• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 4G/WiMAX Coverage Areas

Anyone heard any rumors of Sprint bringing 4G/Wimax to Puerto Rico?
Google is my friend, but we are not that close since i was only able to find one reference to Puerto Rico and Clear Wimax.

Clear Wimax in Puerto Rico

Although, Puerto Rico does have Wimax already by another company (if not two), but Clear seems to be interested but I have yet to see anything else. I'll keep looking and if I see anything, I'll post about it.

TS

EDIT:
Okay, may not be Puerto Rico specific, but I found this online WiMAX Internet Tower finder, that offers pictures, location data, as well as a few other details of WiMAX towers. They are called TowerCO and they are the 5th largest tower company. Their WiMAX tower locator indexes towers in 47 states and Puerto Rico. The Tower Finder lets you look up WiMAX tower locations by city, state or zip code.

Check it out... TowerCO WiMAX Tower Locator

Now going back to the Puerto Rico issue, using that tower locator, there are quite a few WiMAX towers in Puerto Rico, and one of them in Carolina is owned by Sprint. So logically (but not actually) it would make sense or mean that Clear is possibly setting a foot hold in PR.

TS out

Upvote 0
Google is my friend, but we are not that close since i was only able to find one reference to Puerto Rico and Clear Wimax.

Clear Wimax in Puerto Rico

Although, Puerto Rico does have Wimax already by another company (if not two), but Clear seems to be interested but I have yet to see anything else. I'll keep looking and if I see anything, I'll post about it.

TS
Thanks, was trying to find that article, but the one link I had found was for a paid service that wasn't giving me the full text.

Who are the Wimax companies in PR if you know? If not mistaken, Sprint bought Biva's wireless broadband if not mistaken (last year?)... not sure if this has anything to do with it's plans for Wimax in PR. There's AeroNet that also provides wireless broadband. Are these what you're referring to by any chance, I'm not an expert in the wireless scene.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this was their press release linked above but this is wimax info from a corporate email to their business reps:

. We’re Adding More 4G Markets While Competitors Scramble and Stumble
Let AT&T and Verizon yak about maps and 3G coverage, we’re moving forward with what customers want – lightening fast and uncapped 4G service.
Today, we announced seven more major markets that will see 4G in 2010: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Los Angeles, Miami, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City and St. Louis. These cities are in addition to 4G launches for 2010 that we announced last month: Boston, Denver, Kansas City, Houston, Minneapolis, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.
We have thousands of Sprint employees in these 14 cities; now is the time for you to be 4G ambassadors to your family, friends and associates!
We’re on pace to equip an expected 120 million people by the end of the year with a mobile Internet experience that is unparalleled, especially for those using an Overdrive 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot and a Sprint 3G/4G USM Modem. We’ll soon announce many new 4G devices, including a single-mode 4G data card, embedded laptops and a 4G phone.
For those keeping score, Sprint will have more than 40 major markets with 4G service by the end of the year while Verizon is still testing LTE. And right now for AT&T and Verizon? A combined nada. Zip. Zero. Their customers can still poke along on 3G which is fine if you’ve got lots of time and do not mind waiting to access the Web while you’re on the move.

Upvote 0
I don't see any listings or Twitter accounts Oklahoma but I would imagine in time they would get 4G as well, especially with a city like OKC.

I'd be surprised to see OK get 4g any time soon. This market is a red-headed step child, despite being only 2 hours from Dallas. Also something strange: All of west texas has wimax, except the largest city in West Texas - El Paso (around 800k population.) When I was living there 2 years ago, they didn't even have Sprint EVDO service (Verizon had rev. a there, but no one else had 3g.) I don't understand it.

Upvote 0
Did you see this article: City of Grand Rapids - 01 Wireless Home Page. There's a lot of good information and links about WiMAX and How WiMAX Works. Grand Rapids' intends to blanket the whole city with WiMAX.

Yea, I'm familiar with the plan, been following it since before the 2008 merger. We were supposed to be a test market if it werent for the iPCS issues. As of august the network was 90% finished so I'm assuming it is done now, really I'm just wondering what they are waiting for.

Upvote 0
Yea, I'm familiar with the plan, been following it since before the 2008 merger. We were supposed to be a test market if it werent for the iPCS issues. As of august the network was 90% finished so I'm assuming it is done now, really I'm just wondering what they are waiting for.
Maybe they're just waiting on the EVO so they can really make a big statement.

Upvote 0
For Tampa residents, this article might be promising for 4G coverage in our area. Clearwire is part of the group to put up a tower.

Tampa OKs permit for cell tower near Sunset Park neighborhood

What is the radius that one cell tower can cover, anyway?
It's hard to say exactly what that article is about. The fight was over the height of the tower and it specifies "cell" tower. WiMAX doesn't need tall towers, but the range is only a few miles. One of the reasons WiMAX is easier to build out is because it can be installed on existing cell towers and on top of buildings. The beauty of the thing lies in the fact that overlapping WiMAX signals can enhance the power of the signal. That's why it will get better and better over time.

Upvote 0
It's hard to say exactly what that article is about. The fight was over the height of the tower and it specifies "cell" tower. WiMAX doesn't need tall towers, but the range is only a few miles. One of the reasons WiMAX is easier to build out is because it can be installed on existing cell towers and on top of buildings. The beauty of the thing lies in the fact that overlapping WiMAX signals can enhance the power of the signal. That's why it will get better and better over time.

Actually, the fight was over the placement of the tower, but they all of a sudden were able to double the height.

Anyway, I am just glad to see new towers going up with Clearwire's name attached to it. I believe Tampa will have WiMax before years end, but I am waiting for more information to back it up.

Upvote 0
Actually, the fight was over the placement of the tower, but they all of a sudden were able to double the height.

Anyway, I am just glad to see new towers going up with Clearwire's name attached to it. I believe Tampa will have WiMax before years end, but I am waiting for more information to back it up.
I believe someone in the Official EVO thread said they contacted Clear and learned that they plan to start deploying WiMAX in the Tampa area within the next 45 days.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones