• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Other countries and 2.0.1

Hey! Question for whoever may know this
I'm new with this so bare with me :p

I'm in Canada at the moment and I wish to purchase the unlocked milestone from a known mobile site

I looked up the reviews and saw that the keyboard was one of its main flaws but then I came across all these bugs (auto focus, bad cycles/etc, and low battery) that were solved by the 2.0.1 that came out a few days back

Will I be able to update to 2.0.1 or no because I'm in Canada?
Are the updates by country that the phone is available to, which means by carrier?
or is it by Motorola Asia/Euro/North America?

yes u can update to 2.0.1.. im in toronto with a milestone from hk..ive had the update for a while now

Settings - About Phone - System updates - there are 2 (or 3 when it says that the update is downloading) posible answers to this: 1 - Server is busy, try again later - means that the server is offline, 2 - Your system is up to date (if you have the 2.0 you should be happy cose the server is online and maybe is preparing the goodie 2.0.1... or you already have it).
I'm in Germany and waiting for a few weeks the update... till today I had the 1 answer becomed... but today I received the second answer (and heard a rumor that tomorrow the 2.0.1 will be availble for us too...)

How does the update thing work?
Like, why do some people have the update and others have to wait? I don't have to wait if I live in Toronto?

I have sort of the same question, i bought a milestone in in Italy non branded and I am wondering wether i will be able to get the 2.0.1 update, because i have read somewhere that non carrier phones are unable to update, because so far it says that i am still up to date (i use vodafone).

your phone's update depends on your phone's IMEI. its like the code for your phone. your unique IMEI allows u to connect your phone to the servers from the region that your phone originates from.

Depending on the speed of Motorola's regional offices, an update may or may not be available to you.

TO check, go to home->settings-> about phone->system updates

are the updates availiable for download over 3G or only wifi ? and ive read in place that the update shud already be availiable in italy...

This site may come in handy for those that can't yet update to 2.01.

motoUPDATE

I bought my phone in Germany and the update option on my phone says it can't connect to the update server (WiFi or any other connection). I installed this update program and in minutes I was running Android 2.0.1 on my Motorola Milestone.

I should have said this earlier but just a day ago i figured out that if you have a windows machine( not mac as the program does not work in os x, as it happened to me), you can most likely update your Milestone no matter where you are in europe. If you go to motorola's website and navigate to the milestone page -> then owner support -> then update my software -> oyou should get to a page where you download the official motorola updater. Plug in your milestone and check for update. It worked for me even though the OTA said i was up to date. Luckily i hand a friend near by to lend me his PC.
Oh, and heres the direct link to the page :
Motorola - Support - Software Update

If this for some reason may not work you may want to try your own region motorola webpage and go through there. Good luck to anyone who tries this and hope it helps.

OP, the Canadian Milestone is coming out with 2.0.1 pre-installed.

Check the Mobile Syrup review for confirmation.

Back
Top Bottom