• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Peter Alfonso's "FRG83D from FRG22D" OTA update

A few days ago I posted a "Quick question about FRG83D" in relation to the OTA updates that went out last week from Motorola. Luckily, ktatos helped me out and referred me to continuously check Peter Alfonso's website (http://www.peteralfonso.com/p/downloads.html) and install his rooted version of FRG83D when it comes out. Unfortunately, the only FRG83-type update available on his website at the moment is FRG83, not FRG83D. However, if you scroll down all the way to the bottom on that link to the downloads section of his site that I posted above, you'll see that he has a download for the "FRG83D from FRG22D" OTA update. So, I'm curious to know what would happen if I rooted back to FRG22D on his site, then installed that update on his website. But, I don't even know if this is possible. I'm a bit of a noob, so I might be completely off target and have no idea what I'm talking about, but I figured I'd just ask the question.

Thanks!

in looking back at your other thread, I think the good advice from Kratos is there. why even fuss with the unroot then root thing? First, FRG83D is pretty weak update and many notice few to any benefits. I personally blocked it as I dont care. As Kratos said, you could install a ROM that is based on 2.2.1 and get FRG83D. or, just wait until Pete does a deodexed or odexed rooted FRG83D - IF he even does as again, it is such a weak/lame update, he might not even fuss with it given Gingerbread is right around the corner and might be able to be ported to the D1's - and if so, who cares about FRG83D as any changes in that would be in GB.

point is, your not missing out with not having FRG83D and bigger better things might be right around the corner and from what it sounds, you might not get any bang for the buck so why send the time effort for such a weak update with little to no benefits.

Reactions: connor11493
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones