• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Only FAT32 drives?

Trying to decide between an Acer and an Asus.

I read in a Best Buy review that the Acer can't read anything but FAT32- is this true?

See comment:
2: There is a usb 2.0 connection, this was good cause you are suppose to be able to access external hard drives or usb sitcks. BUT it will only reconize them if they are in fat32 format, unfortunally these days windows vista/7 only formats to ntfs, so u have to buy software to format the drive, oh and btw, fat32 wont hold files larger then 4gb at a time, so theres a delima.

Thanks all.

Umm, Vista and 7 can format FAT32. The issue is that there is a partition size limitation on FAT32 preventing you from using one partition in FAT32 on a 2 TB drive. Looking at an external on my Win 7 machine right now, a 60 GB partition will not format FAT32, it will allow exFAT though. A 4 GB partition will allow it to format in FAT or FAT32 as well as exFAT and NTFS.

You have two options, you can either root your Acer and you can download the hack which will allow your device to recognise NTFS hdds. Or you can use a free programme called easeus (google for the website) and it will format your hdd to FAT32 within seconds. This is what I used on the recommendation of another forum member, pzalesky.

One must go back to the roots of Android. It was originally developed for mobile phones. Android OS was tweaked later to run on tablets. Android Mobile phones & Tablets use SD cards formatted with FAT32. There was no need for NTFS compatibility...

With Root - The Iconia A500 Tablet reads NTFS. It is only a matter of time before compatibility with NTFS HD Drives will be integrated into the Android OS.

Cheers :)

p/s
I currently have a rooted A500 Tablet watching HD movies from NTFS formatted HD Drives. But other than watching movies I hardly have any other need to access files greater 4GB files on the tablet.

I like to keep all my android apps that I may want to use later on my 500 gig WD drive and it works great with root. and the fix from XDA.
I loaded a 720p video onto my drive and tried to play it and it lagged and the voice was off. So I loaded it to the TAB and it still was messed up. I used mobo player is there a better player for high def?

I like to keep all my android apps that I may want to use later on my 500 gig WD drive and it works great with root. and the fix from XDA.
I loaded a 720p video onto my drive and tried to play it and it lagged and the voice was off. So I loaded it to the TAB and it still was messed up. I used mobo player is there a better player for high def?

I've not been able to play any 720p movies i've put on the tab. Tried a few different players.

I have been using MoboPlayer to play all my Blu-ray rips at 720p via mini HDMI to my Samsung Smart TV. You have to install the ARM V7 VFPV3 software codecs, then long press any 720p MKV formatted Blu-ray rip movie from your HDD and select <software decoding> and it will play perfectly, no lag, skips or pixilation issues (btw... I am using a LaCie d2 2 TB External hard drive).

cheers :)

Cool tip thanks.
I will be installing that one.

I already have that codec so i just wasnt slecting the softare decoding.

Back
Top Bottom