• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question concerning upcoming Froyo and rooted phone

mrnumi

I rooted my phone to remove the bloatware, but didn't change anything else otherwise. Will this affect the Froyo update when it arrives? I should still receive the notice to download it, correct? I'm still running the stock rom. Any idea if the bloatware will be restored with the update?

Pretty sure that you need the stock rom, stock recovery, and unrooted phone to get ota's. So I guess if all you did was root to remove bloatware and didn't install a custom rom or recovery then all you would need to do is unroot your phone. As for the bloatware coming with 2.2 I can almost guarantee you that there will be plenty with it.

I'm pretty sure that a rooted phone with the stock ROM will still get OTAs. If you choose to install it it will just unroot you and reinstall the bloatware

Pretty sure that you need the stock rom, stock recovery, and unrooted phone to get ota's. So I guess if all you did was root to remove bloatware and didn't install a custom rom or recovery then all you would need to do is unroot your phone. As for the bloatware coming with 2.2 I can almost guarantee you that there will be plenty with it.

Thanks for the answers guys. Everything is stock except for the recovery. I flashed clockwork mod to clear out the dalvik cache after i removed the bloatware. After that i unrooted the phone. If i need to flash the stock recovery to get the ota update how would i go about doing that?

Thanks again everyone!

I rooted my phone to remove the bloatware, but didn't change anything else otherwise. Will this affect the Froyo update when it arrives? I should still receive the notice to download it, correct? I'm still running the stock rom. Any idea if the bloatware will be restored with the update?
Yes having removed the Bloatware will not allow you to take the OTA update. You will need to go Stock. Unrooting is HIGHLY advised because we do not know what affect the new update will have on a rooted phone.
You will recieve the Notification most likely but it will not take in the condition your in right now.

If you want the update and future updates simply go to my thread to understand how. http://androidforums.com/ally-all-t...nteer-who-wants-go-back-completely-stock.html

Also see this as well http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/234620-signed_clockwork_to_stock_recovery-zip.html

There is also another method to go stock. Many people enjoy my way because of its simplicity and ease. This is that other way below.
http://androidforums.com/death2all110/166588-how-flash-stock-lg-rom.html

Yes having removed the Bloatware will not allow you to take the OTA update. You will need to go Stock. Unrooting is HIGHLY advised because we do not know what affect the new update will have on a rooted phone.
You will recieve the Notification most likely but it will not take in the condition your in right now.

Yeah, that's what I thought. If you are able to download the update via LG Mobile Updater (I'm not), you should NOT return to stock, and NOT have a stock recovery. This has something to do with Fast Boot not working right and rooting later on. Not sure of the details, but that's what they were saying in IRC.

Better yet, wait a while until the ROM Gods are able to hack the LG version so it can be installed via Zip file in Recovery and rooted.

Yeah, that's what I thought. If you are able to download the update via LG Mobile Updater (I'm not), you should NOT return to stock, and NOT have a stock recovery. This has something to do with Fast Boot not working right and rooting later on. Not sure of the details, but that's what they were saying in IRC.

Better yet, wait a while until the ROM Gods are able to hack the LG version so it can be installed via Zip file in Recovery and rooted.

That's what i'm doing. I'm just hoping someone releases the stock version of the Froyo update at some point without any customizations other than maybe root access. I've never had luck with ROMs (other than Punisher) when they've had custom kernels and other changes made to them by a developer, mostly due to a few of my paid apps not working anymore. To be honest, I don't even need root access. I'll simply take out the bloatware from the zip file before I flash it, which is the only reason I root to begin with.

That's what i'm doing. I'm just hoping someone releases the stock version of the Froyo update at some point without any customizations other than maybe root access. I've never had luck with ROMs (other than Punisher) when they've had custom kernels and other changes made to them by a developer, mostly due to a few of my paid apps not working anymore. To be honest, I don't even need root access. I'll simply take out the bloatware from the zip file before I flash it, which is the only reason I root to begin with.

Same goes for me. Played with a few custom roms, had some issues, though none of them major, so really, I just rooted this time around to remove the bloat.

Back
Top Bottom