• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTA update officially released 8/24/11...(MR-5 Update) Discussion thread

I'm taking this thing back tomorrow to BB. It has shut off at least 7 times today while it's asleep. They brought this Photon in from another store because they were out of stock. So when I return it to exchange it I expect I'll have to wait for a replacement. Crap! I like the phone but it's useless to me if it keeps turning itself off in sleep mode. I can't even turn it back on without a battery pull. And it has the very latest update.

Upvote 0
I'm taking this thing back tomorrow to BB. It has shut off at least 7 times today while it's asleep. They brought this Photon in from another store because they were out of stock. So when I return it to exchange it I expect I'll have to wait for a replacement. Crap! I like the phone but it's useless to me if it keeps turning itself off in sleep mode. I can't even turn it back on without a battery pull. And it has the very latest update.

I've heard a common cause of this problem is a slightly loose battery. Some have reported success in putting a piece of paper or thin card in between the back and the battery to help keep it pushed in, but I would take it back too if I were in your shoes. Hopefully BB will have the phone in stock and you can get one that works fine.

Upvote 0
As I was having the much-talked about shutdown/reboot issue (even after the update last week), I finally exchanged my Photon for another one at the Sprint store the day before yesterday, just a few days before the end of my 30-day exchange period.

So far I can report no problems, two days on, but I'm going to be keeping a close eye on it over the next couple of days.

Upvote 0
Darn it! No other Best Buy close to me seems to have it in stock. This is really getting on my nerves. I might have to have my local one order one for me to have it delivered to the store I guess. :( Meanwhile I have a phone that shuts down every time it sleeps. This is worse than my Epic was. The phone is not useable. I'm not happy. Is there any guarantee that if I get a different Photon that it will be free of this problem?

Upvote 0
Darn it! No other Best Buy close to me seems to have it in stock. This is really getting on my nerves. I might have to have my local one order one for me to have it delivered to the store I guess. :( Meanwhile I have a phone that shuts down every time it sleeps. This is worse than my Epic was. The phone is not useable. I'm not happy. Is there any guarantee that if I get a different Photon that it will be free of this problem?

And you hard reset already, correct?

Upvote 0
Yes I did a hard reset.

Thank God I found a BB with a Photon in stock. I was able to exchange it. I remained in the store until everything updated and it was sleeping in my pocket for at least 45 minutes. So far so good. I hope I've found the right MoPho for me. I love this phone.

I hope so. Man, I wouldn't even have hesitated if that was happening to me that consistently, especially after a hard reset and it kept looping.

Reactions: simcha
Upvote 0
Having replaced my first Photon due to the lockup issue exactly three days ago, I can now report that I haven't had a single reboot/freeze since my acquisition of the second Photon.

I've been doing everything in my power to *encourage* the phone to do it, but it so far has refused to have the problem.

Today is the last day of my 30-day return period, so I'm hoping I'll be OK from here on out (!)...

On the other hand, having been helped by a very understanding Sprint employee when I did the exchange, I feel fairly confident that should the problem arise with a vengeance in the near future with this second phone, I'll be in a position to replace the phone if need be (knock on wood - I hope not to!) because I did spring for the $8/month warranty, at least for the short term.

She basically told me that they'd make everything OK, regardless, so here's hoping...

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Having replaced my first Photon due to the lockup issue exactly three days ago, I can now report that I haven't had a single reboot/freeze since my acquisition of the second Photon.

I've been doing everything in my power to *encourage* the phone to do it, but it so far has refused to have the problem.

Today is the last day of my 30-day return period, so I'm hoping I'll be OK from here on out (!)...

On the other hand, having been helped by a very understanding Sprint employee when I did the exchange, I feel fairly confident that should the problem arise with a vengeance in the near future with this second phone, I'll be in a position to replace the phone if need be (knock on wood - I hope not to!) because I did spring for the $8/month warranty, at least for the short term.

She basically told me that they'd make everything OK, regardless, so here's hoping...

My experience having the Sprint warranty has been fantastic over the years. I've never, ever had to actually pay a deductible when it came to malfunctions that were manufacturer errors and not my own doing. And majority of the time, my phone was actually just replaced.

Nontheless, I'm hoping you'll be fine too. I am curious as to why some people were having that issue so consistently, while majority were not. My curiosity is only so that it can be pinpointed as to if it's hardware related, which it seems to be, and exactly what part of the hardware is bad that causes the phones to have the issue.

Upvote 0
I made it one day without the sleep of death. Yay!

I bought the BB 24 month service plan with the buy back program. It was quite reasonable and there is no deductible. Also when you pay for the entire 24 months up front you get a huge discount. They exchanged my MoPho yesterday without a problem. So far I'm fine with BB service. Also that I got the MoPho for $99 makes me feel like I got this killer phone for a steal. Even with the BB protection plan and buy back I spent less than I was planning to spend at the Sprint Store.

Upvote 0
I agree 100% you are always going to have problems with any product. Just because someone posts about an issue does not mean their product is a piece of junk. I personally love the Photon and the possibilities of this phone and the others to follow. Not happy with problem I am having right now, but I remeber when the EVO first came out, I had that phone also, and it had its share of problems to. People on this forum helped me solve alot of the issues I had with that phone as well.

The majority of the people posting here are posting to gripe, but there are also people posting here, wanting to help find a solution. Personally I would like to help find a solution, because this phone and it's possibilities will help me.

Now a little more on my issue with the phone locking up. I was reading on the Motorola website that this could be due to problems with a battery. I went to the sprint store yesterday to have the battery tested and my battery tested fine. The salesman again offered to replace my phone. After thinking this thru, I decided to get a replacement phone. Last week when I went in I did not get the replacement phone because I was hopeful that the problem would be cured with the OTA update. My opinion is that this issue is hardware related. I may be 100% wrong, but that is part of trobleshooting. The alternative would be for all these phone manufacturers to wait till they were 100% sure their phones were flawless, if that was the case we just now be getting the original EVO 4g.

So now that I have the new phone one of three things are going to happen. First the lockup problem has been cured, leading me to believe that this was a hardware problem, but that does not explain why others are having issue, unless they were getting older stock that also had hardware issues. Second the phone will still have the lockup problem, leading me to believe this issue is software related and another update can and will solve the problem. Or thrird the phone now gets some of the other issues reported on site, along with the lock up problem leaving me totally confused, HA!

Either way, I am here to help trouble shot these problems. If anyone knows of an app that can be installed to monitor the phone and save whats happening right before lockup, I think this could give valuable info.

By the way, did I say that I love this phone! I am typing this reply using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Currently I do not have the HD dock, its on order and cant wait till the LapDock is made avaliable for the Photon. The need to carry a laptop everywhere will be gone.

Since getting new phone on Monday I have not had any other problems with the phone going to sleep. It looks like for me this was a hardware issue. Even made thru most of Saturday. The last two saturdays for me have been constant lock ups. I am glad this problem is over! The mopho is a great phone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones