• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Proximity Sensor with 2.1

I had real problems until with my phone until I loaded the proximity sensor. I had a little trouble getting it to work but when it did, it remedied the one thing that I disliked about the Hero. I loaded 2.1 yesterday and generally I like it EXCEPT I cannot get the proximity sensor app to work again. Has any one else had this issue? Suggestions? Thanks.

Honestly, if it weren't for the Proximity Sensor app, I would've returned my Hero long ago. How they could sell a phone that accidentally responds to your face pressing the screen while you're on a call blows my mind. It's a serious problem with the Hero that almost NONE of the early reviewers bothered to mention....yet a lot of people experienced it.

Upvote 0
i use the automatic feature anyways...i quite like auto dimming/brightness.

i dont have an issue without a proximity sensor. but i can see how one could have many issues (ie. holding phone between head and shoulder, positioning phone screen against face etc.).

too bad this app doesnt actually turn off the screen to save power. does it eventually turn off?

Upvote 0
I had real problems until with my phone until I loaded the proximity sensor. I had a little trouble getting it to work but when it did, it remedied the one thing that I disliked about the Hero. I loaded 2.1 yesterday and generally I like it EXCEPT I cannot get the proximity sensor app to work again. Has any one else had this issue? Suggestions? Thanks.

I had issues with hanging up on people when I had 1.5. Sometimes the Proximity Sensor helped, other times it didn't.
I haven't put it back on my phone since the 2.1 update bec the screen seems to lock or go to sleep when I'm on a call much better now than before.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones