• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ok, my take on Iphone 4 and TB

irish

May 2, 2010
Well, I got my IPhone from Verizon a few days ago. I have been messing with it for the past few days non stop. I apologize in advance as I know this topic has been beat to death. This is my first Apple product so you all may know most of this.

My first impression of the IPhone was how smooth the system really is. I did find that the stock IPhone was indeed boring. I did a little tweaking and Jailbreaking with Greenpois0n. I downloaded Installous and Cydia. There is a crazy amount of customizing that can be done with the above. My IPhone looks identical to the TB, even down to the HTC/HD weather widgets and drop shade. I also downloaded Frostwire to my lap top for all the free songs for the ipod. I also downloaded "unrestricted 3g" from Cydia and can use Facetime and anything else with out WIFI!!

Iphone 4-
-Battery is AWESOME!!! I have beaten the death out of this thing ALL day long and I am still at 79% battery life!!!
-The screen is no comparing the screens, the IPhone is head and shoulders above the TB.
-I tried several times to get the IPhone to lock up or freeze. I ran several apps and the net at the same time. I could not even get it to slow down.
-The camera is super fast and takes great pictures.
-The ringer is much louder on the IPhone
-Contact pictures are crystal clear.
-Blue tooth works much smoother
-I find that I type much fewer mistakes while texting on the IPhone
The biggest draw back thus far is the fact that I have to put the phone into airplane mode during night hours as I use it for an alarm clock. I think I have found an app in Installous to fix this tho.

The TB is a tad quicker when using 3g instead of WIFI. Other than that, I find the IPhone to be much more pollished. No freezing, reboots or unexplained battery drains.

I am certainly not here to start a keyboard war. I just had so many issues with my TB's that I had to make the switch. I just wanted to pass along my thoughts to anyone that is a bit fed up with the TB as well.

Thanks, Irish

Funny_Pictures_88611.jpg

Reactions: damule6666
Upvote 0
Well, I got my IPhone from Verizon a few days ago. I have been messing with it for the past few days non stop. I apologize in advance as I know this topic has been beat to death. This is my first Apple product so you all may know most of this.

My first impression of the IPhone was how smooth the system really is. I did find that the stock IPhone was indeed boring. I did a little tweaking and Jailbreaking with Greenpois0n. I downloaded Installous and Cydia. There is a crazy amount of customizing that can be done with the above. My IPhone looks identical to the TB, even down to the HTC/HD weather widgets and drop shade. I also downloaded Frostwire to my lap top for all the free songs for the ipod. I also downloaded "unrestricted 3g" from Cydia and can use Facetime and anything else with out WIFI!!

Iphone 4-
-Battery is AWESOME!!! I have beaten the death out of this thing ALL day long and I am still at 79% battery life!!!
-The screen is no comparing the screens, the IPhone is head and shoulders above the TB.
-I tried several times to get the IPhone to lock up or freeze. I ran several apps and the net at the same time. I could not even get it to slow down.
-The camera is super fast and takes great pictures.
-The ringer is much louder on the IPhone
-Contact pictures are crystal clear.
-Blue tooth works much smoother
-I find that I type much fewer mistakes while texting on the IPhone
The biggest draw back thus far is the fact that I have to put the phone into airplane mode during night hours as I use it for an alarm clock. I think I have found an app in Installous to fix this tho.

The TB is a tad quicker when using 3g instead of WIFI. Other than that, I find the IPhone to be much more pollished. No freezing, reboots or unexplained battery drains.

I am certainly not here to start a keyboard war. I just had so many issues with my TB's that I had to make the switch. I just wanted to pass along my thoughts to anyone that is a bit fed up with the TB as well.

Thanks, Irish

That has been my experience with all Apple products. I would miss the talking gps and the big screen but I wold love a great battery. I hope that they figure out the issues with GB or will be looking at iPhone5.

Upvote 0
I am somewhat disappointed in the TB and HTC.

I know apple provides a great experience, but there are a couple of things that are unacceptable limitations on the iPhone.

1) it's too locked down. Apple MUST approve all software you can run on the iPhone. No way. I didn't spend all that money to have apple be the gatekeeper. Way too invasive. They would be much more successful if they allowed people to install their own apps. But they'd make less money and they've grown very accustomed to the control they have over their users. They better not try that with the Mac.

2) LTE. Apple, maybe rightly so, doesn't yet support LTE because of the power requirements. I wanted to try LTE. Still waiting for the supposed rollout. But when my year is up, and iPhone supports LTE, I will be seriously considering switching back to the iPhone.

Upvote 0
elements- Go to Installous and and download Navigon. It is awesome turn by turn navigation, dead on and has all the 3d POI during your route. Use the 3G Unrestricted to use it all the time.

dm33- I agree. Even tho many of the apps are not Apple approved in Cydia, they work perfectly. I have 5 themes I have downloaded that make the phone look totally different.

Upvote 0
elements- Go to Installous and and download Navigon. It is awesome turn by turn navigation, dead on and has all the 3d POI during your route. Use the 3G Unrestricted to use it all the time.

dm33- I agree. Even tho many of the apps are not Apple approved in Cydia, they work perfectly. I have 5 themes I have downloaded that make the phone look totally different.
Isnt those programs the ones that allows you to download apps for free on the apple app store?

Upvote 0
Just to be clear, the alternate markets for iDevices are not solely for piracy. They can host any apps that were not approved by apple for whatever reason (be it random Apple policy or significant alterations to universal device UI). And, while they can be used for pirating, it is an ignorant conclusion to say that anyone using these alternative markets is pirating software.

Just thought I would clear that up. FYI, I have an iPod touch (last gen), and it is happily jailbroken. I have never and would never pirate an app or much else for that matter.

-Nkk

Reactions: irish
Upvote 0
Just to be clear, the alternate markets for iDevices are not solely for piracy. They can host any apps that were not approved by apple for whatever reason (be it random Apple policy or significant alterations to universal device UI). And, while they can be used for pirating, it is an ignorant conclusion to say that anyone using these alternative markets is pirating software.

Just thought I would clear that up. FYI, I have an iPod touch (last gen), and it is happily jailbroken. I have never and would never pirate an app or much else for that matter.

-Nkk

Installous is a piracy app. I assumed the person I quoted was talking about Installous

Edit elements- Go to Installous and and download Navigon.

Proves my point

Edit2: I also never said they were pirating.

Edit3 if he says in his op that he pirates music I'm pretty sure you can figure out what Installous is uses for.

(I'm done)

Upvote 0

-Nkk
But they do allow pirated apps do they not? I guess this is for the mods to decide when they see it. :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones