• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

proprietary USB charger???

I thought I was getting away from this and the XOOM and it's lame proprietary charger, but this newly arrived Nexus 7 (which is peppy, I do like that) only seems to take a charge from it's USB charger (or the PC). This *stinks* because I use a built in wall charger by my bed, and I have a specific folding travel charger that I use on the road - neither charges the Nexus! So now I have to plug the proprietary USB charger in the wall by my bed (which then sticks out 4" requiring moving and rearranging furniture) and also pack it along with everything else for trips (just what I need -1 more thing!).

*sigh* can't we all just get along on the USB and related USB functions???

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
GRRRRR! I am mad.

I haven't had any problems using my Moto wall charger and it. What I do have is my TF Prime only takes its wall charger or just gets a trickle from others (incl the N7 one). None of our phones have problems with any of them. Does suck, I know. At least it's not a proprietary INPUT like my Flyer has.

Uh, I've charged my N7 from 6 (yes, 6) different wall adapters.

Odd. I have no issue using whatever charger I happen to grab and plug in. I actually very rarely use the one that came with it. One thing that does occur to me is that when the original Asus Transformer came out, we all found out that you couldn't use just any charger. If I remember right, I think it used a USB3 cable and not the usual USB2 that most people use. There seems to be certain pins on the 3 cord that aren't there on the 2 cord and that caused issues. Since this is still an Asus product, I'm willing to go with that theory.

This isn't a USB3 port, nor was the stock cable a USB3 cable, so that's not it :)

Keep in mind that the N7 has a MUCH larger battery than any phone, so a phone charger will take a very long time to charge it. I think the N7 charger has a 2A charging output, vs 1/2A for the USB port in a PC/Laptop, and maybe 750mA-850mA on most phone chargers.

It doesn't require a 2A charger either. My chargers are 500 mA, 650 mA, 750 mA, 850 mA, 1A, 2A. They all work.

Is it possible that your charger(s) are designed for the iPad? My girlfriend's iPad charger will not charge my N7.

There's no problem using other chargers, although they may take longer if they aren't 2A. The micro-USB is a standard in Europe now, not sure about elsewhere.

My point is, you need 2 amps if you're going to charge at the fastest speed.

If it's powered on, with a charger that's too small, you could actually lose a charge, if it can't keep up.

I use mine mostly at work at night (don't let the boss know) and there are always a bunch of different phone chargers laying around. Never had an issue using any of them. Of course some charge slower than others but all of them charge for me.

Joe

I'm sure I remember reading (in this forum) that the N7 detects what type of charger it's connected to and adjusts the charging rate accordingly. It may be that it thinks your charger is a PC and it's keeping the charge rate down so as not to overload the PC's USB bus.

My point is, you need 2 amps if you're going to charge at the fastest speed.

If it's powered on, with a charger that's too small, you could actually lose a charge, if it can't keep up.

Ahh, yeah, I gotcha.

If you aren't using the tablet, though, even a 500 mA charger should keep up. 4300 mAh battery, if you are discharging at 500 mAh, would last ~8.6 hrs. That's way less than the standby time of the tablet, so it should at least take a small charge.

So, the charger for the N7 is a 2A output, and the charger for my GNex is a 1A. Does it matter if I interchange these? Charge my N7 with my 1A GNex charger, or charge my GNex with my 2A N7 charger?

What if it's a 10V === 1A (or 2A) as opposed to a 5V === 1A (or 2A)... is this question better off in a different forum? lol...

Results of some tests:

My iPhone charger (3gs) doesn't work, won't charge. Shame because it is so much smaller.

My HTC charger does work and it breaks down into two pieces, will also charge my iPhone, so I will put that in my rucksack.

The chargers for my Motorola phones, Kindle Fire and Kindle Touch all work on my N7. Honestly, I haven't paid any attention to whether it takes longer with one or the other. I just keep the N7 charger at work, in case it needs charging while I'm there.

My only device that needs its own charger is my Transformer Prime. My N7 charges just fine with that one or my Moto chargers.
Merged charger threads.

Uh, I've charged my N7 from 6 (yes, 6) different wall adapters.

Same here, use my HTC Rezound charger, my sons LG charger and my wife's Moto charger with no problems.

Make sure that the cable you use is correct. Some are for power, some for power and data. Certain cables have problems. It's not the device I think.

I've owned a few eInk Kindles and use the white charger because of the extra long cord. It definitely charges the N7 at a very slow rate. It's not a problem if my goal is to charge it overnight. I'm realizing I do need to start making use of my N7 charger for quick charges.

I've a 0.3A charger, which only charges the Nexus 7 when it is switched off - slowly, too.

The N7 seems to charge fine when switched on with any charger rated over 1A. I've an iPad wall charger with 2 USB outputs, which is great because it will charge my Nexus 7, TF101, PS Vita, SGS2 and Sony P&S camera without problems (only two at a time, obviously). Makes travel packing very much easier!

Back
Top Bottom