• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possible to create a folder on homescreen?

balubajc

Lurker
Oct 11, 2012
Hi, I have just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. I have downloaded 2 videos I have made and one powerpoint presentation (using Polaris Office). All works very well. I would like to create a folder on the homescreen where I can put these 3 items. I have "googled" a lot to find an answer without any luck. Is it possible to create a general folder on the homescreen?

Hope someone can help me

Best regards

Johnny
Norway

Hi, I have just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. I have downloaded 2 videos I have made and one powerpoint presentation (using Polaris Office). All works very well. I would like to create a folder on the homescreen where I can put these 3 items. I have "googled" a lot to find an answer without any luck. Is it possible to create a general folder on the homescreen?

Hope someone can help me

Best regards

Johnny
Norway

I think you can only do this with the home screens' shortcuts for apps already installed on the tablet...

Upvote 0
I think you can only do this with the home screens' shortcuts for apps already installed on the tablet...

I have been trying to do this also

I have a folder with documents in it
I need a short cut to it on the desk Top , or the Folder on the Desk Top but still not found a way or help to do this.

So If you do find away update the Post

Upvote 0
Tap and hold anywhere in an empty space on the home screen you want place the folder in. A pop-up menu will appear.Tap "add to home screen" and you will be presented with 3 options: "apps; folder and page" Tap "folder" and your folder will be added to the homescreen
Dont think its that simple
You can create a folder on desk top as described and you can name it but seems you can not open it to put anything in it ??

Am I missing something ?

Upvote 0
Tapping and moving the files (also video) worked for me

Must be because your" upside down "
icon7.gif

Folder created on desk top but it will only let you name or rename you can not open it to paste anything in

And if you look through files the folders not shown !

Upvote 0
Must be because your" upside down "
icon7.gif

Folder created on desk top but it will only let you name or rename you can not open it to paste anything in

And if you look through files the folders not shown !

See the attached:

8099198267_fdf3b754eb_m.jpg

8099202521_99143b7136_m.jpg

In the first screen picture you can see the unnamed new folder to the left of the Weather. In the next screen picture is the opened Folder's contents. These were done this morning.
I use ES File Explorer where I select the items that I eventually want in the "folder" In ES File explorer press and hold the item you want, a pop up will appear.Among the many options at the bottom you will see "Shortcut" hit that and a shortcut to your selected file will appear on you Homescreen. Then simply create the new folder, name it if you want and drag the created shortcut into the new folder

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Tap and hold anywhere in an empty space on the home screen you want place the folder in. A pop-up menu will appear.Tap "add to home screen" and you will be presented with 3 options: "apps; folder and page" Tap "folder" and your folder will be added to the homescreen

Thanks to you I just created a folder on my home screen called games and dragged my games into it! Cool! Thanks!

Upvote 0
In the first screen picture you can see the unnamed new folder to the left of the Weather. In the next screen picture is the opened Folder's contents. These were done this morning.
I use ES File Explorer where I select the items that I eventually want in the "folder" In ES File explorer press and hold the item you want, a pop up will appear.Among the many options at the bottom you will see "Shortcut" hit that and a shortcut to your selected file will appear on you Homescreen. Then simply create the new folder, name it if you want and drag the created shortcut into the new folder

Hi, I have tried the above it does create a shortcut onto the home screen but when I drag the file to my new folder it says
APPLICATION IS NOT INSTALLED.

I tried another short cut to a movie and again it says the same

Any ideas please.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have tried the above it does create a shortcut onto the home screen but when I drag the file to my new folder it says

I tried another short cut to a movie and again it says the same

Any ideas please.

As you are dragging files to the folder, no application is involved. In the whole process no apps are involved, Messages dies not make sense to me,sorry:thinking:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have done as you explained and the move option was SHORTCUT.
I then opened the homepage and a shortcut was there , but when I try to open I get the message APPLICATION IS NOT INSTALLED.:thinking:

Just to be sure, I have installed ES file explorer 3 and tried the method described again. It still works fine just as always. Perhaps you have more luck on the Galaxy Tab Forum

Spikes:thinking::thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones