• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possible shut off fix???

I have no idea if this was just a fluke or a real fix, but I have been dealing with my phone shutting off randomly for months. It's just something I accepted and make a point of checking it often to make sure it's on. Especially when expecting a call.

Finally two days ago, I had to reset to factory settings because of that stupid problem with the text numbers (you know, where by accident you forget to put the number with area code and that's it, the phone NEVER adds the area no matter what you do??) but this time, I didn't install a single app. Not one!! Just left it like the factory gave it to me and only added my contacts. (making sure to add that one that I screwed up with the area code this time) and.. I have not had a SINGLE shut off in two days!!

It used to be like sometimes several shut offs in an hour.. then it would go okay for a few hours, but never more than 5-6 hours without a shut off.. never!

Until two days ago.. two days gone and still running strong without a single shut off and I have changed the battery twice in that time. (I do that thing where I have one charging in the charger while using one) Still, everything is running smoothly.

I have no idea if it's just a fluke or not or if the shut offs will happen again, but going two days without a single shut off is a damn miracle since I've had this phone.. made me feel it might be worth sharing.

So now put the apps back one at a time and see if you can tell what was the offending one. I have had my Captivate since launch and it has only shut down twice. I traced that to a battery monitoring app I had installed. So it very well could be that some app caused your issue.

Upvote 0
I think this issue is hardware related. I went through the same thing. People would find a fast solution but eventually the phone would shut off. This has been a problem for some time and it appears its not app related. The best possible solution is to just exchange your phone. Plus, why have this phone if you can't have apps? I really tried looking for solutions and eventually I just had to return it. Anyway, try installing apps one by one just in case. But if you encounter the problem again, I strongly suggest exchanging it. Good luck!

Upvote 0
biggrin.gif
So after months of shutdowns and BS from AT&T and Samsung, AT&T has finally come through. I spoke with someone in the "Office of the President" and after checking into the issue, they overnighted me a
biggrin.gif
NEW
biggrin.gif
Captivate (my phone was purchased in August, so I am well out of the 30-days). Their statement was that the defective phones are not supposed to be in the new lots or refurb lots, as it is against their procedures to knowingly sell defective phones. I would suggest taking your complaints there. The number is 1-800-331-0500. Be firm and upset, but be respectful. They will work with you.

I hope this helps to resolve the issues you are all having with swapping out your defective phones with a NEW Captivate.

Upvote 0
biggrin.gif
So after months of shutdowns and BS from AT&T and Samsung, AT&T has finally come through. I spoke with someone in the "Office of the President" and after checking into the issue, they overnighted me a
biggrin.gif
NEW
biggrin.gif
Captivate (my phone was purchased in August, so I am well out of the 30-days). Their statement was that the defective phones are not supposed to be in the new lots or refurb lots, as it is against their procedures to knowingly sell defective phones. I would suggest taking your complaints there. The number is 1-800-331-0500. Be firm and upset, but be respectful. They will work with you.

I hope this helps to resolve the issues you are all having with swapping out your defective phones with a NEW Captivate.

How did you reach the "Office of the President"? This is just the main customer service line and they tell me that they have no control over which phones they send out - they just keep sending me problem phones to replace other problem phones.

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried installing a custom ROM on a Captivate that is having shut down issues? If so, did that affect the problem one way or another?

Mine was shutting off, every time between 85-100% charge, rooted and lagfix installed. Had to install that app the keeps the CPU busy. So basically eating up 15% of battery.

Flashed Cognition a week ago, hasn't shut off at all.

(crosses fingers... knock on wood)

Upvote 0
I think this issue is hardware related.

I agree its hardware related in most cases. I also feel as if it may take a few weeks even for the random shutdowns to settle in and start. There's no point in suffering with a broken phone. I had a shutdown issue and just got an exchange and have not had one shutdown in the months that i've had the phone since. Its the easiest fix there is.

Upvote 0
I just noticed I have a similar issue. My phone can be charged 90% but if I go to sleep and don't put it on the charger it will power itself off some time later. And it only does this when power isn't connected to it. The battery still has a charge, so that isn't where the problem is. I guess I need to find a good backup program and try to have it replaced.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones