• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone won't power on, but it can charge.

Hello fellow XDA members.

I've been with my beloved Nexus S for a little over a year now. We've been through thick and thin. Until now.

My power button is broken (along with a lot of other nexus s users that I found out by research), but I was able to bare with it by maneuvers with my software (volume rocker wake). It would act as if it's being pressed down constantly, so it would automatically power on when a battery is inserted.

However, this situation is different. I've done research on this one too, and it also seems common. While using my phone as normal (around 20% battery), the screen just turned black and the phone crashed. Seemed like a common kernel issue. So I battery pull, and the phone won't power on.The charging animation still appears if I connect it to a charger or USB.

As I woke up for work the next morning, I brought my phone along with me. It turned on at a random time while it was in my hand, as it would always do if I were to insert a battery. The phone worked for about a week until the same problem happened again.

I've tried rebooting it with ADB, but it's not recognized. I've tried inserting the battery while it's connected to the charger. Nope. Simultaneous button presses, pounding the power button, you name it. I've also tried a different battery, so I know it's not a battery issue.

I have suspicion it has to due with Jellybean, as several other users experience a problem similar to mine, but much more severe (no charging animation).

I'm running Pacman Rom v 18 with Marmite 7.0 Kernel.

Please, for the love of the Lord, can someone please aid me in finding a solution or inform me of a known one?

Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones