just realized though that when you do this it also gets rid of CWMod so that can't be the issue. Yes, I did notice this when I first got the unit and thought it was a property of the horrible stock ROM.

Someone contacted me and told me that this was happening on their unit when they first got it and magically went away ?!?! So odd. It seems like a lot of people are having issues with the unit sleeping itself to death, I guess it could be hardware but it seems like a lot of people have gotten it fixed over time with software.

I wish there was some level of logging I could enable to see what was going on.

Sean

I downloaded it from another forum, I just realized though that when you do this it also gets rid of CWMod so that can't be the issue. Yes, I did notice this when I first got the unit and thought it was a property of the horrible stock ROM.

Someone contacted me and told me that this was happening on their unit when they first got it and magically went away ?!?! So odd. It seems like a lot of people are having issues with the unit sleeping itself to death, I guess it could be hardware but it seems like a lot of people have gotten it fixed over time with software.

Sean

aLogcat - Logcat Application - Android app on AppBrain

Sean

You know, try this out,

Wipe data factory reset three times then wipe cache three times in a row then load a ROM. Try zpad this time. See if that works. This was a old tale in the droid 1 flashing days:). Some people said it works. I'm as desperate as you are in resolving this issue.
I would try anything. :p

Thanks xmr, I tried what you said but still no luck...I also tried the new TNTLite 4.20 and that didn't work either :(

Sean

Thanks xmr, I tried what you said but still no luck...I also tried the new TNTLite 4.20 and that didn't work either :(

Sean

Really?? Sorry stiphy. How are you loading your ROMS? I downloading directly to the gtab or to a pc and then transferring to your gtab?

I am downloading to PC and then putting them in the /sdcard/roms directory that I created. I then use CWMod to install ROM from SD card.

Sean

Ok, I took a little bit of time to try to log exactly what goes on with the system and correspond them to real world events. Attached is the output from "Log2SD" which I got in the marketplace.

Here's the steps I did while capturing the log and the times I did them which correspond to the log file times:

23:01:10 Press Power On Device
23:01:40 Slide Unlock to homescreen
23:01:55 Started Log2SD
23:02:10 Press power, screen shuts off
23:02:18 Press power, screen comes back on
23:02:25 It auto powers off screen since I didn't unlock
23:03:30 Tried to power On with power key, nothing
23:03:38 Tried to power on with power key again, nothing
23:02:42 Held power button to reset

Immediately after the "auto power off" at 23:02:25 logging basically ceases.

If anyone has any thoughts please let me know! If someone else wants to try to capture logs from their system that is properly sleeping/waking and compare them that might help the cause.

In the meantime I'm going to just try to continue to use the tablet and hope the problem just goes away like others have reported.

Note if you are viewing the logfile on Windows use wordpad not notepad and it will correctly break the lines.

Sean

Attachments

Well I made some progress on this front with a hack. I found an app called "REGPON wifi keepAlive" in the market that keeps the device from "sleeping," even when the screen is off, when wifi is on. The app says it keeps wifi and the cpu on. This seems to be preventing my device from sleeping itself to death after a minute or so.

The trade off is some battery life. The question now is do I keep this hack in place hoping checking back occasionally to see if the problem "just goes away" as other users have reported, or do I still try to exchange it hoping I get a better piece of hardware if it doesn't go away in the next week or so? I wonder how much battery life I'll be losing out on. My fear is that I could end up with another unit that is worse...also I bought it at a "Kmart appliance store" which is actually Sears and they may try to hit me with their 15% restocking fee (which I would refuse).

Thoughts?

Can anyone tell me how long they'd expect their Gtablet to last in "sleep mode only" from a full charge. Using the method above I saw the battery degredate around 30% in 8 hours which means that I could expect around 28 hours of screen off time. Is this at least close to what you'd expect if leaving the a working unit that doesn't power down in sleep "sleeping?"

Hopefully my workaround helps others!

Sean

Just wanted to follow up on this.

After much troubleshooting/working on this, including spending time on IRC with pershoot who makes a custom kernel, I exchanged my unit for another one. The new one is not exhibiting the problem.

I think there are software issues that can lead to this problem, but I think that there are also cases, like mine, where there is a hardware issue.

Thanks for everyone who tried to help!

Sean

Back
Top Bottom