• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question for those of you on Verizon

ZepTepi

Android Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2011
San Diego, CA
I've been dealing with Verizon regarding multiple issues and the main one is the fact that I do not get 5G Nationwide. A tier 2 tech person told me today that she shows the the N10+ 5G devices are not capable of getting 5G Nationwide but that Samsung may have a software fix for this and she is reaching out to them to find out. Are those of you on Verizon getting 5G Nationwide or no? Have you heard anything about a software fix from Samsung being necessary to get 5G Nationwide?

Don't allow yourself to be fooled by marketing claims, there's a clear distinction between the empty verbage used to sell stuff and reality.
-- The main selling point with 5G is it can provide faster bandwidth. An important weak point is a 5G signal has shorter range than 4G signal.
-- There is no such thing as even 'nationwide' 4G/LTE coverage here in the U.S. There are still plenty of areas where there's little to no cell phone network coverage.
-- From an overall perspective, U.S. 5G coverage is still much smaller than 4G/LTE coverage.
-- If there's one thing our carriers are consistent about, it's that they are averse to investing into their own cellular network infrastructure. So for now 5G expansion is going to be a slow, gradual process. I tend to think it would be better for everyone if they'd just make the existing 4G/LTE networks more pervasive and reliable, instead of making sporadic 5G access available to the select few.

Upvote 0
@svim exactly!

But I think one huge reason that they don't like to invest is because the technology is always moving forward.
Recently 6G has been shown to have data speeds of 1T a second.
Yes, I said 6G.
This was either in a lab or another small test area.

The providers still do not have continuous 3G service, yet that is coming to a close quickly.

4G will be here a long while, by tech standards.

I (50 years old next month) probably won't live long enough to benefit from 5G.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
so Verizon 5G Nationwide is what Verizon is calling their normal 5G coverage. they also have Verizon 5G Ultra Wide is at a higher band and is faster and can handle things that need higher performance.

https://www.gowireless.com/blog/5g-nationwide-vs-5g-ultra-wideband-whats-the-difference/

from the article:
This does not mean you’re limited to specific locations with 5G Ultra Wideband. As you leave areas with Ultra Wideband coverage you’ll automatically switch to 5G Nationwide, which will offer either low-band 5G, 4G, or 4G LTE depending on your location.

so i have hit and miss with 5G here in LA. i do get spots of Ultrawide 5G which is nice.

Upvote 0
@svim exactly!

But I think one huge reason that they don't like to invest is because the technology is always moving forward.
Recently 6G has been shown to have data speeds of 1T a second.
Yes, I said 6G.
This was either in a lab or another small test area.

The providers still do not have continuous 3G service, yet that is coming to a close quickly.

4G will be here a long while, by tech standards.

I (50 years old next month) probably won't live long enough to benefit from 5G.
Same here, I just turned 43 in Jan.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
so Verizon 5G Nationwide is what Verizon is calling their normal 5G coverage. they also have Verizon 5G Ultra Wide is at a higher band and is faster and can handle things that need higher performance.

https://www.gowireless.com/blog/5g-nationwide-vs-5g-ultra-wideband-whats-the-difference/

from the article:

so i have hit and miss with 5G here in LA. i do get spots of Ultrawide 5G which is nice.

What they refuse to state is that the vast amount of the service is 4G/LTE.
They are just renaming and selling it all as 5G, which is dishonest at best.

Upvote 0
The difference between 3G/4G LTE and 5G is that 5G is a huge jump up the frequency spectrum. The higher the frequency, however, the shorter the range - so most actual 5G will be line-of-sight with the antenna. Any obstruction, like a building or vehicle, will generally block the signal. True 5G, for the most part, will only be found in the busiest downtown areas.

That's the problem with deploying 5G: it's going to be wildly expensive to cover the country with 5G equipment that is within line of sight with other 5G equipment, providing a continuous hand-off as people move. The solution, apparently, is to redefine "5G".

:p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
5G coverage is spotty at best.

What do you mean, exactly?

Is the device going to 4G, 3G, and 2G in some areas?

This is normal.

I purchased the N10+ 5G in Aug 2019 when they debuted and although there was no 5G here in San Diego yet I was told that as soon as there was I would get it on my phone. During the time I've had the N10+ 5G I've gotten 4G the vast majority of the time and it's dropped to 3G and 1G on a few occasions. I would check in with them 2 - 3 times a year to see where they were at with the 5G roll out here and when I eventually found out that 5G nationwide was in San Diego I still was not getting it on my device. I went into a corporate Verizon store and was told by a rep that it actually hadn't started up here because there had been delays in getting the equipment installed to provide that 5G. While I was in the store they looked at my device and confirmed that it was 5G ready. While I was in that store I did get the 5G ultra wide on my phone but of course that went away as soon as I left the store. Jump to a couple of months ago when I started having some issues with my device and contacted Verizon again to deal with them and after some head scratching interactions with multiple people & bots I went into a corporate store and when the rep looked at my phone she discovered it did not have a 5G SIM card in it. Remember back when I said multiple times I've been told that the phone was 5G ready well that turned out to be incorrect. After putting a 5G SIM card in it, it still did not get 5G. They finally agreed to replace my device again but then told me I'd have to pay $200+ even though I pay the insurance. I've had many phones replaced over the years for various technical issues with both Verizon and Sprint for many years before that and this was the 1st time I'd ever been told I had to pay out of pocket for a replacement phone when I have insurance on it. I balked at it and they relented and sent it to me at no additional cost. Upon getting the replacement phone and moving the 5G SIM card into it I still did not get 5G nationwide. At this point the issue is being dealt with being dealt with at the tear 2 and tier 3 levels and and the 2 or 3 person I spoke to yesterday told me that she didn't find anything stating that the N10+ 5G was able to get 5G nationwide but was going to look into this further before stating that for sure. She said that it was possible Samsung would have a software solution to this but now I'm thinking that I might never get 5G nationwide on this device.

That's where I'm at up to this point.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
I purchased the N10+ 5G in Aug 2019 when they debuted and although there was no 5G here in San Diego yet I was told that as soon as there was I would get it on my phone. During the time I've had the N10+ 5G I've gotten 4G the vast majority of the time and it's dropped to 3G and 1G on a few occasions. I would check in with them 2 - 3 times a year to see where they were at with the 5G roll out here and when I eventually found out that 5G nationwide was in San Diego I still was not getting it on my device. I went into a corporate Verizon store and was told by a rep that it actually hadn't started up here because there had been delays in getting the equipment installed to provide that 5G. While I was in the store they looked at my device and confirmed that it was 5G ready. While I was in that store I did get the 5G ultra wide on my phone but of course that went away as soon as I left the store. Jump to a couple of months ago when I started having some issues with my device and contacted Verizon again to deal with them and after some head scratching interactions with multiple people & bots I went into a corporate store and when the rep looked at my phone she discovered it did not have a 5G SIM card in it. Remember back when I said multiple times I've been told that the phone was 5G ready well that turned out to be incorrect. After putting a 5G SIM card in it, it still did not get 5G. They finally agreed to replace my device again but then told me I'd have to pay $200+ even though I pay the insurance. I've had many phones replaced over the years for various technical issues with both Verizon and Sprint for many years before that and this was the 1st time I'd ever been told I had to pay out of pocket for a replacement phone when I have insurance on it. I balked at it and they relented and sent it to me at no additional cost. Upon getting the replacement phone and moving the 5G SIM card into it I still did not get 5G nationwide. At this point the issue is being dealt with being dealt with at the tear 2 and tier 3 levels and and the 2 or 3 person I spoke to yesterday told me that she didn't find anything stating that the N10+ 5G was able to get 5G nationwide but was going to look into this further before stating that for sure. She said that it was possible Samsung would have a software solution to this but now I'm thinking that I might never get 5G nationwide on this device.

That's where I'm at up to this point.

Just be glad that the device works at all.
5G is a huge scam, and what you experienced when it worked while at the store is exactly what it will be.
As soon as you turn around or another person/object blocks the signal, it will be gone.

As technology goes beyond 5G, this problem will only get worse for the vast majority of us.

Eventually, only the elite few that are living in controlled environments will have working cellular service.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones