• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question re. synching

What about backing up paid and free apps? If I have to swap to another phone, my concern is that my apps, especially the paid ones, won't be able to be reinstalled on the new phone.

FWIW, I do use Astro File Manager and love it. It's made things so much easier.

your paid apps are tied to your gmail addy that you entered in at set up...so you are fine unless you choose to use a different gmail addy

paid apps can be backed up with appbrain or astro

mybackup offers quite a bit more in backup options...but it is only free for 30 days (assuming they are still offering that)

Reactions: Lord Vader
Upvote 0
I have and use MyBackup Pro from the Market (the full, paid version of MyBackup).

It works. Backs up apps (paid and free) and settings (contacts, SMS, email, etc.), you can choose which things to back up, you can backup to the SD card or to their website.

For paid apps, they're tied to the Google account you used to buy them. So, if you are joesmith at gmail dot com on your current phone, you use that same account on your new phone (doesn't matter which Android phone it is), and your paid apps will show up under "downloads" in the Market. It may take time for them to all show up (a few folks have reported it taking up to a day).

When I went from the Hero to the EVO, all of my paid apps were there immediately. None of my free apps showed up though. Not sure why that was.

However, since I was going from the Hero (running 1.6) to EVO (running 2.2), I didn't re-install them from my backup. Instead, I opened the backup to see which ones I'd had then downloaded them again from the Market. (No reason for doing it that way. It just seemed cleaner to me.)

Reactions: Lord Vader
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones