• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

QI Wireless Charging

I just received my Qi Charging Receiver from eBay (direct from China). I popped it behind my standard battery door and it closed just fine. There is a slight bulge where the receiver sits, but it really isn't noticeable to me.

I also received two different PowerBot charging pads: 1022 (a small black "hockey puck" style pad) and 1044 (a car pad).

They both "sort of" work, but the problem I'm having is due to where the receiver sits in the phone. It basically sits over the battery, which is on the left side of the phone (if you are facing the screen). In order to get the phone to charge wirelessly, I have to make sure that the left side of the phone is directly over the charging coil in the pad.

If the phone is centered, it only works intermittently, and often not at all. This seems to be ok for the 1022, but it makes the 1044 unusable because the 1044 has arms that hold the phone in place which automatically center the phone onto the pad. When it does this, it loses its connection.

What I'm wondering is if the Qi charging back from Samsung suffers from the same issue, or is the receiver centered in the back? Does anyone know the answer to that?

Upvote 0
I just received my Qi Charging Receiver from eBay (direct from China). I popped it behind my standard battery door and it closed just fine. There is a slight bulge where the receiver sits, but it really isn't noticeable to me.

I also received two different PowerBot charging pads: 1022 (a small black "hockey puck" style pad) and 1044 (a car pad).

They both "sort of" work, but the problem I'm having is due to where the receiver sits in the phone. It basically sits over the battery, which is on the left side of the phone (if you are facing the screen). In order to get the phone to charge wirelessly, I have to make sure that the left side of the phone is directly over the charging coil in the pad.

If the phone is centered, it only works intermittently, and often not at all. This seems to be ok for the 1022, but it makes the 1044 unusable because the 1044 has arms that hold the phone in place which automatically center the phone onto the pad. When it does this, it loses its connection.

What I'm wondering is if the Qi charging back from Samsung suffers from the same issue, or is the receiver centered in the back? Does anyone know the answer to that?

The SAMSUNG Charging Back Cover works WITHOUT having to look for the "Sweet Spot".Just place it on whatever charging dock you have,centered,& it works as advertised.

I have one of those "Hockey Puck" charging pads &w/my unit,it is a POS.
The coil works fine,but,the "puck/housing" is too thick.My phone connects & immediately disconnects.

As i said,the coil in the hockey puck works fine,I disassembled the puck & removed the coil,placed the phone on it & it charges w/o interruption.
Gonna make my own charging stand w/the coil from the hockey puck...........

Reactions: zipred
Upvote 0
I've become very spoiled by Wireless Charging. It's just terrific, the ultimate in convenience and speed of use (not charging) if the greater majority of manufacturers would focus on offering it that would be great. That would also drive prices down. I've got them sprinkled around various rooms of the house, and on my desk at work. They've become my favorite accessory.

Upvote 0
I've become very spoiled by Wireless Charging. It's just terrific, the ultimate in convenience and speed of use (not charging) if the greater majority of manufacturers would focus on offering it that would be great. That would also drive prices down. I've got them sprinkled around various rooms of the house, and on my desk at work. They've become my favorite accessory.

Never thought I would be as enamored with it as I became. It has been my "must have" item for any future phone I own.

Upvote 0
Samsung should have either:

1. Made the Note 4 come standard with wireless charging
2. Made the standard cover for the Note 4 just as thick as the wireless charging cover

Since they didn't, no cases will fit the Note 4 with wireless charging cover. Eventually, someone will hopefully fill this void with like 3 cases to choose from, but seriously...Samsung engineering should have just made the standard cover a tad thicker for uniformity across the platform.

If they had done this, then I could choose from like 50 cases and also have wireless charging.

I wonder...could I hollow out a case enough to make it fit...hmmm...

I know, I know...first world problems and all that jazz...

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm going commando with my wireless charging back installed. I doubt we'll ever see any good cases produced for such a small market.

As for the difference in the backs, Samsung probably could have split the difference and made the standard back a little thicker and the wireless back a little thinner. Of course if the backs were exactly the same Samsung would be blamed for not just including the wireless back in the box to to begin with...

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm going commando with my wireless charging back installed. I doubt we'll ever see any good cases produced for such a small market.

As for the difference in the backs, Samsung probably could have split the difference and made the standard back a little thicker and the wireless back a little thinner. Of course if the backs were exactly the same Samsung would be blamed for not just including the wireless back in the box to to begin with...

I think it would be a much larger market if the phone either:

1. Came with wireless charging
2. Standard cases fit it with the Wireless charging back

:p

Upvote 0
Well, I sure hope that the wireless charging cover works with my I-Blason portfolio. I love that thing and won't get rid of it. If it's too think, I'll go back to what I'm doing now: I have a Qi coil duct-taped inside the phone on the appropriate contacts. Doesn't charge much and it doesn't charge fast... but it works in a pinch :)

Upvote 0
Well, I sure hope that the wireless charging cover works with my I-Blason portfolio. I love that thing and won't get rid of it. If it's too think, I'll go back to what I'm doing now: I have a Qi coil duct-taped inside the phone on the appropriate contacts. Doesn't charge much and it doesn't charge fast... but it works in a pinch :)

The QI-Enabled Battery Cover adds approx .060" thickness,but,it's tapered on the sides,so,that may aid in fit w/your case:

http://www.i-blason.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-leather-book-folio-wallet-case.html

Reactions: Palmetto Fellow
Upvote 0
Thanks for this tip! I have the Samsung wireless charging back, and couldn't find any cases that fit. This is perfect! My only gripe is that I can't do WIRED charging with this case on. The rubber comes too close to the charging port to allow the USB cable to insert fully. So when I need to do a rapid wired charge, I have to pop the phone out of the case. No big deal, but wish I didn't have to!

Anyone know of a case that will fit the factory wireless charging back AND allow for usb wired charging with the case on?

Took delivery of another bumper frame today:

For Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Crystal Clear Hybrid Soft TPU Bumper Case Frame Cover | eBay

040406-48300_ik1.gif

040406-48300_ik2.gif

040406-48300_ik3.gif

This one does indeed fit with the SAMSUNG QI-Charger Cover,albeit a very tight fit.If not for the relief cut-out (see pic #3 upper L/H corner),this case would probably not fit all the way around for true edge protection.

You'll even get a bit of face-down & face-up protection on a flat surface.
The backside is protected more by the contours around the USB Port & 3.5mm audio jack.The protection is minimal,but,it's there,you can lay the phone down either side up on a flat/clean surface w/o worry to camera lens damage or the display screen.

Upvote 0
Jus an update:

I received my factory wireless back, and it is leagues better than the cheap coil I bought through eBay. The biggest benefit is that it works when the phone is centered on the charger -- when I had the cheap coil installed, I had to position the phone off to the side in order to make it work. That was annoying on a desk charger, but made using a car charger next to impossible. Now that I have the factory wireless back, Qi has become an absolute joy to use!

Upvote 0
Jus an update:

I received my factory wireless back, and it is leagues better than the cheap coil I bought through eBay. The biggest benefit is that it works when the phone is centered on the charger -- when I had the cheap coil installed, I had to position the phone off to the side in order to make it work. That was annoying on a desk charger, but made using a car charger next to impossible. Now that I have the factory wireless back, Qi has become an absolute joy to use!

From the reviews I have read, the Note 4 will charge in the middle of the charging pad with the wireless cover attached, unlike the cheap Qi coils. I'm getting mine this week. :)

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones