• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root prevail signal issues...

Kamel

I've been getting odd signal issues since I first got this phone. Currently running cm7, but changing roms etc has never had any impact on it.

Primarily what happens (and is most annoying) is I can not keep a signal during driving. If I want to, for example, listen to streaming music while driving down a stretch of road with exceptional signal strength, I'm unable because the phone cuts out so much. In some areas, it will go from full signal strength (all bars, sorry not sure of dbm reading) to 0 bars and no signal strength and just sort of stutter between the two. It may be worth mentioning that the signal strength as a whole seems extremely poor for me. It does kinda alright so long as I am not moving though.

Does anyone else have issues like these? Is my phone defective, or is it just how they are made? Unfortunately, I don't know anyone else with a prevail to ask :(

I've been getting odd signal issues since I first got this phone. Currently running cm7, but changing roms etc has never had any impact on it.

Primarily what happens (and is most annoying) is I can not keep a signal during driving. If I want to, for example, listen to streaming music while driving down a stretch of road with exceptional signal strength, I'm unable because the phone cuts out so much. In some areas, it will go from full signal strength (all bars, sorry not sure of dbm reading) to 0 bars and no signal strength and just sort of stutter between the two. It may be worth mentioning that the signal strength as a whole seems extremely poor for me. It does kinda alright so long as I am not moving though.

Does anyone else have issues like these? Is my phone defective, or is it just how they are made? Unfortunately, I don't know anyone else with a prevail to ask :(

its because ur streaming from 3g and its harder to get a good signal. U are only basing it off your phone reception, 2 totally different things.

I'm not so sure I fully understand you, or maybe the issue is vice-versa. Let me try to be more specific, maybe that will help.

I sometimes have signal issues with my phone, which I have equated to issues with streaming while moving. The issue isn't the streaming though, this is the issue:

I will have full strength signal (not around any large buildings, or any obstructions that might cause this). Travel 50-100ft, and get 0 bars of signal strength. Travel 50-100ft again, and get full signal strength again.

This only happens in "some areas" but the same thing reliably happens in the same area if I revisit the area. What reliably happens all the time is while traveling (driving, or riding) the signal tends to do the same thing. It doesn't go from 4 bars to 0 bars like in the prior example, but it often "thrashes" between say 2 bars and 0 bars, etc. It's almost as if it has lost association with the cell tower and has to reauthenticate or something to that effect. This happens everywhere I travel, regardless of phone settings and regardless of how good the coverage is in the area I'm in. It doesn't seem to cause excessive lost calls, but it does destroy the ability to use internet applications to any reasonable amount while driving.

The issue never occurs while not moving, and the other cell phones I have used do not exhibit this behavior. Having said that, I do not have a sprint or boost phone to compare unfortunately :(

my phone is constantly failing to send my texts regardless of signal. I can have full bars on both 3g signal annnd on wifi and still find myself standing on my front porch trying to get a simple "lol" text to send any help or ideas?

I'm not so sure I fully understand you, or maybe the issue is vice-versa. Let me try to be more specific, maybe that will help.

I sometimes have signal issues with my phone, which I have equated to issues with streaming while moving. The issue isn't the streaming though, this is the issue:

I will have full strength signal (not around any large buildings, or any obstructions that might cause this). Travel 50-100ft, and get 0 bars of signal strength. Travel 50-100ft again, and get full signal strength again.

This only happens in "some areas" but the same thing reliably happens in the same area if I revisit the area. What reliably happens all the time is while traveling (driving, or riding) the signal tends to do the same thing. It doesn't go from 4 bars to 0 bars like in the prior example, but it often "thrashes" between say 2 bars and 0 bars, etc. It's almost as if it has lost association with the cell tower and has to reauthenticate or something to that effect. This happens everywhere I travel, regardless of phone settings and regardless of how good the coverage is in the area I'm in. It doesn't seem to cause excessive lost calls, but it does destroy the ability to use internet applications to any reasonable amount while driving.

The issue never occurs while not moving, and the other cell phones I have used do not exhibit this behavior. Having said that, I do not have a sprint or boost phone to compare unfortunately :(

Maybe you could try updating your boost prl in settings about phone then updates and update prl..or maybe try switching to sprint prl...maybe that might help

Maybe you could try updating your boost prl in settings about phone then updates and update prl..or maybe try switching to sprint prl...maybe that might help

Switching the PRL might work, but to those of us running CM7, it's not as easy as just switching at the drop of a hat. Cyanogenmod does not support the updating or changing of PRL's, so research is involved before deciding to go back to stock just to make a change.

my phone does the same thing. my prl is up to date (boost doesnt release prls that often). i have tried sprint prls and its the same crap so that wont help. i think it has something to do with the towers or the way the phone connects to them.

my phone is constantly failing to send my texts regardless of signal. I can have full bars on both 3g signal annnd on wifi and still find myself standing on my front porch trying to get a simple "lol" text to send any help or ideas?

enable your apn

Switching the PRL might work, but to those of us running CM7, it's not as easy as just switching at the drop of a hat. Cyanogenmod does not support the updating or changing of PRL's, so research is involved before deciding to go back to stock just to make a change.

trying to update the boost prl is easy enough :D ...but i didnt know if your running cm7 you have to switch back to stock then change prl...so yeah that might not be the best soloution

my phone does the same thing. my prl is up to date (boost doesnt release prls that often). i have tried sprint prls and its the same crap so that wont help. i think it has something to do with the towers or the way the phone connects to them.

I updated mine to a custom Sprint PRL with Workshop back when I was running Shabby.09 and haven't had many problems. I get the occasional dropped call, but I live out in the boondocks, so that's to be expected. My 3g is steady even when streaming, good download speeds, etc...

I updated mine to a custom Sprint PRL with Workshop back when I was running Shabby.09 and haven't had many problems. I get the occasional dropped call, but I live out in the boondocks, so that's to be expected. My 3g is steady even when streaming, good download speeds, etc...

hey cowboy which sprint prl are you currently using? just curious

is 01120 an east coast based prl? trying still to figure out if they are regional or how they cataglorize prls by location..wanna get a lil info on it before i go through the hassel of flashing it to phone : )

is 01120 an east coast based prl? trying still to figure out if they are regional or how they cataglorize prls by location..wanna get a lil info on it before i go through the hassel of flashing it to phone : )

I don't really know if it's East coast or not. I do know that it works for me pretty good. PRL' s can be regional, but I believe there's a site called BatonRouge broadband.com that has all of the ins and outs for where the prl's are based and updated.

actually it's easier than you think... You simply make an Odin back up of your current setup
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/429867-odin-image-file-creator.html
Then Odin back to stock (I use ee14)
update prl
Odin back to your back up

And your good. Whole process takes me less than 20 min...

I use opensignal to determine if a can see new towers (I leave apk on sd card to install on ee14)
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.staircase3.opensignal

Hope this helps :)

actually it's easier than you think... You simply make an Odin back up of your current setup
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/429867-odin-image-file-creator.html
Then Odin back to stock (I use ee14)
update prl
Odin back to your back up

And your good. Whole process takes me less than 20 min...

I use opensignal to determine if a can see new towers (I leave apk on sd card to install on ee14)
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.staircase3.opensignal

Hope this helps :)

I already use the Odin method occasionally. It can be a hassle at times, but I made my statement due to the poster not knowing about the prl issue with CM7.

Also, Open Signal is completely useless to me. It never accurately shows the towers, nor proper signal strength in my area....

hey cowboy ..would you happen to have the link where you have found prl 01120??..as you proablly know it could take like three days to find the prl your looking for..or atleast a good link : )

Hey guys, I had nearly given up on this, thanks a lot for all of your information. I had figured a PRL update might do the phone some good. I guess my primary concern was if this was a characteristic of this phone or if my phone is defective.

I am using cm7 but am getting increasingly annoyed by its shortcommings. I am thinking about giving CTMod a shot. It looks very good from the description, I like minimalistic roms like that. I will certainly miss many things about cm7 if I have to leave it though :(

At any rate, I'll try changing the PRL's like suggested and see if that fixes it. I'll report back what I find out.

Back
Top Bottom