• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone constantly restarting

horsetime

Lurker
Hello! I have an unrooted Optimus V phone that I was using Go Launcher on as well as the usual apps.

Yesterday it started restarting itself every 5 minutes.

So far I have tried the following with no results:

Removing the battery and putting it back in, leaving the phone off all night on the charger, removing my task killer app, removing the SD card, putting the SD card back in, removing other apps.

This morning I did a hard reset using the option in the settings menu and I have not added anything back on and it is still restarting itself.

Help! Is my phone toast?

Could be a corrupt SD card causing the problem. Take the SD card out and put it into a computer. Transfer data from sd card to computer.
Download "BootIt" (Google it, my memory is 50). Make double sure you selected the SD card. Select yes to all prompts.
Put in phone and select to erase the sd card. Reboot the phone.
If it solved the problem transfer data back to sd card.
If not, try a new one and see if that works.

Update: I called Virgin Mobile who told me that if I had already taken the battery out and put it back in to just buy a new phone which they happened to offer for $24.99. No help fixing it.

I have tried booting it without the SD card but it doesn't seem to matter. I booted in safe mode and it immedietly restarted itself.

Update: picked up an Optimus S from a relative owned by someone who passed away. Called Virgin Mobile and switched my plan from the V over to the S. S is now turning off and on constantly as well. I tried a factory reset on it and now the android screen is flashing over and over and that's it.

Alrighty, I went to radioshack who redirected me to the Sprint store since VM and Sprint are related. Turns out the spring store had 15 people in line before the store opened and has seen almost 100 people. A new sprint tower was activated down the street from me and every single person who owns a sprint phone or a VM phone had their phone restart over and over at exactly the same time last night. Still doing it right now.

Phone will work outside of that tower area but not inside it right now.

However, since VM told me my phone was broken I now have a replacement phone which is costing me an extra $10 a month since I was grandfathered in. Which also happens to be stuck on the android load screen.

Fantastic.

But wait, there's more!

So I go do some shopping, phone works, go home, phone doesn't work. Decide I like my V more then the slider anyway and call VM explain tower issue. I get routed to tech support several times who says there is no tower issue on their end it's my phone. So because I am under warrenty they are sending me a brand new phone.

For the used replacement I got for free from a relative.

So I go back to Sprint store who shows me on a map the issue and stand in line behind 12 other people with the same problem. Sprint store looks at Slider phone which has taken a swan dive and is stuck in the android load screen. Does a hard rebot and na da. Apparently it couldn't handle the constant off and on and ended its life. Using their computer I switch my phone service back over to my Optimus V and make some text messages from the store.

So now I have one Optimus V which does not work in my home, one used Optimus S that killed itself, and one brand new Optimus S on the way, as well as an extra $10 a month bill.

When the tower issue is fixed I may call back VM and see if I can force them to reduce my bill back to $25. If not I'm going to sell the brand new phone and use it to upgrade.

It's amazing just how ignorant VM really is. They need us to train their techs.

My LG Optimus V is also constantly rebooting. I don't know what the problem is but the amount of up time it can stay on is random. It can reboot as fast as a few seconds after another reboot or it can last 5 or so minutes sometimes an hour. But if I have it on airplane mode (service disabled) it can stay on forever. So I think VM is bs'n me when they tell me there should be nothing going on with the network that would cause my phone to do that. Especially when one of my friends said a lot of people he knows on the Sprint network are experiencing what I am at the same time. They said my tower wouldn't be finished updating til the 28th. WTH?

I seem to be having the same issue. Since a few minutes after I made a call this morning, my Optimus V has been in a continuous reboot cycle. It never boots, so I can't do anything useful like put the phone in airplane mode. Just flashes "Hello" and "Virgin", then a few seconds later, starts again.

I don't really want to wipe my phone, and it doesn't seem like it will help anyway. I tried pulling the microSD card, no help there.

I can boot into Android system recovery <3e> screen (by holding Vol+, Back, and Power buttons to power on phone), but I'm not sure what to do next:

reboot system now - no help, continuous reboots
apply update from sdcard - no image found in sdcard
wipe data/factory reset - haven't tried
wipe cache partition - haven't tried

I also have VM. Any suggestions?

Try pulling battery and holding power button for 30 sec.
If that doesn't work... It's factory reset time.

Hint: First chance you get download "App Tyrant" from the PlayStore.
It saves all apps to the sd card in there apk form.
If you ever have another problem like the one described, all you have to do after factory reset is to go to folder on sd card and copy/paste contents to root of sd card then reinstall each one by tapping them and selecting the install option.

No help pulling battery and holding power button. Factory reset did the trick, though it did restart itself once after I sent a text. Only app I had installed at that point was Lookout (Mobile Security). Any known issues with Lookout?

Before I had this issue, the last app I had installed was xfinity tv. It had also started acting weird after I paired it with my new car (Subaru). Still wondering what actually caused the problem.

Get a good cache cleaner and keep all your caches cleaned including internet caches and web browser caches. This will keep your RAM from getting to low, which is the cause for a lot of proplems.
Another cause can also be the SD card. If it gets a piece of corrupted data on it it can play havock with the phone as well. Transfer data onto computer then reformat the SD card to FAT32 or put back into phone and select to erase. Then one by one move data back to SD card putting the phone thru it's paces before putting the next bit of data back onto it.

Back
Top Bottom