• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Prevent accidental factory restore?

As far as I know there is not. I've only ever done this through CWM

If your worried about someone doing this, just password/pattern protect your device in the first place, but if your device is rooted and someone knows what to do then it could still be done via CWM

But as we talking about accidental as opposed to a malicious reset, then are you saying if you press menu>settings>privacy>factory data reset
it just does it without further prompting?

I've never tried it, and now I'm not even going to try, but I would be amazed if it just did it.
If it does prompt, then it would hardly be accidental!

Upvote 0
But as we talking about accidental as opposed to a malicious reset, then are you saying if you press menu>settings>privacy>factory data reset
it just does it without further prompting?

I've never tried it, and now I'm not even going to try, but I would be amazed if it just did it.
If it does prompt, then it would hardly be accidental!

I haven't actually tried it either :)

After you hit 'factory data reset' it does take you to the next screen to confirm erasing any cards and it tells you the Google stuff will be gone and it has a reset button at the bottom.

But even on my 7 year Motorola it would have asked for a password...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones