• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

fldude99

Android Expert
Oct 10, 2010
NW FL
Saw this in another forum:

A new update is being sent out. The changes for the update are:

* Build number: 8.6.5.9-20110816 * Wifi updated: v5.2.58 * GPS updated: v5.5.8 * MobileDock version updated: 0213 * Bluetooth v6.20 * Keyboard on/off switch when docked added. * Selectable cursor type option added (arrow or circle). * Mouse cursor trackpad movement reversed.

- from [INFO] Firmware update (FOTA) changelog - xda-developers

The OTA has been pushed in Taiwan and will pushed to other markets in the next few weeks. The published schedule is:

Taiwan 8/19 CN 8/19 US & WW 8/23 DE 8/25 TB 8/25 JP TBD

Just did the update. I don't really notice any difference
Are you kidding? Docked typing is faster, even in these forums. GPS no longer has annoying compass interference. Scrolling is smoother. Gallery app doesn't crash when viewing image details (info). That's what I've noticed so far...a decent improvement.

Note that I did a factory reset after updating to get a clean install, although the update worked fine prior.

Upvote 0
Just got both the updates, am finding the text input on forums such as this quicker, and have also noticed that the sroll bar that appears when you scroll in the browser has been changed to a slightly larger rectangular icon which appears to be more responsive that the one it replaced.

Very glad they gave the option of changing the cursor type back to an arrow as it's much more accurate.

Ben

Upvote 0
How do you change from the circle to the arrow & vice versa?
Go into the Settings, Language & Input, scroll down to Mouse and trackpad settings, you'll find the new "Touchpad pointer style" option and then select your setting.

I actually prefer the circle now that I'm used to it for most uses as it's easier to track visually but also lets me click without having to be as precise as the mouse pointer. While the mouse pointer is more precise for things like placing the cursor between text, I still prefer the circle for its simplicity. To each their own though...
:)

Upvote 0
blimey, think i can safely say the lag thing has gone in this latest update, whoop whoop! also guys, have any of you noticed that instead of the dock draining to 3% in the past, it now drains to 1%? nothing major, but wondered if others noticed this too on their dual battery widget?
To be honest, I never let my batteries drain that low...once I hit about 40-50% I top up again as li-ion batteries work best when topped up rather than depleted.

Reactions: Chaco
Upvote 0
bfksc is right

Li-Ion batteries dont like being under that charge level as they loose capacity.
I always cycle my batteries and keep them between 60-100%... only time they get under 50% is when i am unable to plug a charger.

heat is also a culprit on these batteries, so charging them when they are at like 70% or so doesnt heat them up as bad in the short time it takes, compared as 2 hrs plugged in to be charged from 30% for example...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones