• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official] Ordered/I've got mine thread. :)

Are you going to buy the nexus 6?

• Yes! Take my money! (Off- Contract)

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • Yes! With carrier subsidy/payment plan

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • No - Was going to buy, but now out of my price range

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • No- Was not going to buy

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 13 12.4%

• Total voters
Am I the only one that carries an external battery pack. More juice, don't have to remove my case and cover and the most annoying part temporarily interrupted use due to rebooting

I carry one and I hate it. My 9000 MAH external battery is the size of about 15 batteries for my s3 (my last phone prior to the N5). Thankfully mine uses wifi charging, so I don't also have to carry a charging cable with me, or it'd be even worse.

A battery pack is a drastically inferior solution to a removable battery. I'd much rather remove my case and swap batteries than have to carry a giant battery pack, make sure I keep my phone aligned on the charger to charge (or hooked up via cable), etc.

Upvote 0
I've had every Nexus phone when they were released. I'm undecided about the 6 though. Like most of you, I'm not happy about the 6 inch screen. I'm considering other choices.

If the Nexus 6 had any other size display I would_not_be interested.

In fact since I_have_had virtually every other sized display it's how I know the 6" is absolutely ideal for my needs preferences and complete enjoyment. :D

Upvote 0
I find it funny how people are complaining about the screen size. I have the Samaung galaxy Mega 6.3. I couldn't imagine going back to using a smaller screen. Video is much better on a larger screen. Games look better and are easier to play. Reading email and webpages are much easier. I think the price point for the nexus 6 is a bit high. But hey i paid 500 bucks for the Mega so I guess its not much more for better specs. Im going to wait till t mo has one on display then go over to play with it.Maybe get it around tax time... I'm on metro pcs, they wont be getting it unfortunately.

Upvote 0
I find it funny how people are complaining about the screen size. I have the Samaung galaxy Mega 6.3. I couldn't imagine going back to using a smaller screen. Video is much better on a larger screen. Games look better and are easier to play. Reading email and webpages are much easier. I think the price point for the nexus 6 is a bit high. But hey i paid 500 bucks for the Mega so I guess its not much more for better specs. Im going to wait till t mo has one on display then go over to play with it.Maybe get it around tax time... I'm on metro pcs, they wont be getting it unfortunately.

I'm quite familiar with the Mega 6.3, it's rather popular here. But after handling and demonstrating it in the stores, for me it's definitely a two handed device in use, and rather large for my pockets. Most Chinese gents usually carry their smart-phones in manbags, and don't pocket them.

The Mega was originally intended for emerging markets, as a large screen but affordable mid-range smart-phone. Really because in the absence of carrier contracts and subsidies, flagship Samsungs like the S5 and Notes tend to be unaffordable for many, and the iPhone 6+ is horribly expensive here. The Mega was released in here China long before it went to the US. The Nexus 6 is not coming to China, but then no Nexus devices have ever been made available here, because Google is banned.

Reactions: zipred and KOLIO
Upvote 0
805, 3 GB ram, 6" QHD and what seems like a fair price to me for 32 GB - more so if we can get it subsidized on a new contract.

WifelyMon is ready for something new and is getting tired of her 4.7" display - no idea yet but we are definitely going to shop this one, see how it feels for her.

I understand about the Nexus price departure - but - like I said, 805, 3 GB and a 6" display - seems pretty fair to me.

Only worry I know she'll have will be the camera.

I don't expect to get her a real camera, if you know what I mean, but I'm in the camp thinking that Moto has never really nailed this area.

Upvote 0
I'm enjoying the wait, as crazy as that sounds. Just knowing the Nexus 6 has absolutely everything I want is incredibly astonishing and completely satisfying.

Even better is the fact that it doesn't have what I despise.... like a fingerprint reader. It's not a privacy issue that causes me to hate it but two reasons.

1) I'd never use it cause I have used secure passwords as part of my daily routine at work and home all these years. I'm used to changing them frequently thus its habit and automatic.

2) A fingerprint reader would make me think of Apple, a company I used to like till they became so powerful and influential that other companies feel compelled to include the same features Apple does.

Back to positive thoughts, in a matter of weeks or possibly even days the splendid Nexus 6 will become my new Primary Smartphone... WoooHooo :D

Upvote 0
I'm quite familiar with the Mega 6.3, it's rather popular here. But after handling and demonstrating it in the stores, for me it's definitely a two handed device in use, and rather large for my pockets. Most Chinese gents usually carry their smart-phones in manbags, and don't pocket them.

The Mega was originally intended for emerging markets, as a large screen but affordable mid-range smart-phone. Really because in the absence of carrier contracts and subsidies, flagship Samsungs like the S5 and Notes tend to be unaffordable for many, and the iPhone 6+ is horribly expensive here. The Mega was released in here China long before it went to the US. The Nexus 6 is not coming to China, but then no Nexus devices have ever been made available here, because Google is banned.

I've heard that one handed comment from youtube reviews a lot, but in reality I've never actually seen anyone use one hand with any touch screen phone.

Metro pcs doesn't have subsidies. so we have to pay full price for our phones.

805, 3 GB ram, 6" QHD and what seems like a fair price to me for 32 GB - more so if we can get it subsidized on a new contract.

WifelyMon is ready for something new and is getting tired of her 4.7" display - no idea yet but we are definitely going to shop this one, see how it feels for her.

I understand about the Nexus price departure - but - like I said, 805, 3 GB and a 6" display - seems pretty fair to me.

Only worry I know she'll have will be the camera.

I don't expect to get her a real camera, if you know what I mean, but I'm in the camp thinking that Moto has never really nailed this area.

I think google is going to find they made a big mistake with the price. The reason the N5 was so popular was because of the low price.

This phone being so much. it's going to put a lot of people off. Google is making a windows 8 mistake with the price and with the fugly childish Lollipop.

Upvote 0
I've heard that one handed comment from youtube reviews a lot, but in reality I've never actually seen anyone use one hand with any touch screen phone.

Metro pcs doesn't have subsidies. so we have to pay full price for our phones.

I see a lot of both one handed and two handed users of smart-phones, usually people standing on buses and subways.
affed7c8b0f015e07c4638f584772251.jpg

Two handed smart-phone user in Hong Kong.

Thing is if you're not holding on and the train or bus lurches suddenly, you and the smart-phone are going to go flying. I've seen it happen more than once. I prefer to hold on to something.

In fact in Hong Kong, subway travellers are so addicted to smart-phones, they actually have audible announcements on the escalators, warning people about holding on to the handrails, and keeping eyes ahead and not only on their mobile phones....LOL

Reactions: zipred
Upvote 0
Pricing...

Only time will tell where the carriers price the Nexus 6 either on a 2yr contract or their programs like Next and Jump.

As a result it caused me to go to the Apple Store at Apple dot com. What I found there was interesting and typical Apple, (meaning clever or nefarious depending on ones viewpoint).

A lot of clicking is required to reveal any price, none of which takes you to the full off contact prices. Unlike Google and others where the full price of the phone is clearly listed below the image of it on the first page.

With Apple they show the phone without any price, which is very misleading to the novice buyer.

First click you choose between iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.
Second click you choose the color
Third click you choose the carrier...and you still haven't seen a price!
Frankly by this point I'm irritated, yet the average person that believes Apples hype is thinking this phone is much less than the "expensive" Nexus 6.

I ran out of patience at this point, since it was obvious they weren't going to show the real of price $850, a full $200 more than the Nexus 6. Only Apple could do this without any pushback from the techies, reviewers and other Pro Apple types.

One things for certain Apple is a very clever marketeer.

Reactions: akmsr
Upvote 0
I see a lot of both one handed and two handed users of smart-phones, usually people standing on buses and subways.
affed7c8b0f015e07c4638f584772251.jpg

Two handed smart-phone user in Hong Kong.

Thing is if you're not holding on and the train or bus lurches suddenly, you and the smart-phone are going to go flying. I've seen it happen more than once. I prefer to hold on to something.

In fact in Hong Kong, subway travellers are so addicted to smart-phones, they actually have audible announcements on the escalators, warning people about holding on to the handrails, and keeping eyes ahead and not only on their mobile phones....LOL

no subways in Michigan haha. and people on the bus here sit down.

Upvote 0
I hope a bigger pricetag means a better build quality.
A comment like this puzzles me. I personally have purchased six new Nexus 5 models. Started with mine, the other family members were using iPhone's, after a few weeks of watching me enjoy my Nexus with its spacious display, they asked me to buy them a N5. I did and now after a year these are doing great, looking great and remain fast and fun to use.

I can only surmise people have seen some that were subject to being dropped or they're dirty and abused. Since they're not on display anywhere it's not like people have a chance to look at them in a store.

The quality of materials is very nice. I have and have had each year, purchased about every top of the line flagship Android phones from each of the top manufactures. Unless it's an obsession with a metal phone then it's a personal preference.

I've bought every single iPhone since day one, I'm currently using an HTC M8 as one of my secondary smartphones, while my Nexus 5 remains my Primary phone.

Anyway at the end of the day I think it's possibly because people just don't like the phone for whatever reason and decide to claim build quality is bad as a result of a snap decision.

I'm completely brand neutral, not married to any of these, I enjoy every phone I buy for its strengths... and some are better than others. Variety is what I enjoy.

Upvote 0
Where exactly are you even getting $25? Also, as it was online, there's a high chance it's an online only pricing.

Also, you're randomly adding in $49. When you do the math, you pay the phone cost almost exact (usually slightly over). Why are they just cutting $49 from it?

There's a high likelihood these numbers are correct. Take a look the AT&T Next and T-mobile Jump programs. They divide the full price of the phone by 24 months . They then establish a downpayment ($49). It's the established way of financing the phone at zero interest.

Upvote 0
Where exactly are you even getting $25? Also, as it was online, there's a high chance it's an online only pricing.

Also, you're randomly adding in $49. When you do the math, you pay the phone cost almost exact (usually slightly over). Why are they just cutting $49 from it?
OK, I see, you're responding to my original post. Listen up while I educate you. $25 is the extra charge you pay every month on at&t when you sign a 2 year contract and get a subsidized price on a phone. When you use the Next program to buy a phone you are not charged the $25 fee but you are charged a monthly payment for the phone.

Also, there was no random adding of $49 in my post. You may want to work on your reading comprehension skills. .

Upvote 0
OK, I see, you're responding to my original post. Listen up while I educate you. $25 is the extra charge you pay every month on at&t when you sign a 2 year contract and get a subsidized price on a phone. When you use the Next program to buy a phone you are not charged the $25 fee but you are charged a monthly payment for the phone.

Also, there was no random adding of $49 in my post. You may want to work on your reading comprehension skills. .

Please provide a link to verify the $25 per month charge.

Upvote 0
The leaked price on the att website of 49 for a Nexus 6 seems exactly right. The device is $649 off contract and the additional monthly charge per line with att is $25 for 24 months when you get a subsidized phone. 25x24=600+49=$649. So yeah, its six-fitty no matter how you slice it.

The Nexus 6 is one device for all of the US. What is preventing me from getting it for $49, then pay ETF of $350, and walk away with a new phone for $400, saving $650!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones