• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Official Root Guide] Kyocera Hydro Vibe

n5l8yif.png

Warning, this might turn your phone into bender who wants to kill all humans!
In all seriousness, you use this at your own risk! It is not my fault if you brick your phone, I did not create the program. Just came across it, took a gamble.

Phone still seems to work OK for me after this. Programs seem to get granted Root permissions. However, Root checkers claim its not rooted at first. Superuser seems to get uninstalled, but when reinstalled it only knows how to crash. So you need to install SuperSU Instead to update the superuser binaries. This will allow full root.

Root Genius installs something called Kinguser. Seems to work, and things that require root permissions seem to work such as uninstalling annoying built in apps like Lumen Toolbar (Yeah you can disable it without root, but it still there taking space. But I was able to fully remove it.)

=======Root Guide =========

AGAIN DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!! ALL FAULTS ARE YOUR OWN!!

Warning!!

Do not attempt to factory update your phone while rooted. It will Error, &
Turn it into a coaster (bootloop), if you are unable to get a replacement. If update is important before you attempt it use the same program to unroot. (Havent tried unrooting to see if that works but couple others said it will).

Advice!
This method is only for Android Jelly Bean at this time.
In the OTA Update a new kernel is applied which blocks this root method.
I am in the hunt for a new method. Until than if root is importan. do not use the factory upgrade.

No Recovery!
This phone is still locked at this time. So there no way to flash a new recovery or custom roms at this time. So do anything on this guide at your own risk. there is no way to backup your phone and restore it in event of a bootloop.

AGAIN DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!! ALL FAULTS ARE YOUR OWN!!

Requirements
-Windows OS
-Android 4.3 (4.4.2 see after this method)
1. Enable USB Debugging
(go to setting -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number till Dev Options enable, Go back to settings, Dev Options, Check USB Debugging)

2. Download Root Genius
ROOT Genius - Android Oneclick Root Tool

3. Run the program and follow it step by step. it dose everything on its own pretty much from there.
If it keeps asking to retry, Check your phone to make sure you allow the computer to connect.

4. Let it do its thing and finish. But don't stop here, if you do the root will only be half done! Finish the steps.

5. Install SuperSU (From the PlayStore) instead of Superuser (Doing this will allow Root Checkers to see the device is indeed rooted)

6. Remove kinguser at this point for its not needed. (Also My aVast mobile app told me to remove it that it was not safe when a update came out for it. Play it safe. use your own picked app to replace it. you may have to install an app like "System app remover (ROOT)" to remove it.)

7. Enjoy! :) & BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR ROOT!

=======================
=======================

*For Android 4.4.2*
Advice: At your own risk. This app has some privacy concerns see how it wants to see your contacts, stats, etc. Use this at your own risk.

Note: Before finding this method i tried many others one being Kingoroot. Which failed but did put Kinguser into the system partition. It was useless & became unremovable. silly how that work but that's all it could do was add a app. but still did not grant root.

But after this method Kinguser being compatible started working allowing use for english app that can control root permissions. Might want to think about it before using this method even know it will fail. It is up to you. This method uses a APK thats all chinese, so after rooting the management app is chinese and impossible to navigate unless you can read it. But because i tried to root with Kingoroot before this. Kinguser see the used root and binaries and is in english. Because of this after root i removed Kingroot, and the chinese app it installs leaving Kinguser as is. Root was still useable. removing the privacy concerns that came with them.

Or you can try to just download the Kinguser APK if you already rooted.
http://superuser.kingoapp.com/

---
Step 1: Go into settings - Security - Check Unknown Sources

Step 2: Simply Download Kingroot apk and install it

Step 3: Open it, and onces it comes up hit the blue root button.
(if you get lost here. watch this dudes video).

Step 4: Once its done, reboot the device. Install a root checker to confirm root, and enjoy! ;) (Root checker might report back false no root status at first. Once permission is granted to it, either force close and open it again, or toggle new(old) View from the top right settings (the 3 dots) and recheck.)

Step 5: (Your choice) For english Root permission management download Kinguser if you don't already have it.
---

Warning: Attempting to update SU Binaries with this phone with any superuser app might break root permission. A superuser app is not needed anyways. In event you do this by mistake. you will need to power off the phone, Then holding Vol Down, at the same time with Power. Factory Reset it. Reinstalling Kingroot without doing this will not help. but factory reset will. Cheers!

Choice Apps I added after this where BusyBox & Device Control. Nice apps to have with root. Device control needs busybox, and with Device control I removed unwanted bloatware, and have nice settings and tools.

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread. I can't seem to find much about rooting this phone.

No Prop,

I didn't have any luck ether. so i took a gamble on a random program. not as is the phone was listed anywhere on its website. In English anyways. So i took the risk, scared that i might brick it.

But to my surprise it rebooted back in and worked OK. Only thing had to do after that was install and Run SuperSU. and Now it shows rooted.

Thats all i have done to it, just root it. nothing else.

Reactions: Lpen21
Upvote 0
I also was wondering if you saw a screen transition when going to your app drawer from the home screen and vice versa, such as the ones you see when opening an app. I don't know if there was one when I first got the phone, or if there never was one. It's weird though. Anyway, I just wanted to know if you noticed a lack of a screen transition when opening the app drawer.

Upvote 0
I also was wondering if you saw a screen transition when going to your app drawer from the home screen and vice versa, such as the ones you see when opening an app. I don't know if there was one when I first got the phone, or if there never was one. It's weird though. Anyway, I just wanted to know if you noticed a lack of a screen transition when opening the app drawer.

I have the google now launcher installed and there is a transition with that, but I think with the stock launcher there is not. I wouldn't think rooting would affect that anyhow. Probably more launcher related. I myself have not yet rooted the phone yet, once I do I can report further on transitions. Those of you who have rooted, what is the impression so far? Also what apps have you installed once rooted?

Upvote 0
After I rooted the phone, I installed a CPU overclocking app called No-Frills CPU Control. I haven't really noticed much of a difference though. I installed because I noticed that swiping through things like home screens or swiping away apps on the Recent Apps screen seemed kind of laggy and not as smooth as I thought they should be. I also installed a screen recorder app so that I can record games I play. I was thinking about trying to use a custom ROM, but that's how I bricked my last phone, and why I had to buy this new one. Do you think I should try anyway?

Upvote 0
First you would need working recovery. If you read the threads for the kyocera hydro its a no go. The bootloader is locked and there is no working recovery so,you,would likely brick again. I am coming from a lg optimus v, which had all kinds of dev support, actually running KitKat on that ancient phone so it did need overclocking, not sure this phone needs that, probably just install a better launcher to make it smoother. Don't think Kyocera will ever unlock the bootloader so we may be stuck with just root. I would kill to have CM 11 on this beast of a phone, would be epic.

Upvote 0
Yeah, sadly for now only thing can do is root the phone. getting around the bootloader is beyond my ability, and then other ROMs to have a version ported over for the phone. I would love to have CM 11 on it as well. But have to wait on someone to unlock it.

As for transitions, Take a peek at some other launchers. I Was using Go Launcher, but it seems to want to keep restarting when I try to load up a standard Widget on this phone. Its fine with Go Widgets but not with standard widgets. So I switched to Atom. I haven't tried Google now launcher.

I am seeing some annoying bugs with some of the Go Apps. Not just Go Launcher. Like GoSMS. I can do MMS at the speed of light on the stock messaging app. But GoSMS just sits there with the sending indicator flashing and nothing after that. Sent a log to the devs and haven't heard back. I like having my stickers. but Might have to use another Apps in the mean time because I dont care much for the standard messaging app.

But if I come across any more news on the phone if no one has reported it on here ill do another post.
Glad to know people are so far not setting there phones on fire with this ROOT I came across. lol

Upvote 0
Google now works ok, nothing fancy basically swiping to the left loads the google now page. Little in the way of customization, though there may be some tweaks in exposed framework modules. It's my default launcher but the icons are huge, wish there was a way to shrink them. Unlocking the bootloader is beyond my ability as well, I know others in this Forum have asked Kyocera to unlock but they refuse stating that it's up to the carrier to decide.

Upvote 0
Google now works ok, nothing fancy basically swiping to the left loads the google now page. Little in the way of customization, though there may be some tweaks in exposed framework modules. It's my default launcher but the icons are huge, wish there was a way to shrink them. Unlocking the bootloader is beyond my ability as well, I know others in this Forum have asked Kyocera to unlock but they refuse stating that it's up to the carrier to decide.

I think there is in atom, i haven't played with it much. but if Go Launcher gets fixed for it. you can adjust all that on there. Also know there others out there with the ability. So maybe you can play around with options find one to your liking.

And I wish i had the skills to unlock the bootloader, but im more of a hardware guy.

Upvote 0
I have posted a question regarding a working recovery for Our phone on XDA developer forum. If you get a chance hit the thanks button and it may get the attention of a developer. The question was posted on the Q&A section of the forum. I know that developing a recovery for a phone(with locked bootloader) is possible as it has been done by DoomLord for the Sony Experia so hopefully there is a glimmer of hope for this phone.

Reactions: AndroidPhoneUser
Upvote 0
Now that we have root but no recovery I thought I would post this guide developed by Leslianne who is an awesome developer. This guide mostly pertains to lg optimus V ROMs but I think it applies to Android in general. Hopefully this will save someone a bunch of headaches and prevent you from removing stuff you should not remove.

02-18-2012, 12:33 AM Thread Author #1
LeslieAnn

Posts2,893 Posts
ROMHarmonia 3
APK's, their purpose and safe or not to remove
This contains Froyo, Gingerbread, ICS, Cyanogenmod

Note: The effects of removing certain apps can change depending on what version of Android and which rom you have. CM responds differently than stock, GB responds differently than Froyo.

A
AccountAndSyncSettings – Syncs settings to Google, especially important to Gmail. Do not delete.
Android_VirginUS-Chat – Virgin Mobile Chat forum app. Safe to remove.
AndroidUTSManager – Possibly Time sync system. Not recommended to delete.
ApplicationsProvider – Provides the list of installed apps to Market. Delete at your own peril.

B
BackupRestoreConfirmation - restores sync'd Google settings. Do not remove.
Bluetooth – Bluetooth connection system. Do not remove if you use Bluetooth.
BluetoothServices - Bluetooth connection system. Do not remove if you use Bluetooth.
Browser – Stock Android web browser. Semi-safe to remove, can break bookmarks, voice search and possibly market.

C
Calculator – Calculator. Safe to remove.
Calendar – Calendar app. Safe to remove.
CalendarGoogle - Calendar app. Safe to remove.
CalendarProvider -sync system for Calendar. Safe to remove.
Camera – Camera app. Do not remove if you use your camera.
CarHomeGoogle – Utilities to make using your phone safer while driving. Safe to remove.
CertInstaller – Wifi certificate installer. Do not remove.
ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter – syncs Chrome bookmarks. Safe to remove.
ChromeToPhone – syncs Chrome bookmarks Safe to remove.
CMParts – Settings in Cyanogenmod roms will force close without this. Do not remove.
CMScreenshot – Screen capture application. Safe to remove.
com.google.android.marvin.kickback – Provides keyboard feedback through vibration. Safe to remove.
com.google.android.marvin.soundback – Provides keyboard feedback through clicks. Safe to remove.
com.google.android.marvin.talkback – Provides keyboard feedback through voice. Safe to remove.
Contacts – Your contact list. Do not remove.
ContactsProvider – Syncs contacts. Do not remove.
Cyanbread – Stock Cyanogenmod theme. Do note Remove unless you have an alternative installed.

D
DefaultContainerService – Needed for installing apps. Do not remove.
DeskClock – Clock and alarm system. Safe to remove
Development – Development app. Safe to remove.
DownloadProvider – Handles (all) web browser downloads. Do not remove.
DownloadProviderUi – Browser download interface. If removed, you won't see download status.
DrmProvider – Handles DRM for media that contains it. Do not remove or you will break said media.
DSPManager – Equalizer for tuning audio. Safe to remove.
DunServer – Possibly part of the VPN system. Delete at your own risk.

E
Email – Email app. Safe to remove, but will make it impossible to setup your phone/Market with Exchange – email transport system. Do not remove.
ExternalMemoryTest – Possibly part of over the air provisioning. Possibly safe to remove, but not recommended.

F
FM – FM radio player. Not functional on Optimus V. Safe to remove.
Fotakill – Disables over the air updates. Depending on rom and phone, may be safe to remove (safe to remove on the OV).

G
Galaxy4 – Live wallpapers. Safe to remove.
Gallery3D – Picture gallery utilty. Safe to remove
GalleryGoogle – Picture gallery utilty. Safe to remove
GenieWidget – Stock news and weather app. Safe to remove.
Gmail - Gmail app. Safe to remove, but can make it harder to setup your phone/Market with Gmail
GoogleBackupTransport – Handles backup of settings. Safe to remove.
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter -sync system for Calendar. Safe to remove.
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter -sync system for Contacts. Safe to remove.
GoogleFeedback – Forceclose reporting for Gapps. Safe for the phone to remove, but could cause problems for Gapps.
GoogleLoginService - Google login system. Do not remove.
GooglePartnerSetup - In App purchases? Not recommended to remove.
GoogleQuickSearchBox – Search box widget. Safe to remove
GoogleServicesFramework – Google login system for Gapps. Do not remove.
GoogleTTS - Text to speech. Should be safe to remove, but is needed by Google Maps.

H
HiddenMenu – Hidden programming menus. Don't delete.
HTMLViewer – Filters html to be more compatible. Safe to remove, but not recommended.
HoloSpiralWallpaper – Live wallpapers. Safe to remove.

I
J
K
KeyChain – Possibly password tool similar to Ubuntu. Not recommended to be removed.

L
LatinIME – On screen keyboard. Safe to remove if you have an alternative installed.
Launcher2 – Stock Froyo launcher. Safe to remove, if you have an alternative installed.
LgHiddenMenu – Hidden menu settings/phone codes. Do not remove.
LGSetupWizard – Either part of initial setup, or account setup. Remove at your own risk.
LiveWallpapers – Live wallpapers. Safe to remove.
LiveWallpapersPicker – Live wallpaper Picker. Safe to remove if you don't use live wallpaper.

M
MagicSmokeWallpapers – Live wallpapers. Safe to remove.
Maps – Google Maps/Navigation. Safe to remove.
MarketUpdater – Starts with Market and checks for updates. Safe to remove.
MediaProvider - Handles ringtones and such, DO not remove.
Mms – MMS system. Do not remove.
Music – Music player. Safe to remove.

N
NetworkLocation – Provides location through towers instead of gps. Not recommended to remove.
NoiseField – Live wallpapers. Safe to remove.

O
OneTimeInitializer – Runs after first flashing of Gapps to allow you to chose which you want. Safe to remove.
OpenWnn – Chinese or Japanese keyboard. Safe to Remove

P
PackageInstaller – Installs apps. Do not remove.
Pacman – Package manager. (?) Do not remove.
PhaseBeam – Live wallpapers. Safe to remove.
Phone – Phone dialer. Do not Remove.
PicoTts – Text to speech. Should be safe to remove, but is needed by Google Maps.
PinyinIME – Chinese or Japanese keyboard. Safe to Remove
Poynt-Virgin – Poynt app. Safe to remove.
Protips – Tips widget. Safe to remove.
Provision – New phone setup wizard. Should be safe to remove.

Q
QuickSearchBox – Search box widget. Safe to remove, but may break the search button.

R
S
Scvngr – Scavenge App. Battery hog. Safe to Remove
SelfServiceAssistant - Virgin activation app. Safe, but not recommended to remove.
Settings – Settings system. Do not remove.
SettingsProvider – Part of the settings sync system. Do not remove.
SetupWizard – Wizard to setup email. Do not remove.
SharedStorageBackup - Possibly USB connection menu. Do not remove.
SoundRecorder – Sound recorder. Should be safe to remove.
SpareParts – Extra settings for Cyanogenmod. Safe to remove.
SpeechRecorder – Part of speech recognition setup. Do not remove if you use voice.
SPGMyAccount – Useless shortcut to web. Safe to Remove
Superuser – Handles root/SU permissions. Do not remove.
SystemUI – Part of the user interface. Do not remove.

T
Talk – Google Talk. Possibly safe to remove, but could break Market.
TelephonyProvider – Phone system. Do not remove.
ThemeChooser – Cyanogenmod theme system. Do not remove.
ThemeManager – Cyanogenmod theme system. Do not remove.
Trebuchet – Stock ICS launcher. Safe to remove, IF you have an alternative launcher installed.
TtsService. - Text to speech. Should be safe to remove, but is needed by Google Maps.
Twidroyd – Twitter. Battery hog. Safe to Remove.

U
Usbstorage – Usb storage. Do not remove if you access files on your phone from your computer.
UserDictionaryProvider – Dictionary for word prediction on keyboards. May be safe to remove.

V
Vending – Market App. Safe to remove, but you won't have Market.
Virgin_Mobile – Useless shortcut to web. Safe to Remove
VisualizationWallpapers – Live wallpapers. Safe to remove.
vmu_store_release_candidate – Virgin Mobile app. Should be safe to remove.
VoiceDialer – Voice dialing. Safe to remove.
VoiceSearch – Voice search,. Safe to remove.
VpnDialogs _ Part of the VPN system. Safe to remove if you aren't using it.
VpnServices – VPN adapter. Safe to remove.

W
WAPPushManager – Tethering connectivity. Safe to remove if you don't use tethering/access point mode.
WHERE – Where Application Battery hog. Safe to Remove. Battery Hog.

X
Y
YouTube – Youtube viewer. Safe to Remove.

Z

Upvote 0
Hi, I wanted to ask you if you experienced any lag or choppiness when swiping through home screens, scrolling through a page while on an app, or when swiping away apps on the Recent Apps Screen. I have, and it's really annoying. I feel like a phone that has a quad-core processor phone should be able to handle things like that a lot better. My last phone only had a dual-core processor and it was a lot smoother than this one, in certain cases. People seem to not like Kyocera phones, so I guess this is why. But anyway, I wanted to know if you experienced any lag in any of the cases I mentioned above. I tried different launchers to see if any of them would at least get rid of the lag I experienced while swiping through home screens. I'm using Apex Launcher and there seems to be less lag, so I guess I'll just keep using this one.
Sorry about the long paragraph.

Upvote 0
Hi, I wanted to ask you if you experienced any lag or choppiness when swiping through home screens, scrolling through a page while on an app, or when swiping away apps on the Recent Apps Screen. I have, and it's really annoying. I feel like a phone that has a quad-core processor phone should be able to handle things like that a lot better. My last phone only had a dual-core processor and it was a lot smoother than this one, in certain cases. People seem to not like Kyocera phones, so I guess this is why. But anyway, I wanted to know if you experienced any lag in any of the cases I mentioned above. I tried different launchers to see if any of them would at least get rid of the lag I experienced while swiping through home screens. I'm using Apex Launcher and there seems to be less lag, so I guess I'll just keep using this one.
Sorry about the long paragraph.

Before or after root?

Only when booting the phone up. at first its a little laggy but it clears up in no time and is just fine for me. I have not tried Apex, Only Go, and Atom Launcher.

Not sure what could be causing you lag. Because so far I am running great.
If you rooted it try to get Clean Master from the play store, its a nice little tool for clearing out junk and unwanted apps more easily. also to see if your ram isn't being all hogged by something.

With phones like computers its not just the CPU that makes it fast. its other things as well. So make sure your not trying to run too much at a time.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0
No lag or choppiness whatsoever on my end with " normal" use .Having said that this phone tends to overheat quicker than most I have had, possibly because it's sealed so tight since its waterproof, so it's not the ideal phone for processor intense activities like heavy gaming. Also heavy multitasking like GPS navigation, while listening to music will overheat the phone and could force a random soft reboot or lag. For everyday "normal" use its fine as long as you don't throttle it too much. In addition to what TroyFoxxin has suggested try cache cleaner NG by L sartory to clear cache, could definitely be an app that's sucking RAM or one that's trying to lock on location so turn off GPS when not using. Can also try sEFIX lag reduction app by ZVD and seeder which is a paid app but if you google Seeder APK can get it for free, I think through XDA site.mI have used these apps before on my rooted optimus v and it helped a lot with lag.

Upvote 0
Doesn't seem to be worming for me, it says installed successfully then root failed. I'm on 4.3 jellybean using a brand new phone. Anyone else have this problem?

Make sure you install super SU from the play store to update binaries. If you leave superuser it will force close and not work. Read TroyFoxxin guide again to make sure you did not miss a step. Should give you root. Just be careful what you go removing because there is no recovery so its easy to shoot yourself in the foot.

Upvote 0
Doesn't seem to be worming for me, it says installed successfully then root failed. I'm on 4.3 jellybean using a brand new phone. Anyone else have this problem?

follow the steps given. don't stop half way.
After its successfully rooted you HAVE to install SuperSU.
Or the root will only half work.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have another problem. Sometimes when I record videos, the camera randomly splits what's being recorded on the screen into two and it begins scrolling across the screen in a loop. If I keep recording long enough, what's being recorded, it will start to break up and sort of ripple apart. The glitch will still be in the video after it's done being recorded and saved to my gallery. It's kind of hard to explain what actually happens when the glitch happens while I'm recording. I don't really know why this is happening. I don't know if there is a problem with the physical camera, or the camera app. I don't know if I just happened to get a defective model. Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have another problem. Sometimes when I record videos, the camera randomly splits what's being recorded on the screen into two and it begins scrolling across the screen in a loop. If I keep recording long enough, what's being recorded, it will start to break up and sort of ripple apart. The glitch will still be in the video after it's done being recorded and saved to my gallery. It's kind of hard to explain what actually happens when the glitch happens while I'm recording. I don't really know why this is happening. I don't know if there is a problem with the physical camera, or the camera app. I don't know if I just happened to get a defective model. Any help would be appreciated.

well start off by looking at some 3rd party apps for recording video on the play store. see if that helps you. I have not seen this problem on mine. So i can say for sure. I know the default camera app is not to my liking so for steal shoots i use Camera Zoom FX. but for video recording i have not done much looking around for a good one. maybe someone can post one on here.

But try to hunt around. but maybe can try this one.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moblynx.cameraics&hl=en

havent tried it but looks like a standard camera app for ICS which might help.
I know ill be happy when someone unlock the boot loader and ports CM for this phone. lol

Upvote 0
Camera MX is another real good app with many more features than stock. Haven't seen the glitch myself but I don't use the video much. You mention that it does not happen all the time and that it seems to be related to how long you are recording. Can you give more specifics, like happens after 3 min etc. also does the camera app force close? Are you rooted? If so what have you removed?

Upvote 0
Camera MX is another real good app with many more features than stock. Haven't seen the glitch myself but I don't use the video much. You mention that it does not happen all the time and that it seems to be related to how long you are recording. Can you give more specifics, like happens after 3 min etc. also does the camera app force close? Are you rooted? If so what have you removed?

I forgot about Camera MX, only annoying thing is the buttons for flash are not usable during record. wish it was so if I i use it to walk around and come to a dark area turn on the flash to see without having to kill recording turn it on and record on and have to combine the videos and wait for rending later to make one video. lol

Upvote 0
I forgot about Camera MX, only annoying thing is the buttons for flash are not usable during record. wish it was so if I i use it to walk around and come to a dark area turn on the flash to see without having to kill recording turn it on and record on and have to combine the videos and wait for rending later to make one video. lol

Guess I never noticed that since I don't use the video too much at all, but yeah that would be annoying.

Upvote 0
I can't remember if it started happening before or after I rooted the phone. The glitch doesn't seem to happen depending on how long I record. It's just that when the glitch does start happening, and I let the glitch continue for awhile, it becomes even worse. I haven't checked to see if the glitch has happened with other camera apps, so I guess I'll try the ones you suggested. Although, I can't really ever expect a certain time for the glitch to happen, so I guess I'll just have to compare the different camera apps with the stock one and see which one shows the glitch first. Thanks for your suggestions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones