• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone Snobbery?

Windroid

Android Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2023
This thread was inspired by the following comment:

mainly its because of the people who have apple products are so much more snooty. take my friends who have apple products. they always made fun of my android devices in the past. but now that Samsung has caught up to the innovations apple was making, i can now brag to them saying can your phone do this? can your phone fold and unfold like mine?
Just how common is that kind of phone snobbery? Do you run into people who think less of you, make fun of you, or something, over your phone?

To be honest, I don't see it any more. It was just back in the day, when everyone went fruity, if you know what I mean. It started as status symbols. It started when only att was offering the crapple. As soon as it became more avaliable, I think the status symbol went away. And then Android caught up to the fruit in innovations and then there was no longer this envy that fruit owners used to push.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
To be honest, I don't see it any more.
Oh. It's alive and well for kids in school, peer pressure is a hard thing. My nephews and niece started with Android but 'had' to switch because they weren't cool. They were actually excluded from group chats because they had Android so missed out on activities/gatherings/plans etc. One of the boys prefers Android and wants to go back but doesn't want to deal with the crap he'll get from his friends. It's really awful. We don't live in a wealthy snooty area, normal suburbs, it's all over though.

Upvote 0
Oh. It's alive and well for kids in school, peer pressure is a hard thing. My nephews and niece started with Android but 'had' to switch because they weren't cool. They were actually excluded from group chats because they had Android so missed out on activities/gatherings/plans etc. One of the boys prefers Android and wants to go back but doesn't want to deal with the crap he'll get from his friends. It's really awful. We don't live in a wealthy snooty area, normal suburbs, it's all over though.
Yeah I'm glad that I did not have phones when I was in school......that sucks.

Upvote 0
My youngest two children were in school when cellphones became a thing for kids. But it was early times and just having a phone was the bragging factor. I set them both up with Androids and they were super happy. They both migrated to apple products as adults as well as their older siblings which never owned an Android phone. They love their phones and wouldn't dream of jumping ship. I feel the same about my Android phone.

Upvote 0
I've had people absolutely refuse to talk to me because I was a 'green bubble text' on their iPhone. I decided it weren't worth my time to bother after that. If their stupid text colours are so damned important they're not someone I want to associate with in the first place.

Even today when you'd expect things to have changed since phones all look and act alike, the stigma against Android in the U.S. being for 'poor people' still exists. It doesn't matter if you have the most expensive Z Fold model, as long as you show up as a 'green text' on their iMessage they believe you're some poor sap who bought their phone for $49 at K-Mart.

Upvote 0
I've had people absolutely refuse to talk to me because I was a 'green bubble text' on their iPhone. I decided it weren't worth my time to bother after that. If their stupid text colours are so damned important they're not someone I want to associate with in the first place.

Even today when you'd expect things to have changed since phones all look and act alike, the stigma against Android in the U.S. being for 'poor people' still exists. It doesn't matter if you have the most expensive Z Fold model, as long as you show up as a 'green text' on their iMessage they believe you're some poor sap who bought their phone for $49 at K-Mart.
That definitely can't happen around these parts, because there's no iMessage. ...and everyone is green bubble text on iOS. :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
This had happened to me back in 2013, shortly after I had gotten a Samsung SIII to replace my iPhone 4 (after the ugly of iOS 7)

I had to actually look it up since during my time with iOS I wasn't aware of blue/green at all or didn't pay any mind to it, so long as my messages sent or got responses I was golden. After being labeled a 'green text' twice by two different people I googled it only to find out that it's a very popular stigma against Android (as well as at the time, BlackBerry and WebOS). Apparently iOS users get pretty miffed when their group chats/iMessage 'toys' (stickers, reactions, Apple Pay, etc) get broken the instant someone's sending a message to them as SMS over iMessage. However if they were smart enough, they'd simply switch off SMS fallback in their settings and their issue would be gone.

It was well known enough that Samsung actually created a sticker pack to use against them for a while.

Upvote 0
Went on a ride once with my son and his army buddy, stopped at a joint for lunch .. Not sure why the phone topic came up between them, but the kid mentioned green texts and his disdain for them before quickly (and awkardly} remembering that I was sitting there. I pulled out my phone and told him what I was doing, changing his texts to pink because iphones are gay AF. And I can do that, because I don't have an iphone.

Upvote 0
I normally disapprove of such language. It's childish, it says more about the speaker than it does about the listener! However, there is a saying: "Turnabout is fair play". If the kid was just being an immature elitist (and that's an if, I don't know the nature of his disdain for green texts), then I can't say I blame you.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
It moved from fruit phones to electric vehicles

:D
Car snobbery has a much longer provenance than phone snobbery, and will probably be around long after phone snobbery has been forgotten.

(Though TBH where I am there's no snobbery about EVs either. They've gone from curiosity to fairly common, and I suspect most non-nerds don't even notice them.)

Upvote 0
Does anyone remember when 'gay' meant happy instead of homosexual? I hate getting old. I also remember when the rainbow was just that--a beautiful weather phenomenon not a promotion of homosexuality.
That's what happens when you live in a society obsessed with sex! Any words that would have a romantic/sexual meaning: that becomes the primary meaning. You don't have to be old to be annoyed at that.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
My kids all rock iPhones. The wife and I have always had Androids. There has never been any snobbery or bragging up on features between us. My buddies all are Android fans so the subject never comes up. Maybe it's a younger generation that exhibits phone snobbery. I never see it beyond jokes and jests here on AF and I don't consider that snobbery.

Upvote 0
Does anyone remember when 'gay' meant happy instead of homosexual? I hate getting old. I also remember when the rainbow was just that--a beautiful weather phenomenon not a promotion of homosexuality.
Not really, no. And I'm 60 years old tomorrow. :thumbsupdroid: But apparently 'gay' meaning homosexual started in the 1960s, and is mentioned in the lyrics of the 1976 Rod Stewart song, The Killing of Georgie (parts 1 & 2). For me the only thing that I think of for 'gay' meaning happy, is in the lyrics of the 1938 song, I'll Be Seeing You. That was made famous by Liberace. As for gay pride rainbow flags, I've not seen too many of them myself.

I remember when "woke" or "Karen" had different usages to what they do today. And I'm still not totally clear about their current meanings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones