• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PMU Issues?

I'm not worried. The phone has been around for a few months now which leads to me to believe that the phone has been in testing for quite a while. I'm sure that any issues like this have been already found. I highly doubt that Motorola would demo their flagship phone with a unit that has the possibility to overheat and fail (at CES). Also, it would be very dangerous of them to have demo units that would have this issue as well. I didn't see a single hands-on video that claimed the phones were overheating and whatnot. And the demo phones are probably under heavy usage.

I bet that they have a fix at hand, and the release has been pushed to fix the supply. Remember at&t once said that the phone was to be released in December/January? The "testers" may have some of the faulty units; they don't need "perfect" units to test other functionality.

I'm not worried. The phone has been around for a few months now which leads to me to believe that the phone has been in testing for quite a while. I'm sure that any issues like this have been already found. I highly doubt that Motorola would demo their flagship phone with a unit that has the possibility to overheat and fail (at CES). Also, it would be very dangerous of them to have demo units that would have this issue as well. I didn't see a single hands-on video that claimed the phones were overheating and whatnot. And the demo phones are probably under heavy usage.

I bet that they have a fix at hand, and the release has been pushed to fix the supply. Remember at&t once said that the phone was to be released in December/January? The "testers" may have some of the faulty units; they don't need "perfect" units to test other functionality.

Been lurking for awhile, and I have to say, your post makes a lot of sense. Seems like an issue this big probably would have been discovered a long time ago, not just a few weeks before release. I hope these sources got old test units, as I really need a new phone and want the Atrix to be the one.

I tend to think that this is not as big an issue as it sounds. I agree that this phone has been going through its paces for a couple months and something like this would have been found by now and if it were found I find it hard to believe Moto would release the phone. This is their flagship phone for the next year, it would be a PR nightmare if it had such a big issue as overheating.

That being said, I also agree with Andrea that keeping your 30-day return policy in mind is a good idea. I still plan on getting the phone the day it drops since I have had it with my Captivate.

something as big as overheating would have been visible during all of the hands on stuff at CES, even if just when the phones were sitting idle during the presentations. I think this is a non-issue

Back