• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root point me in the right direction

Ok. So if I root and uninstall bloatware I am still good? Thank you.
Should be fine. I'm on my 4th android device, I've rooted every one of them, and still got OTA updates up until the time I installed a custom rom. Bloatware removal was the main reason I rooted and it didn't affect OTA updates.

If you root and uninstall bloatware, you are modifying the system files so the OTA update will fail.

I'd just go ahead, root, and do whatever you want to it. When the time comes, if you decide you want the OTA, you can just use the SBF to go back to stock. It's quick and easy, and will put your phone back at the stock setup.

If you root and uninstall bloatware, you are modifying the system files so the OTA update will fail.
In my experience, on 4 different android devices over the years, this wasn't the case. Removing bloatware had nothing to do with whether or not an OTA updated succeeded. Rooting does nothing to change the OTA updates capacity of the phone. Installing a custom ROM, on the other hand, is what will keep the user from getting OTA updates.

In my experience, on 4 different android devices over the years, this wasn't the case. Removing bloatware had nothing to do with whether or not an OTA updated succeeded. Rooting does nothing to change the OTA updates capacity of the phone. Installing a custom ROM, on the other hand, is what will keep the user from getting OTA updates.

Well, welcome to your first experience ;)

Just check around, it does affect receiving the updates.
When the update to the Droid 2 came out, I misspelled stickynoteswidget and the update failed each time until I had it spelled correctly.

Glad your other devices were easy.

The X fails if you remove the bloatware, though.

Wowsers, I guess I've been lucky on these 4 devices over the years.

It's just a choice by the manufacturer. Just depends on how extensive the sanity check is by the updater. Virtually all updaters check for their dependencies before modifying the system, the Blur updater just checks for a fully intact /system/ partition or whatever before it rolls out the changes.

It's actually not a terrible idea because you really don't want to push updates of any kind to a device with unknown modifications. For all that we love to point at Moto and cry foul for their many poor choices, I would probably design my software updates to do the same thing. I wouldn't want my software updates touching a device that had its system modified.

It's just a choice by the manufacturer. Just depends on how extensive the sanity check is by the updater. Virtually all updaters check for their dependencies before modifying the system, the Blur updater just checks for a fully intact /system/ partition or whatever before it rolls out the changes.

It's actually not a terrible idea because you really don't want to push updates of any kind to a device with unknown modifications. For all that we love to point at Moto and cry foul for their many poor choices, I would probably design my software updates to do the same thing. I wouldn't want my software updates touching a device that had its system modified.
That's a very good point.. and I'd have to agree with you.

The easiest way I can think of:

1. Get a clean version of 2.3.340. If you haven't modded anything yet and you're on the latest OTA, you're fine, else get maderstock.

2. Root using z4root (PM I think I have it floating around somewhere)

3. Install Droid X Bootstrapper and clockwork recovery. Make a fresh nandroid of .340, with nothing modified.

4. Screw around as you like with your phone, worry free.

I have a "stock" backup image in case an OTA comes out. Instead of worrying about freezing/unfreezing, I can just restore it. If I need to return/sell/whatever my DX, I can use z4root to "unroot" it, then do a data/cache wipe.

Back
Top Bottom