• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*** .::Official Handbrake for Droid Incredible by HTC Thread:.. ***

Isn't that always the way. Encode two hours, test, fail, change setting, encode another two hours, test, fail, web search, change setting, encode another two hours, test, success. :)

It's not really that bad if you use handbrake's preview function...

Forgot it had one. :p But thanks guys so far so good. Just did Toy Story at 800x480 1000 bit rate came out to 675MB and looks incredible and smooth.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Upvote 0
Why are you folks wasting storage space and battery coding videos at native res of the device? Kind of pointless considering the res of DVD is less and you are looking at a 3.7" display. 570X322 (ish) res is perfect and saves space and battery life. True dat. Also set the bitrate to around 600, audio to 96kb and activate double pass. In H264, of course at 24 fps

Just TRY it :)

Upvote 0
I love using Handbrake for it's ease of use but I am having audio problems when I try to compress an mp4 file down to another mp4. I'll resize to fit the screen, drop the resolution if it's a BRRIP and then I get audio that seems to be stretched about three times it's length. Bad. No problems if converting from .avi or .xvid.

Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
I dont think any players will play the avi files so that is why everyone is converting... but im not sure...

i know when you convert, you get to change settings to make the file smaller and what not...

Update from me....
i updated my Handbrake program and then just selected the iphone/ipod preset and converted a short tv show and it works now.....

Upvote 0
so it will play all my m4v videos?
LOL....No...err maybe.

If it plays Divx, it doesn't mean that player will play.m4v files. They are different. The Dinc will play .m4v file naively, but won't show metadata thats within the file. If you just literally change the file extension to .mp4 it will display the file name, but none of the other info within the file. (Such as episode name & number, episode info etc, etc...)

This thread was started with good intentions I believe, but way to full of outdated/misinformation starting from the original poster down. Each DVD is different from the next. From cartoon's to TV shows, to movies are different as well.

Read the Handbrake Wiki, and forums for more info. I know its not easy to read and find info, but its there. If I can find the energy I'll post some tips, but even tips can tun in to a lengthily discussion.

Ipod Touch, iphone(all gens), newer gen ipods, Dinc will work well with the Apple Universal Preset, and then go from there. I beleive the iphone 3gs can even handle the Apple TV preset now as well.(not sure, been a while since I read up on the 3gs debate on Handbrake forums.)

VBR is the way to go with video. It is so much better quality over ABR(constant bitrate). In music it may not matter as much to 90% of the people, but in videos it makes a nice difference.

If you do sign up and post on the Handbrake forums make sure and check carefully that the answers are not already posted somewhere to your question.(through other peoples post/wiki/knowledge base) If your getting errors with files, or not transcoding correctly and have a question post your whole data log. If you don't, your thread will get deleted and/or locked instantly damn near.

They don't have time for people to sign up, post once with a question asked thats been answered many a times, or problems transcoding where the poster doesn't give them anymore info than "it didn't work". Iv'e reported a few people myself over there because they were to lazy to post more than a one sentence question that has been answered to many time.

I find the same bullshit in the Android Media forum as well. Part of the problem is its just not as simple as opening the program and hitting start and finish as one would at first think when ripping and transcoding a DVD. It gets much more involved for a quality transcode.

If you think I sound harsh in the last few paragraphs, just wait and see what they do to you over there. The Admin's, Mod's, Senior members have no problem telling people to eff off(quite serious). Especially the newbies that post once and never come back, such as the case we have here with some newbies with 1-2 posts and never come back.

Upvote 0
no real reason to have 1500 bitrate if you just plan to watch it on your inc. unless your really anal about quality a file size of ~250 is pretty much fine to fit a decent amount of movies. if you have trouble finding the correct bitrates you can always change it to encode to an approx size if you really just want something basic

Upvote 0
Why are you folks wasting storage space and battery coding videos at native res of the device? Kind of pointless considering the res of DVD is less and you are looking at a 3.7" display. 570X322 (ish) res is perfect and saves space and battery life. True dat. Also set the bitrate to around 600, audio to 96kb and activate double pass. In H264, of course at 24 fps

Just TRY it :)

i might try this for a dvd encode, but i'm currently converting from 720p & the results are spectacular using OP's instructions.

TIP: "Add" a preset of your settings in Handbrake for the future

Upvote 0
Turn down the bitrate for the video. The bitrate doesn't need to be any higher than the bitrate of the original movie.

Also, since the source is 700mb, I'm going to guess it's a divx/xvid file. There is no need to use 800 pixel width for the new file unless the source has a larger width.

Good luck.
Also if it is already in divx/xvid it should not need to be reformatted try playing them with rockplayer

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones