• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Pics] Triumph Anatomy (gut shots)

thangfish

Android Expert
Here are some pictures of the inside of the Triumph.

Speakers are just sort of pressed into some rubber pockets. They have contacts that connect to pads on the board, that screws down over them.
speakers1024x768.jpg

Speaker Detail:
speakerdetail1024x768.jpg

speakerdetailfront1024x768.jpg

This is the USB and hdmi ports. The round, gold object is the main Mic. Also you can see the 4 pads (2 per side) that connect to the speaker contacts when the board is installed and screwed down.

speakpadsusbhdmi1024x768.jpg

Detail of ports and Mic:
usbhdmi1024x768.jpg

This set we'll look at the antennas.

Cell Antenna. You can see the external antenna port in the center. It it's accessible by removing the rubber plug below the battery door.
cellantennaextjack1024x768.jpg

Antenna removed, showing the 3 spring connectors that make contact on the other side of the plastic housing.
cellantennaremoved1024x768.jpg

Now leaving the bottom of the phone, the GPS and Bluetooth antennas are located at the top, on the inside of the rear cover.
GPS on left, BT on right. You can see the gold pads that make connection with the board when the back cover is installed.
toprrcovergpsantbtant1024x768.jpg

Continuing with the top rear, we'll look at the board.
The first 2 connectors at the extreme left are the BT antenna contacts. Continuing left to right... round gold colored thing is the noise cancelling mic that picks up through the tiny hole on the back of the case. Silver rectangle is the headphone jack, the little yellow chip is the led flash, then the camera. The horizontally oriented thing mounted in the hole in the board is the vibration motor, and lastly the 2 offset contacts are the GPS antenna connectors. I believe the round port below them to be an external GPS antenna port. There is no access to this short of drilling a hole in the case.
btconnncmichpjackflashcameragpsconn1024x768.jpg

On the reverse of this part of the board you can see the front facing camera, vibration motor and the power switch.
ffcvibmotorpowswitch1024x768.jpg

Speaking of switches... here's the volume up/down switches. The board it's kinda c-shaped, around the battery.
volume1024x768.jpg

The board has 3 ribbon cables connecting it.
The one at the top, near the camera I didn't remove and just folded the board back. The 2 on the left, near the battery MUST be removed. The connector has tiny black strips that flip up to unlock the cable.
ribbonconnunlatched1024x768.jpg

Detail of ribbon connectors locked:
ribbonconnlatched1024x768.jpg

more gratuitous nakedness...

Naked boot, holding battery with fore finger.
bootupbare1024x768.jpg

Why don't I have a signal? :D
cellantennaremovedsignal1024x768.jpg

Here's the top part of board, with plastic bezel installed. You can see the back of the screen lit up through the vib motor.
vibmotorpoweron1024x768.jpg

To take the phone apart, you start by removing 2 torx screws behind the battery door with a T5 driver. You then have to carefully pry apart the case with a plastic tool. Next, there are 5 slightly longer screws to remove, before carefully unlatching the 2 ribbon connectors to disconnect the ribbon cables. There will still be 1 ribbon cable connected from the back, at the top. Be careful and just fold the board upwards.

While prying the case apart, a gold connector fell out. Took me a few minutes to discover where it went. It electrically connected the battery door for shielding purposes. Here's a couple shots of where it goes. One of the first 2 screws actually goes through it.
loosebrassthingyplacement1024x768.jpg

Here's all you see of it, under the battery door, next to SD card slot.
loosebrassbattcovconnplacementoutside1024x768.jpg

Ok, that's all folks. Thought it may interest some of you.

To take the phone apart, you start by removing 2 torx screws behind the battery door with a T5 driver. You then have to carefully pry apart the case with a plastic tool. Next, there are 5 slightly longer screws to remove, before carefully unlatching the 2 ribbon connectors to disconnect the ribbon cables. There will still be 1 ribbon cable connected from the back, at the top. Be careful and just fold the board upwards.

While prying the case apart, a gold connector fell out. Took me a few minutes to discover where it went. It electrically connected the battery door for shielding purposes. Here's a couple shots of where it goes. One of the first 2 screws actually goes through it.
loosebrassthingyplacement1024x768.jpg

Here's all you see of it, under the battery door, next to SD card slot.
loosebrassbattcovconnplacementoutside1024x768.jpg

Ok, that's all folks. Thought it may interest some of you.

Thank you Thangfish fort the pics. Does this mean your done with the triumph?

This set we'll look at the antennas.

Cell Antenna. You can see the external antenna port in the center. It it's accessible by removing the rubber plug below the battery door.
cellantennaextjack1024x768.jpg

Antenna removed, showing the 3 spring connectors that make contact on the other side of the plastic housing.
cellantennaremoved1024x768.jpg

Now leaving the bottom of the phone, the GPS and Bluetooth antennas are located at the top, on the inside of the rear cover.
GPS on left, BT on right. You can see the gold pads that make connection with the board when the back cover is installed.
toprrcovergpsantbtant1024x768.jpg

Can I take out the back cover rubber plug and plug in an external antenna to get better cell/data reception? If so, any recommendations? I google'd "external cell phone antenna" and it returned a confusing mix of antennas.

Can I take out the back cover rubber plug and plug in an external antenna to get better cell/data reception? If so, any recommendations? I google'd "external cell phone antenna" and it returned a confusing mix of antennas.

Short answer is yes, and yes there are a bunch of antennas out there... main thing is to get the right plug to fit the jack.

This was very cool. Thanks for posting these.

Any guesses about the coaxial connector next to the SD card?

Not sure, but we can identify the cell antenna, and GPS and Bluetooth antennas, so by the process of elimination... Wi-Fi? :D Just a shot in the dark. It would be cool if someone could try it out.

edit:
You know, thinking more about it... There are actually 2 separate circuit traces on the plastic thingy that I id'd as the cell antenna. One of those could be Wi-Fi. I wish I would have thought to test that. Something for next time...

This thread is just bad azz and had to thank especially when MT is my next and last phone regardless of what comes out.Also forementioned equates my only thanks unless another thread of equivalent stature comes along and it will not

Thanks for the pics thangfish, did you by any chance look at the ear speaker. Was thinking bout replacing mine or swapping them if its easy. The bottom speakers look easy enough. Mine is starting to rattle a bit at higher volumes, like it's about to blow soon, not shake rattle. I have my dev phone to scavenge from. But I don't see it in the pics, but I may have missed it. Just figured I'd ask.

No I don't remember seeing it. Went back to the original files and I only found one picture of that area.
I think I didn't disassemble any further for fear of breaking it. I assume it would be behind HERE:

eararea1024x768.jpg

I just so happen to have my old digitizer and frame still laying on my desk from unsuccessfully trying to fix my phone. My loss, your gain!

IMG_20130712_225920.jpg

IMG_20130712_225914.jpg

IMG_20130712_231953.jpg

IMG_20130712_231948%20%281%29.jpg

lmk if they are showing up. Sometimes I have issues linking to pics on my dropbox.

I just so happen to have my old digitizer and frame still laying on my desk from unsuccessfully trying to fix my phone. My loss, your gain!

IMG_20130712_225920.jpg

lmk if they are showing up. Sometimes I have issues linking to pics on my dropbox.
Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to see ... in more ways than one. :D

So, all I gotta do is pop off the front and swap the speakers, doesn't even look like I'll have to solder.

Short answer is yes, and yes there are a bunch of antennas out there... main thing is to get the right plug to fit the jack.

First, thank you for posting pics and instructions of your MT surgery :-). I was wondering if you have heard of ifixit.com? iFixit: The free repair manual They advocate repairing electronics before disposing of them in land fills and want all the break down pics and instructions of phones and tablets they can get-I'm sure they would love for you to upload the info you have in this thread.
Second, do you know what that type external antenna connector is called? I see those on many cell phones, and wasn't even sure if they were antenna connectors, but always suspected they were-knowing the actual name of them would be a start to rigging up something to get better reception where I live, as Sprint reception is bad around my house, but gets better fairly quickly after I leave. And VM is till the best price in my area.

First, thank you for posting pics and instructions of your MT surgery :-). I was wondering if you have heard of ifixit.com? iFixit: The free repair manual They advocate repairing electronics before disposing of them in land fills and want all the break down pics and instructions of phones and tablets they can get-I'm sure they would love for you to upload the info you have in this thread.
Second, do you know what that type external antenna connector is called? I see those on many cell phones, and wasn't even sure if they were antenna connectors, but always suspected they were-knowing the actual name of them would be a start to rigging up something to get better reception where I live, as Sprint reception is bad around my house, but gets better fairly quickly after I leave. And VM is till the best price in my area.
It's either a u.fl or m.fl connector, I think u.fl. BUT, I am pretty sure it is a factory service port as it is the female side. I opened up an old laptop and pulled the cord to look, and it is the same connector as the antenna not the wifi card. The card has a circle with a pin and the antenna has a circle with a hole for the pin. The phone has the circle with the hole. I would bet they have a rig that they test it on before they ship or assemble. I was gonna test some old laptop wifi antennas until I found that.

So, to sum up, these are not for antennas, and if they happen to be, you would have to get/make some custom cables to find out.

Hope this clears things up.

Back
Top Bottom