• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions with google music

zackman2091

Mar 21, 2010
I have all my music on my 16 gb sd card and i enjoy being able to listen to music that way so i dont have streaming issues and i can turn off 3g and wifi to save battery

Main reason is i also i like having the htc music app so that i can change songs while working out with out having to unlock my phone everytime

With google music i love the fact that it will auto sync my songs i put on itunes and then put them onto the cloud

The problem is that when i go to the google music app there is duplicates of every song

Is there a way i can do somethin about that like change the location that one of the apps looks to find the music

Or i was wondering if anyone tried this, delete all the songs off your sd card, and then download them from the google music app.....would that make it so that there is duplicates? and would the htc app still be able to access the music

Thanks

It's showing duplicates because you have them on your phone still. Best bet is to plug your phone into a PC and then move the contents of your Music folder to a folder on your PC for safe keeping. You can also rename your Music folder with a '.' in front of it or create a new folder with a '.' in front of it and Music won't scan those tracks. The point of Google Music is to utilize the 'Cloud' for your files and then you can access your tracks and playlists from any internet device.

Upvote 0
Yes i understand that i have the items still on my phone, thats what i want, i want to be able to synce google music then download the stuff off google music onto my phone then be able to use the music downloaded from google music on my htc music app

Yes i have read stuff on google importer but then i have 2 copies of the songs that are downloaded from google music on my sd card, and instead of 7gb of music data i would have 14 gb of songs

Upvote 0
Yes i understand that i have the items still on my phone, thats what i want, i want to be able to synce google music then download the stuff off google music onto my phone then be able to use the music downloaded from google music on my htc music app

Yes i have read stuff on google importer but then i have 2 copies of the songs that are downloaded from google music on my sd card, and instead of 7gb of music data i would have 14 gb of songs

You can't download stuff off of Google Music. Ever. RIAA has been all over Google about this Music app because it would be too easy for people to share accounts like a peer 2 peer account so you won't ever be able to do what you're wanting. Period. If you aren't using the could aspect of Google Music then you're missing the entire point of Google music. I keep a backup of all my music files on an external hard drive elsewhere just in case but other than that I don't store them on my phone at all. That's the point of Google Music since it's not really that good of a music player. If you want all of your files on your phone then just use another/better music player. It's meant so that if/when you change your device you can log into your Google account and Bam! There's all your important info like contacts, emails, music, pictures... yadda yadda yadda. That's the point of Google Music & due to piracy potentials you won't be able to download fro your Music account once you upload. It's on the cloud and that's that. No need to download to your device because you can access them via the app anyway and do anything you would as if it was on the device.

Upvote 0
You can't download stuff off of Google Music. Ever. RIAA has been all over Google about this Music app because it would be too easy for people to share accounts like a peer 2 peer account so you won't ever be able to do what you're wanting. Period. If you aren't using the could aspect of Google Music then you're missing the entire point of Google music. I keep a backup of all my music files on an external hard drive elsewhere just in case but other than that I don't store them on my phone at all. That's the point of Google Music since it's not really that good of a music player. If you want all of your files on your phone then just use another/better music player. It's meant so that if/when you change your device you can log into your Google account and Bam! There's all your important info like contacts, emails, music, pictures... yadda yadda yadda. That's the point of Google Music & due to piracy potentials you won't be able to download fro your Music account once you upload. It's on the cloud and that's that. No need to download to your device because you can access them via the app anyway and do anything you would as if it was on the device.

Actually as of now I can do what I want because u are able to download your music from google music onto ur phone and it saves it in the cache folder but changes the name and doesn't have the album art work, then with google music importer It's able to find the cached songs get the names and art work then put them in the music folder and it's able to play on different apps

But doing that makes u have 2 copies of each song on ur micro sd card and that takes up to much space

So I was trying to see if there was another way

Upvote 0
You can download any song that's in your GM library (including any free songs they added). I downloaded all to my PC (then transfered a copy to my phone for offline use). I open GM on my phone and don't see any duplicates (connected wifi), and have all the same music on my card. Not sure why I am so lucky.

Upvote 0
You can download any song that's in your GM library (including any free songs they added). I downloaded all to my PC (then transfered a copy to my phone for offline use). I open GM on my phone and don't see any duplicates (connected wifi), and have all the same music on my card. Not sure why I am so lucky.

Can u re-explain what you did

Did u make all ur music on google music available for offline use

Upvote 0
Actually as of now I can do what I want because u are able to download your music from google music onto ur phone and it saves it in the cache folder but changes the name and doesn't have the album art work, then with google music importer It's able to find the cached songs get the names and art work then put them in the music folder and it's able to play on different apps

But doing that makes u have 2 copies of each song on ur micro sd card and that takes up to much space

So I was trying to see if there was another way

All you need to do is "unpin" the songs/albums after google music importer has imported them. This is how I run my whole music to phone "system" right now. So you "pin" an album, it downloads to the phone, and then google music importer imports it to another folder with a better filename and id3 tags. After that is completed you just "unpin" and you're all set. That should give you only the one copy that was imported.

Upvote 0
I use Music Manger on my PC to download GM songs to my PC:
GMmanager.jpg

Then I just copy them to my phone (if I want it on my phone). I like having all the music (I like) on my phone. I do see double copies if I connect to GM, but I seldom do that with my phone. I listen to Google Music more on my PC. As long as I don't open GM on my phone, I only see one copy, can listen to anything off line.

Can u re-explain what you did

Did u make all ur music on google music available for offline use

Upvote 0
Yes you could put all your music on ur sd card and then you could use ur music anywhere

and when u download it from google music then put it on ur sd card does the google music app read that they where downloaded from google music and pair the songs on ur sd card and the songs from google music or does it just put both in the google music app?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, with the way google music operates, there is no way to do what you want to do. Here's why.

Google Music stores all your music with its own unique filename (like 13472.mp3) Probably because its easier that way and probably to make it harder to share. But regardless, when you sync your Google Music to your phone "for offline play", Google stores these songs with their unique filename in its cache folder, but without the cover art or other track info. I assume it stores that info either separately in another cache for playback.

This system works fine for me, or anyone else who uses the Google Music app on their phone exclusively. The problem comes in when you choose to load the same songs directly on your phone or use a 3rd party player.

A 3rd party player will not find the cached Google Music, and even if you pointed it in the right direction, it couldn't identify what track was what b/c there is not tag info. So, then if you sideload your music onto the phone to be able to use a 3rd party player....it works fine for the 3rd party player which only sees the sideloaded music.....but now Google Music sees its cached files AND your sideloaded files, and you get duplicates.

Unless and until Google changes the way it stores music locally on your phone, you will either have to NOT use Google Music for playback on your phone or not use a 3rd party player on your phone. You can't use both with Google Music Sync without duplicates.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones