• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notifications Keep Phone Awake?

Shut off and restarted my phone at 2pm. Took about 2 mins to start up. Looked at awake time - just under three minutes (100%). Locked the screen and waited until 3pm to check the awake time. At 3pm my awake time was about 3 minutes (5%) AWESOME.

Shortly after, I missed a call. Green notification light was flashing so I check the notifications. Missed call and voicemail. I did not clear the notifications. Checked the awake time, still 5%. I locked the screen. No other notifications, calls, texts, emails, etc for the next hour and forty-five minutes, but my awake time was now one hour and forty-eight minutes (62%).

I did not clear the notifications from the missed call and the voice mail earlier, could that be keeping my phone awake? If so, that is absolutely ********. Is there a fix for this or some setting I am not aware of?

Did anyone check this out?

I noticed a couple days ago I had a random high battery useage and checked my partial wake status to see Handcent was at over 30 minutes. Today, same thing happened. I noticed I'd gotten quite a few text messages (NCAA Football signing day text message alerts). I got about 30 of them in a 4 hours period. During that time, my partial wake status for Handcent was over 60 minutes! I've never seen it that high before.

Is this normal? Anyone else notice this?

I can't say any time I've checked before that I've noticed anything like that with Handcent. Wonder if it's coming from an unchecked notification, or just the quantity of incoming messages.

I'd love to hear some additional input.

Thanks

but is it draining your battery? That's the big question. Your awake time doesn't really mean a thing if it isn't draining your battery

but is it draining your battery? That's the big question. Your awake time doesn't really mean a thing if it isn't draining your battery

Yes, that's what caused me to look at SPARE PARTS. My battery had been hardly draining all day. It was around 94%% when the texts started coming in (around 9:30AM). When I checked it around 11:30 it was down to 80%. When I checked it again around 1:20, it was down to 75%. I cleared a bunch of my unread text messages and checked spare parts. It showed 1 hour 0 min 20 seconds (same value as it shows right now).

So to summarize, it ate up 6% in the first 2 hours of my day, then proceeded to chomp up 24% over the next 4 hours or so doing nothing but receving those 30 or so text messages. Just seems very unusual. I've never seen it behave this way before.

To clarify, I haven't installed anything new in the past 4 days or so. this just started happening (or at least that I just started noticing).

well, I could see notifications keeping your phone awake, at least for the 5 minutes that the notification flashes (right? only 5 minutes?). And if you get multiple notifications, it'll keep staying awake. I guess I've always just cleared the notification right away.

Then again, I've had messages come in while my phone is sitting in my room, and not notice them for like 6 hours, and the battery is still fine. Perhaps it's a setting you changed in your messaging app?

Back
Top Bottom