• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 4G/WiMax: what is it, why do we want it

"WHATTT?!! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!!!" at which point I replied "Because the EVO is far Superior than any other phone that you offer and with the upcoming 4G network it will make it that much better!"...faster than 4G or LTE, with download speeds peaking at 20mbps.!!! I thanked him for his time and went on the internetz and did a little looking around. Or should I dive into the new 4G network and the EVO?

It is really up to you.
But a few warnings about hspa, it is a very narrow spectrum and radio set.

Let me explain. If you where to get 20 mbps on you cell phone, you would only get it for about 20-30mins, then your battery would be dead.

Ignoring that.

Please watch this video
http://a.blip.tv/scripts/flash/show...//blip.tv/?utm_source=brandlink&enablejs=true

At about 17:11 you will see the true problem with hspa+.

When the bandwidth is less then 4% used, speeds up to 20mbps is doable. But when the you go past 4% to 22 % your speed will drop to less then 7mbps. If the networks has more the 23% used, your speeds are dropped futher down to 1.2 mbps.

Secondly, your radio will be capped at 7mbps max speed. Because of battery life and fcc regulations.
So your max speed is 7mbps, when 22% or less of the spectrum is being used. When greater then 23% is being used, the speeds will be forced down to 1.2 mbps. (I am trying to keep is simple)

Wimax will give you a continuous 3-8 mbps, with the network has less then 98% used, 1.2-3mpbs from 98-100% used, connection( should be right round 8mbps, but milage will vary). With bursts up to 10mbps.

Wimax is capablie of mimo 2x2. Hspa+ 1x1.

Botttom line.

Hspa+ is a great technology that will improve 3g speeds to between 1.2-3mbps. Wimax will consistently give you speeds between 3-8mbps.

Which will make wimax minimally equal and maximally 3 times faster.

That said, hspa+ is consistent through out the network, and on a carrier that has little customer base. Wimax is limited to only a few cities.

So the quesiton is, do you live in an high population area, if yes wimax.

Do you live in a 4 g area, if yes wimax.

Do you live in a sprint area, if yes wimax.

If you answered no, then you have to decide.

hspa+ is what lte is going to start as, just 3.5g. It will then slowly change over to lte-a by 2015-16.

There are the facts, you decide.

eieio or River or anybody else for that matter. I'm wondering if someone has any info on Sprint/Clearwire 4G plans for the Phoenix, AZ market.

Phoenix hasn't been listed on Sprints plans for expansion through the end of the year, but I found this article:

Clearwire submits flurry of wireless permits in Chandler

A company's flurry of requests in Chandler for wireless communication permits could be a sign the city - and perhaps the Valley -- will soon become part of the first nationwide http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/01/22/20100122cr-celltower0123.html#network planned by Kirkland, Washington-based Clearwire Corporation. But company officials aren't talking. Many of the new permit requests filed in Chandler and all five on this week's Planning and Zoning Commission agenda are from http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/01/22/20100122cr-celltower0123.html#Clearwire. Corporate spokeswoman Debra Havens declined to discuss the firm's plans. "We have no public announcements about Clearwire service in Arizona; there is nothing I can share today," she said.

Looks like there is some activity, but still no official plans.

Anybody know why Phoenix is being left out?

Not sure of Phoenix in particular, but I have read that permits are often the most common reason for delay/failure in Wimax growth. One of the reason some of the locations already Wimax-live have come online before major metros is that they are more permit-accessible. For many, cable and phone service also can be sporadic so there's no other major political hurdle by those sectors to overcome. Some cable providers are Wimax-friendly, but traditional and wireless telcos see Wimax as direct competition and treat it accordingly. Ironically, this is where the refusal to "connect" outlying communities is where Wimax can gain strength.

Some of the metro areas will probably pick up their openness to Wimax after enough of the politicians and officials get bombarded with people in their districts complaining that it makes no sense that people inside the metro limits are the ones without Wimax access while those inside Wimax range and metro area limits get it despite no metro tower availability.

In addition, I can't see other major metro cities wanted to be left out of the tech edge even if LTE will be coming (slowly) in the next couple of years as well. Going to be interesting to see if permit slowness instantly disappears once the #1 and #2 carriers start requesting permits for LTE towers.

So, with the launch event that took place in NYC today, does it mean NYC now has 4G coverage?

I watched a video clip and heard a Sprint rep said "from a local 4G tower". Is that "local" to the event only or "local" to that part of the city?

Anyone can confirm this? Thanks!

they put that tower up specifically for the event... NYC did NOT get lit up as far as i understand... unfortunately

I think you're right - NYC is not Wimax live yet. At least not via Sprint/Clearwire. I wouldn't be surprised to see it come via Comcast first though when it does happen.

Loved everything about the phone, except I really think the sales potential will take some type of hit because people will be paying for 4G without getting 4G. That said, if the $10 actually removes the 5GB data cap on 3G, then Sprint better market that heavily too.

What needs to happen is a few of these babies get placed in the hands of some politicians so they get addicted to the speed and start pushing for Wimax permits and expansion ASAP.

Android Central reported after the event that the $10 eliminates 3G and 4G data caps. Sprint needs to make that official, and the $10 suddenly looks like the key to being able to use Evo to it's fullest data-hogging potential. 4G then becomes the "nice if you can get it" that it will be for most.

Well. Let's hope they will turn on 4G in NYC by June 4th. That will definitely help the sales.

I will definitely get the phone when it comes out. I don't mind paying the additional $10, with or without 4G (hopefully not for too long without it). But I am definitely not paying for the mobile hotspot until 4G is lit for NYC and expands its coverage a bit into northern NJ.

I called one of the Clearwire stores here in Eugene to ask if they could tell me when exactly we were getting 4G service. He enthusiastically replied, "July 1st!".

I just wanted to give those who are expecting 4G this summer a heads up to try calling their local Clearwire stores to ask if they know exactly when it will be deployed.

Post where you live and what you find out.

List of the soon-to-be-4G cities: Clearwire Corp - News Room - News Release

i just called clear wire and they said that Nashville TN does not have a estimated date yet, although they did say that all areas that get clear wire 3G will get clear 4G by the end of the year.

I called one of the Clearwire stores here in Eugene to ask if they could tell me when exactly we were getting 4G service. He enthusiastically replied, "July 1st!".

I just wanted to give those who are expecting 4G this summer a heads up to try calling their local Clearwire stores to ask if they know exactly when it will be deployed.

We're supposed to get service by the end of the year here in Denver, but we don't have a local store to call yet. Clearwire Chat didn't have any new info for me.

That is a soft on. You can get 4g in some parts of eugene now.

Boston, New York and Parts Jersey all soft launched

More Areas in VA soft launched as well
Correct.

I can officially confirm that NYC has 4G service. I usually connect with my HTC Hero and pda.net, but today I connected with my 3G/4G Modem and I am currently sending this post using 4G. WOOHOO.

This is without having to update my PRL on the modem, which is asking me to do that right now. Will update and report back.

TS out

Boston, New York and Parts Jersey all soft launched

More Areas in VA soft launched as well

can you specify what parts of new jersey? i live in bergen county in northern new jersey and i have been trying to find out when 4g will reach here. thanks

I am about 5 miles east of Manhattan and i have an Overdrive. I want to see if I can get a 4g signal. I am on a 3g data plan and Sprint wont change me over to a 4G plan until 4G oficially launches in NYC.

Anyway around this? Do i definetly need the 4G plan to get 4G? My router is saying no 4G detected.

I am about 5 miles east of Manhattan and i have an Overdrive. I want to see if I can get a 4g signal. I am on a 3g data plan and Sprint wont change me over to a 4G plan until 4G oficially launches in NYC.

Anyway around this? Do i definetly need the 4G plan to get 4G? My router is saying no 4G detected.

If you're on just the data plan, I thought use of 3G or 4G didn't matter.

If you're on just the data plan, I thought use of 3G or 4G didn't matter.

I thought so too. But there are two data plans. A 3G only plan and a 4g/3g plan. I am on the 3g only and i was told unless i have the 4g plan i will NOT be able to access the 4g signal.

Correct.

I can officially confirm that NYC has 4G service. I usually connect with my HTC Hero and pda.net, but today I connected with my 3G/4G Modem and I am currently sending this post using 4G. WOOHOO.

This is without having to update my PRL on the modem, which is asking me to do that right now. Will update and report back.

TS out

TS,can you do speed tests comparing 3G and 4G? I know its been done many times before, but I'm just curious.

I thought so too. But there are two data plans. A 3G only plan and a 4g/3g plan. I am on the 3g only and i was told unless i have the 4g plan i will NOT be able to access the 4g signal.

Interesting. I did not think they could block signal if you have an authorized device. In addition doesn't your device autoselect the fastest service available?

Try the Sprint forums page to see if anyone with a dual mode device has any history with this.

One of the reasons I've thought Evo comes with required $10 charge is that there may not be a 100% reliable way or interest in tracking data on 4G. Why would Sprint or anyone want to track it if it's not going to clog up the network? To me that would be like trying to charge boats and ships taxes based on how much water they'd displace as they travel through the waters. In the end, displacement's so inconsequential on oceans and really only matters on the smallest or most fragile rivers, lakes, and streams

I was wondering when you tether on the sprint network, do the IP's change? With t-mobile new IPs are generated and if its the same deal on the sprint network.

I was wondering when you tether on the sprint network, do the IP's change? With t-mobile new IPs are generated and if its the same deal on the sprint network.
Yes they will, you can not use them for a server function sorry. The 3g will change every time you reconnect and the wimax will change, just a lot slower.

The only reason you need a static ip is to connect a 2 way link with a home/general server. This is a bad idea from the start. If you are planing to run a gaming/home/business/personal server off your htc evo connection, it will not work or just ruin your phone. Your phone is not a modem and server connection.

Back
Top Bottom