• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Only in LA!

MoodyBlues

Compassion is cool!
When I heard reports of a man in a jetpack flying in the air space of LAX, I immediately said 'only in LA!'

Later, when I read reports from Air Traffic Control, guess what one of them said when an incoming pilot told him about the jetpack man? Yep! "Only in LA."

On KTLA's morning news yesterday, one anchor said, 'come on, Elon [Musk], we know it was you. Call us and come clean,' or words to that effect.

I love my hometown. :D

I follow aviation incidents and noticed this earlier today, but hadn't watched it until now.
That could have been catastrophic considering what bird strikes can do. Bet he/she is never caught until someone divulges years later. :rolleyes:

I follow aviation incidents and noticed this earlier today, but hadn't watched it until now.
That could have been catastrophic considering what bird strikes can do. Bet he/she is never caught until someone divulges years later. :rolleyes:
That will surely depend on how much effort is put into tracing them. After all, there aren't a lot of jetpacks out there, so the list of people with access to one cannot be that long. This isn't like some idiot flying a drone near an airport.

That will surely depend on how much effort is put into tracing them. After all, there aren't a lot of jetpacks out there, so the list of people with access to one cannot be that long. This isn't like some idiot flying a drone near an airport.

Sure, possibly. If that happened around Dublin Airport you would find them. L.A. ? Depends how much resource goes in to searching. Light general aviation planes get a slapped wrist if they stray or don't respond. Such a busy terminal airspace with many airfields, the attitude from air traffic control could be that's not gonna happen again and everyone's safe.
I haven't seen the news reports so don't know what the police are putting in to it.
Dash cams and CCTV may help though.

That will surely depend on how much effort is put into tracing them. After all, there aren't a lot of jetpacks out there, so the list of people with access to one cannot be that long.
Elsewhere? I'd agree. But as I was watching one news report on it, they were showing footage from Jetpack LA or Jetpack California [sorry, I'm too lazy to look it up right now]. It's apparently like a skydiving company, only with jetpacks.

Even so, their records [and other similar companies'] could shed light on Mr LAX Jetpack Idiot. :rolleyes:

Sorry to flog an already expiring horse, but this guy is the best at factual analysis and he just posted this:

In case anyone's wondering, but doesn't want to watch the video, it does NOT deny that this really happened, or anything like that. It just explains how air space around a major airport, specifically LAX, works, and which violations jetpack man may have committed.

The more I think about it, the more I think SOMEONE had to see him when he landed, and when he got into a car--perhaps taking time to remove the jetpack first. It's LAX, not some remote airport. Even with COVID, there had to be people around.

Apparently, he was flying several miles from the airport. Maybe surveillance cameras on businesses, or doorbell cameras on houses, caught his takeoff/landing/escape in a vehicle.

I know LAX really well. Its densely populated [with businesses and residences] surroundings would make being seen almost guaranteed. I think it's just a matter of time before we see video. Someone could have footage and not even know yet.

Dear God I hope those Gravity things never take off (unavoidable pun) for general use.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been quiet for awhile in LA @MoodyBlues. Is it the smoke?
Like bees? :thinking:

Here in Arcadia, it's always quiet. My mom was fond of saying, "it's so quiet...it's like a cemetery around here..."

As for LA proper, the bad air quality has definitely affected everyday life. Its basin shape traps smog, hence its storied bad air quality. People have been warned not to exercise, or even go, outside due to the smoke. It has subsided, but it's still bad.

My cousin and I--who will never see 60 again--have been reminiscing about the old days, the '60s, with its terrible smog. We haven't seen anything this bad in decades. Even so, it's not as bad as it could be: a few days ago, Portland [Oregon] had the worst air quality of any major city in the world.

Back
Top Bottom