• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem With Email Sync

I have my email account set up on the phone (my own server, not gmail). I have it set to not delete emails from the server because I use Outlook at home and that downloads all emails to store locally when I get home, so my server is emptied. I just want to download a copy of it on the phone to read. But on the Droid X, it keeps all emails even ones I deleted from my server days ago. all I should be seeing are new ones.

I never had this issue when I used the Droid Eris - every time it would fetch, it wiped out whatever it had downloaded to the phone if they were not on my server and only showed new emails since the last time I was on Outlook.

There must be something I'm not setting right? What am I doing wrong?

Bruce

I have my email account set up on the phone (my own server, not gmail). I have it set to not delete emails from the server because I use Outlook at home and that downloads all emails to store locally when I get home, so my server is emptied. I just want to download a copy of it on the phone to read. But on the Droid X, it keeps all emails even ones I deleted from my server days ago. all I should be seeing are new ones.

I never had this issue when I used the Droid Eris - every time it would fetch, it wiped out whatever it had downloaded to the phone if they were not on my server and only showed new emails since the last time I was on Outlook.

There must be something I'm not setting right? What am I doing wrong?

Bruce
You have the phone email set up to download through POP, which stores a local copy of your messages. Your outlook is configured the same way, and then removes them from the server. Just as your outlook email doesn't get competely wiped whenever your server is cleared, so it is with the phone.

Try setting the phone message protocol to IMAP instead, which doesn't store the messages locally, just polls the server and displays what's there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones