• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Prelude] ZTE Prelude (Z993) Root&Recovery

kaw202

I have built a CWM Recovery for the ZTE prelude (z993). To flash Download the file recovery.zip and extract the recovery.img file.
Use the command adb.exe reboot-bootloader to reboot the phone into bootloader mode.
Next use the command “fastboot.exe flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img”
And finally to boot use the command “fastboot.exe boot /path/to/recovery.img”

Instructions from @humanakeo1

Okay this is what I just did

1.I downloaded the cwm [cwm-z993.img]
2.Renamed to recovery.img placed it in adb folder [Minimal ADB and Fastboot] tool herqulees mentioned
3.Launched Minimal ADB and Fastboot and copy+paste the command " adb.exe reboot-bootloader " the phone restarted and showed the ZTE screen.
4.While on that screen I did the command " fastboot.exe flash recovery recovery.img " it send and write recovery. Took about 1-5 seconds.
5. After that I entered " fastboot.exe boot recovery.img " it downloaded boot.img and resetted my device and now I am in CWM.

The same steps can be used to restore the stock recovery
Once you have flashed a recovery simply make a backup and the flash a superuser.zip

Bugs.
adb side load does not work
Mounting USB storage to pc does not work.

Downloads
CWM - Dev-Host - cwm-z993.img - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
Stock - Dev-Host - stock_recovery-z993.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
credits - Motorhead1991 for his git and board.cfg for the aviva z992

There is no source code available so progress will be slow, and everything will need to use the stock kernel. I will however at least turn out the most stable stock based rom I can sometime this weekend. I have also been working on TWRP and CM10, but I haven't made much progress yet.

There is no source code available so progress will be slow, and everything will need to use the stock kernel. I will however at least turn out the most stable stock based rom I can sometime this weekend. I have also been working on TWRP and CM10, but I haven't made much progress yet.

I would LOVE to see CM on this phone. But at least for now thanks to your recovery I was able to root this phone and uninstall almost 50 apps that were just slowing it down and taking up almost 100MB. Would love to see TWRP too, or at least bug fixes on this recovery. Thanks again!

Thanks I'm pretty new at this. If you can fix any of them let me know how you did. This has been a learning experience, and I would like to keep picking up whatever I can.

Edit: Stock based ROM cumming later today as well as a recovery with a few bug fixes. Thanks to Motorhead1991's git for the ZTE Aviva.

Can you please make the steps clearer. for example do i need to plug my phone into the computer, do i need to keep it plugged in, where do i issue these commands, quote the actually command you put in. not being ungrateful trying to make it easier to understand. thank you in advance.

Search on Google for how to use adb on your computer. After doing so it should be clear on what the directions mean. I do not recommend downloading the Android development package just to get adb as it's a huge waste of space so I would recommend this to install it; [TOOL]Minimal ADB and Fastboot [7-18-13] - xda-developers

Search on Google for how to use adb on your computer. After doing so it should be clear on what the directions mean. I do not recommend downloading the Android development package just to get adb as it's a huge waste of space so I would recommend this to install it; [TOOL]Minimal ADB and Fastboot [7-18-13] - xda-developers

ok i did what you said i got to the part where i input "fastboot.exe flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img" it has said "waiting for device" for 20 minutes now. whats wrong please help im new to using adb.

You are probably not in fast boot mode. Is the phone just sticking a screen that says zte? Sometimes the adb reboot-fastboot command takes more then one try. The other thing I can think is try running command prompt as administrator.

edit, Also I have been working on a cm10/cm10.1 builds I have been solving one build error at a time I hope that I can have a alpha build soon ish.

ok i did what you said i got to the part where i input "fastboot.exe flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img" it has said "waiting for device" for 20 minutes now. whats wrong please help im new to using adb.

Have you turned on USB debugging on your phone then plugged it in to your computer and waited for Windows to install the drivers? After it installs the drivers you may have to restart. I don't currently have a computer I can do all this on to give more detailed steps, so hopefully someone can give more of a walk through if I'm not enough of a help.

Have you turned on USB debugging on your phone then plugged it in to your computer and waited for Windows to install the drivers? After it installs the drivers you may have to restart. I don't currently have a computer I can do all this on to give more detailed steps, so hopefully someone can give more of a walk through if I'm not enough of a help.

im here trying to help and give a walkthrough and I cant even get past ZTE screen lol I guess im gonna wait too

I have Noticed a lot of trouble with Installing the recovery so I will Make a tool to flash it and a more detailed guide. Sorry for the confusion guys.

I have Noticed a lot of trouble with Installing the recovery so I will Make a tool to flash it and a more detailed guide. Sorry for the confusion guys.

Okay this is what I just did

1.I downloaded the cwm [cwm-z993.img]
2.Renamed to recovery.img placed it in adb folder [Minimal ADB and Fastboot] tool herqulees mentioned
3.Launched Minimal ADB and Fastboot and copy+paste the command " adb.exe reboot-bootloader " the phone restarted and showed the ZTE screen.
4.While on that screen I did the command " fastboot.exe flash recovery recovery.img " it send and write recovery. Took about 1-5 seconds.
5. After that I entered " fastboot.exe boot recovery.img " it downloaded boot.img and resetted my device and now I am in CWM.
6. Now if only this Azazel rom downloads without my internet connection messing it up

You are probably not in fast boot mode. Is the phone just sticking a screen that says zte? Sometimes the adb reboot-fastboot command takes more then one try. The other thing I can think is try running command prompt as administrator.

edit, Also I have been working on a cm10/cm10.1 builds I have been solving one build error at a time I hope that I can have a alpha build soon ish.

yes it is stuck at the ZTE logo. i unplugged it after doing 2 hours of research to see if it would mess up my phone lol. how do i know its in fastboot.

yes USB debugging is on before i plug it in and drivers have installed.

"fastboot.exe devices" will show its available. also I am writing the doc on how to use the auto flash script I just put together. I will probably give it its own thread.

fastboot.exe devices will show its available. also I am writing the doc on how to use the auto flash script I just put together. I will probably give it its own thread.

-USB drivers installed
-USB debugging enabled
-Phone connect to pc
-ADB running
-Enter command " adb.exe reboot-bootloader " phne reboots and stays at ZTE screen.
-Enter command " fastboot.exe devices "
-ADB says nothing
-Enter command " fastboot.exe flash recovery C:\Users\Family\Downloads\recovery.img
-ADB says waiting on phone
-Disconnected and reconnected phone
-PLEASE HELP LOL

put your phone into normal android mode
plug it into your pc with debugging mode on
rename cwm to recovery.img and put it into the same directory as adb.exe
open a command prompt at the same directory as adb.exe
copy and past the three commands one at a time

adb.exe push recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.img

adb.exe shell "su -c 'dd if=/data/local/tmp/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17; rm /data/local/tmp/recovery.img'"

adb.exe shell "su -c 'reboot recovery'"

adb.exe shell "su -c 'dd if=/data/local/tmp/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17; rm /data/local/tmp/recovery.img'"

what do you mean by normal android mode. i have 6 option when plugged in.
-charge only
-usb mass storage
-install driver
-connect to pc software
-media device(MTP)
-camera(PTP)

this is what it says

C:\Program Files\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb.exe push recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.img
cannot stat 'recovery.img': No such file or directory

C:\Program Files\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>

does it matter but im using minimal adb and fastboot from the xda developers

no it does not but did you change the cwm-z993.img name to recovery.img

also is it located in the same place as adb.exe

yes i renamed it and checked it multiply times its in

"C:\Program Files\Minimal ADB and Fastboot\recovery.img.img"

and mine doesnt say "adb.exe" it says "py_cmd"

ok so i fixed the problem for the first command actually had it named "recovery.img" instead of just "recovery" lol.
but now it says this

C:\Program Files\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb.exe push recovery.img /data/local/
tmp/recovery.img
cannot stat 'recovery.img': No such file or directory

C:\Program Files\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb.exe push recovery.img /data/local/
tmp/recovery.img
2608 KB/s (6553600 bytes in 2.453s)

C:\Program Files\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb.exe shell "su -c 'dd if=/data/loca
l/tmp/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17; rm /data/local/tmp/recovery.img'"
/system/bin/sh: su: not found

C:\Program Files\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>

Back
Top Bottom