• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Out of ideas with my 4G problem

thefowlerfam

Dec 31, 2011
Holiday, FL
I put a post up awhile ago about some issues I'm having with the 4G on my Indulge. Well I'm about out of ideas. 1st let me tell you how my phone is set up.

I have the phone rooted with basix 1.0 & also electric sheep. The cpu is overclocked to 1.2ghz.
Now the problem. It started about 4 months ago. The 4G would stop & Id get a 3G icon. At 1st all I had to do was use the airplane mode and it would come back on. I used anycut and can turn the 4G on/off as well. Now I hardly ever have 4G. No matter how many times I use the airplane mode, reboot the phone, & about everything else you can think of. I've updated the PRL to 3032 and have done everything they said to do in customer svc.

I know its time for a new phone (trust me I can't wait lol) but my $$ situation won't allow that yet (I mean my wife lol) so I'm stuck with the Indulge for now. The phone itself is working great besides the 4G. I even scored a 4056 on AnTuTu benchmark since I rooted, which is a lot better than before. But I use the data on the phone the most and going from 4-5mbits down & 2-3mbits up to 200-300kbits down & 300kbit up really sucks.
I'm located in Holiday, FL right around Tampa Bay. I'm well in Metros 4G coverage. If anyone is having this issue or something like it, or know of any problems in this area please any help is well appreciated. I might have said this already, I don't think its the radio because I can still get 4G. When I'm trying to get it to work I can't, but every now & then ill pick up the phone and it has 4G. Sometimes its on for a few hrs and sometimes just for a min or 2...
Once again thanks for the help & keep up this great site...Jeremy

My baseband says LTE:SCH-R910.ED15....the phone will still get 4G sometimes, but never when I need it. Ill wake up in the morning and it will have 4G. The sales guy at the store by me said that the speeds are just to low and that's why my phone is showing the 3G icon. That's bs cause I did a speed test and on 4G I got 4668 Kbps down and 2867 Kbps up...on 3G I only got 341 Kbps down and 81kbs up. Thats a huge difference. I'm really confused on the whole situation because the 4G works, just only when it wants to. Is it the phone or service? I'm not the type to complain, but I've been dealing with this for 3 months now, I've been told I was a idiot from their *611 customer svc (he got mad because I was doing his job for the most part) and I'm paying for 4G. I'm sorry for complaining, I'm just frustrated. Anyways maybe I can get a discount for the last few months or even better I can get 4G working. I want to say thanks for the help and if anyone has anymore ideas please by all means post them...thanks again

Upvote 0
Have you tried monitoring and switching your 4G using the Anycut-revealable menu LTE Functionality Test?
Also, does LTE MODE (**583385##) report your Nw as GLOBAL when there is no 4G on the device?
Also, try downloading the app LTE On/Off from the market and switch the radios from therein.
Other than that, I don't know what to tell you, besides trying a full nandroid backup, and try re-flashing Basix and ES, and let it go virgo for a day or two to observe if the behavior is the same. If it is, then just restore your nandroid backup and you'll know it's not some random software failure...
Also, it could still be hardware even if you see the 4G icon sometimes. Maybe something is loose, or was overheated, and fails after a certain time, or when the phone reaches a certain temperature. This may sound silly, but when you DO get 4G, try shaking the phone really hard while doing a few speedtests, and see if it kicks out of the 4G network. If it does, you'll know something is loose on the board! :D

Reactions: thefowlerfam
Upvote 0
I was wondering if something could come loose. Today I put the phone in LTE only mode. It didn't work. I was not getting any data at all. It was getting 4G every now & then, but the last 2 days nothing. I did a factory reset, but the person I bought the phone from never back up the MetroPcs factory settings. So when I reset it, it was just a blank screen. Is there a way to get the stock settings & apps back? I did reflash basix & electric sheep. On a good note my boot animations are working now :)...they haven't worked since I got the phone (the animations from rom toolbox). The 4G really wouldn't bother me except right before it started to act up I paid for Netflix & crunchyroll. Without 4G I can't watch videos on those apps. YouTube even has a hard time witHout 4G. Maybe I can get a discount on my bill this month since I paid for 4G and didn't get it. Man I can't wait to get a new phone. I was thinking about the LG Motion because of the dual core processor, ICS, & $149 price tag, but I really like the Connect's 4" Nova screen, but it has GB. Maybe there will be a update for it...oh well I can't get the new phone for a few more months so I'll just keep messing with this 1. Hopefully I can get it working. As always thanks for everyone's help, & I'm sorry for going on & on on this post. I'm just getting frustrated with this phone...

Upvote 0
My 4g has stopped working completely with my indulge. I am awaiting the GS3 so i have stopped trying to fix it. When it first happened a few weeks ago, i couldnt get it to work (LTE Unknown). I flashed a year old backup, Removed and cleaned the UICC card and slot, reinserted the card and 4g was back. I threw Basix and ES on there and it remained working. After about a week, i updated my PRL twice (3031 &3032) and 4g worked for maybe 1 day. It is now back to LTE Unknown and i just gave up.

Metro customer service will probably not help you at all. Located in these forums you should be able to find the updated modems (since yours are not updated). You can update them, load PRL 3030 and give that a whirl. It is at least worth a shot for ya.

Reactions: thefowlerfam
Upvote 0
My PRL is 3032. Now I'm having a new problem. Now I have no data at all. The baseband is still there but the mobile network state will say connecting until I toggle the airplane mode and then it just says disconnected. It was working fine (3G) all day. Then I tried to make a call and it didn't work. I called Metro and they reprogrammed the phone. Now I can call but no data. Is there anything in the hidden menus that could disconnect the data? I know of the main ones. That's the only thing I can think of. I was going through those but I don't remember changing anything, at least not on purpose. Please help...I use my data at night for netflix on my Xbox. I'll be lost without my WWII shows...lol

Upvote 0
My PRL is 3032. Now I'm having a new problem. Now I have no data at all. The baseband is still there but the mobile network state will say connecting until I toggle the airplane mode and then it just says disconnected. It was working fine (3G) all day. Then I tried to make a call and it didn't work. I called Metro and they reprogrammed the phone. Now I can call but no data. Is there anything in the hidden menus that could disconnect the data? I know of the main ones. That's the only thing I can think of. I was going through those but I don't remember changing anything, at least not on purpose. Please help...I use my data at night for netflix on my Xbox. I'll be lost without my WWII shows...lol

Sorry for the wait between my posts. When i reboot my phone, there is no data connection. I toggle Airplane mode on, wait 20 seconds and then turn it off. Gets me my 1x back.

Btw, because of your post i went to my year old backup again and got my 4g back. Have you tried that and the PRL steps i mentioned?

Upvote 0
Sorry I have been real busy and havent been on. Yeah I tried different prls and nothing. I odin the phone back to stock and updated the radios from EE07 & ED15 to EG06 & EF23 (thanks to tiede & k0nane) still nothing. I rooted it again to basix nothing. I took it into a Metropcs svc center & thry had no idea whats wrong with it, but it turns out that my warranty is good until Dec so they ordered me a new phone. If the indulge is discontinued does anyonr know what phone they replace it with? Just wondering so I can get everything ready to root the new phone, but ill be good with another indulge...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones