• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible to stream radio with display off?

andoc2012

Newbie
Hi there, would be very happy with some help on this one!

I have the S2 and like to stream online radio often. I've found recently that with WIFI on at home, I can power down the phone whilst streaming, the radio momentarily switches off, and then when I power on the phone, the "keypad login screen" recommences playing the radio again. In this login screen, the display stays on keeping the radio playing, but eventually the screen lights dim conserving battery power.

When I try this with WIFI off just using the network data, and repeat the same process, it won't stay fixed on the keypad login screen. It powers off automatically after the allocated power-down time causing the radio to switch off.

I've tried changing the settings to leave the display on for 30 minutes, but obviously that drains the battery FAST!

Is it possible to stream radio out of WIFI range ... preferably with the display completely off?

Any ideas?

Cheers
 
Is it possible to stream radio out of WIFI range ... preferably with the display completely off?

Any ideas?

Cheers


I would personally recommend TuneIn Radio app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ult#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInR1bmVpbi5wbGF5ZXIiXQ..

Is probably the best, and most popular app right now. It's free, and allow to stream 60,000 radio stations from every corner of the world.

It works with screen off, stream great over WIFI and Data. I listen to it before sleep and it in my car via Bluetooth link. It has lots of options like Sleep Timer - stop the stream and off the app after 15, 30, 60 etc.. min. Or Alarm option which will start playing your favorite stations in the morning at your preferred time.

An absolute MUST try.

cheers

Sebastian
 
Thanks very much... yeah that's a good way around the problem. Other than the radio station I want being on a 30sec delay, it's perfect.

Does it use battery fast? Even with the display off?

Cheers
 
Thanks very much... yeah that's a good way around the problem. Other than the radio station I want being on a 30sec delay, it's perfect.

Does it use battery fast? Even with the display off?

Cheers

30 seconds delay, better don't hope to win any of the radio competitions, like "first caller gets new ipad" ;)

I wasn't sure how much power it takes, so I check my battery level and left it playing for an hour. It seems to be taking about 3% battery an hour, streaming over WIFI. I do however have other services running now, like sync mails, whatsapp etc... it's morning so the phone is more active than by night ..

cheers

Seba
 
Back
Top Bottom