• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question regarding audio cables for automobile

gil_happy

Hello

I recently purchased a Galaxy S2 and now I have questions about audio cables and connecting it to my car's integrated audio system. Currently, I have a 2008 BMW and in the console, it has a 3.5mm jack and USB port (and also comes with an iPhone cable).

As it stands, I can use a USB thumb drive with MP3s and it works just fine. I would like to play MP3s from my Galaxy to the stereo. I see online that they sell 3rd party male to male 3.5mm audio cables. They also sell male 3.5mm Jack Plug to USB Data Cable which indicates it's for iPhone / iPod.

Does anyone know if the if the USB to 3.5mm works on the Samsung G2? As well, I assume the 3.5mm male to male jack will work, except that the advantage to the USB cable is that the song titles, etc are available on the dash, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I would have to say (this is coming from someone who does NOT know BMW's) that the USB to 3.5mm jack will NOT show you song information. The 3.5mm jack is strictly left and right audio channels, and I would assume that the only way to retrieve song information is for the Phone to send the information through the 3.5mm jack and for the cars factory stereo to decode that information and display it on the screen. My understanding is that this is not possible. I will research this though and edit if necessary, now I am interested...

I wonder if that specific cord (USB to 3.5mm jack) is for the iPod Shuffle? The Shuffle uses the jack to charge and to sync with a PC.

EDIT: according to a Google search the USB to 3.5mm jack is to send audio signal to a USB device, it does not specify that it will work with your Device, or if it will even work with stereo equipment. I can only find what it is supposed to do, not what it will do, hope this helps.

Thanks for this... let me know if you find anything as I'm also wondering if the micro USB port offers any type of song information.

Thanks for this... let me know if you find anything as I'm also wondering if the micro USB port offers any type of song information.

I will say this, ID3 tags do not show up when I plug my phone into my stereo via USB..... .....BUT that could be the stereo itself and not my phone. It could be that my stereo (being a little over 2 years old going by the MFG date) does not support ID3 tags and only supports AAC tags (from Apple.)

Best guess it to plug your phone into your Cars stereo Via USB, Mount the SD card (if avalible) and start playing a song, just like you would with your thumb drive. If the ID3 tag shows up AWESOME! If not, unmount the SD card (if mounted) and unplug the USB from the stereo, put your tail between your legs and run away screaming, because the Germans finally did something WRONG with an automobile!!! LOL Just Kiddin on that last part BTW

Back
Top Bottom